FNB Share Investing

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Investor, but I am a bit irked in that some places waive the monthly account fee if you exceed a certain number of trades per month and they don't.

The fees compare favourably with what others offer.

The requests are actioned quite quickly, placed an order before 9.00 this morning , it was actioned by 9.45 which was cool.

I have 2 others pending today, I am also using the option to limit the amount that I am willing to pay per share and the number of shares, testing that option.
From the FAQ, I take it the price sensitive options are only available on the Investor option?

[The Builder trades go off at the end of the day to save on costs.]

MaPhi

Hey..Maelly... did u get help regarding your request. i would like to find out how does it work...

Maelly

Expert Member
Damn, this was ages ago. Ya, U just open that Share Trading "account" or is it "subscription" at a monthly cost of .... I actually cant recall. I tried it but I wasn't that committed so I mostly left unattended and lost a great deal on those monthly subscriptions. In the end I closed it off.

marco

Expert Member
I don't think you should be doing this by yourselves. Especially now during a volatile market. You will loose all your money plus. Wait for a while for the markets to stabilize then get a broker to manage your Futures for you.
Only 5% of the private traders make a profit.

marco

Expert Member
I don't think you should be doing this by yourselves. Especially now during a volatile market. You will loose all your money plus. Wait for a while for the markets to stabilize then get a broker to manage your Futures for you.
Only 5% of the private traders make a profit.
The best guy around is Garth Mackenzie. Watch channel 412 or go to www.imaraspreid.co.za He will do it for you for a fee only if it goes above his benchmark.

koeks

Expert Member
Hi Guys.... I'm looking at starting to trade in shares. I want to get exposure to the market.

I have R3k-R5k to play with initially. Is this a reasonable amount? I see a lot of online brokers give you R100k play money, i don't think that's reasonable because i don't have R100k to play with so i think you don't really get a true reflection of the markets. I want an experience from people that have

I have been doing a lot ot reading, i think now it's time i start.

how much did you start with and how much have you made or lost?
I'm in it for the short to long term.... I know it's not a get rich quick scheme so any advice would be appreciated.

And please don't tell me to get a professional broker. I want to do it myself...

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Hi Guys.... I'm looking at starting to trade in shares. I want to get exposure to the market.

I have R3k-R5k to play with initially. Is this a reasonable amount? I see a lot of online brokers give you R100k play money, i don't think that's reasonable because i don't have R100k to play with so i think you don't really get a true reflection of the markets. I want an experience from people that have

I have been doing a lot ot reading, i think now it's time i start.

how much did you start with and how much have you made or lost?
I'm in it for the short to long term.... I know it's not a get rich quick scheme so any advice would be appreciated.

And please don't tell me to get a professional broker. I want to do it myself...
I'm using FNB share investing. Most important point I would suggest is that you should have a reasonable "emergency" fund set aside before investing in shares - if you need to sell quickly you will in all likelihood lose money - shares are better as long term investments.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
what's reasonable? R10k???
Not enough. You need diversification and yet not get massacred by the per trade fees.

I looked at the Std bank structure a while back & concluded that I'd need 20k minimum to get even a semblance of diversification without killing the return.

Maelly

Expert Member
Any success stories to date for any of you who have been using this service or with other banks?
I think I need to learn more about this and give it another try. I am looking at "Buy and Hold" option as explained here. I am looking at buying and waiting for at least 3-5years.

Last edited:

AirWolf

Honorary Master
I've been holding Telkom shares for about two years and Mittal shares for about a year. Both are still in the red in terms of share price. Telkom did have a a good dividend when splitting with Vodacom.

Any success stories to date for any of you who have been using this service or with other banks?
I think I need to learn more about this and give it another try. I am looking at "Buy and Hold" option as explained here. I am looking at buying and waiting for at least 3-5years.

Kruben

Share Builder

Share Builder

As of today (07 January 2011) My shares look like this:

FIRSTRAND LTD up 46% cost 13.82 Market Price 20.15
MMI HOLDINGS LTD up 42% cost 12.26 Market Price 17.42 (got it with the UnBundling of FIRSTRAND LTD)
OLD MUTUAL PLC up 31% cost 10.15 Market Price 13.27
SATRIX 40 up 8% cost 26.44 Market Price 28.63

Average up 30%

very nice, hey !!

Last edited:

Messugga

Honorary Master
Share Builder

As of today (07 January 2010) My shares look like this:

FIRSTRAND LTD up 46% cost 13.82 Market Price 20.15
MMI HOLDINGS LTD up 42% cost 12.26 Market Price 17.42 (got it with the UnBundling of FIRSTRAND LTD)
OLD MUTUAL PLC up 31% cost 10.15 Market Price 13.27
SATRIX 40 up 8% cost 26.44 Market Price 28.63

Average up 30%

very nice, hey !!

Over what timespan if I may ask? If it's over a year or two, great, if it's over 10 years, not so much.

I've decided that I'm going to be investing in a unit trust at the end of the month, to get my personal portfolio started off on a slightly more serious note than it's currently at (I'm still pretty young so this is the first time I'm really starting to invest). I just don't have the guts to do my own share trading at this point in time :p

Kruben

Over what timespan if I may ask? If it's over a year or two, great, if it's over 10 years, not so much.
FIRSTRAND LTD - 2009-07-31
MMI HOLDINGS LTD -2010-12-22 (nil cost)
OLD MUTUAL PLC - (had shares) got more in 2008-12-01 and again 2008-12-29
SATRIX 40 - 2010-06-15

Messugga

Honorary Master
FIRSTRAND LTD - 2009-07-31
MMI HOLDINGS LTD -2010-12-22 (nil cost)
OLD MUTUAL PLC - (had shares) got more in 2008-12-01 and again 2008-12-29
SATRIX 40 - 2010-06-15
Thanks. Quite impressive then, well done!

Kruben

I've decided that I'm going to be investing in a unit trust* at the end of the month, to get my personal portfolio started off on a slightly more serious note than it's currently at (I'm still pretty young so this is the first time I'm really starting to invest). I just don't have the guts to do my own share trading at this point in time
*FNB Growth Fund

3 months - up 5.08%
6 months - up 19.36%
1 year - up 18.11%
3 years - up 15.70%
5 years - up 69.42%

I started my own competition FNB Growth Fund Vs FNB Share Builder , and how you see who’s winning !!

Messugga

Honorary Master
I started my own competition FNB Growth Fund Vs FNB Share Builder , and how you see who’s winning !!
Yes, but with my knowledge I'd probably end up in the red from buying completely the wrong shares! I'd be completely happy with ~14% annually, which seems to be within reach of most equity-focussed unit trusts. It's better than having money in a savings account, at least.

Kruben

Yes, but with my knowledge I'd probably end up in the red from buying completely the wrong shares! I'd be completely happy with ~14% annually, which seems to be within reach of most equity-focussed unit trusts. It's better than having money in a savings account, at least.
I have the FNB Growth Fund, Which unit trusts, are you considering ?