joshsparkie

Lines laid but nothing available as far as I know.
I also thought so, but when I checked again today on the Web Africa FTTH map, they are showing that Complex near Bay West as a fibre enabled location and the Telkom coverage map also shows the area near St Georges as a fibre enabled area (Dark purple on their map).

MickeyD

RIP
Telkom are also busy in Walmer, Summerstrand and Charlo / Lorraine.

Hallack Road is complete and Linkside close to complete.

The only active Telkom FTTH residents right now are in Thriftwoods townhouse complex near the Bay West mall in Sherwood that works off Hunters Retreat exchange.

joshsparkie

The only active Telkom FTTH residents right now are in Thriftwoods townhouse complex near the Bay West mall in Sherwood that works off Hunters Retreat exchange.
Never knew they were busy in Walmer, the guys I asked said they were laying fibre for MTN, Telkom coverage map doesn't show Walmer as a planned FTTH area, but it's good news if they are, the more fibre operators the better!

MickeyD

RIP
Never knew they were busy in Walmer, the guys I asked said they were laying fibre for MTN, Telkom coverage map doesn't show Walmer as a planned FTTH area, but it's good news if they are, the more fibre operators the better!
Telkom has existing fibre links (and plenty of ducts and poles) in the area. All they needed was to upgraded the backhaul links from Walmer through to Charlo exchanges. And then do the block feeds when required.

Electric

Honorary Master
Telkom has existing fibre links (and plenty of ducts and poles) in the area. All they needed was to upgraded the backhaul links from Walmer through to Charlo exchanges. And then do the block feeds when required.
I need dates :D

Masik3R

So Charlo/Lorraine is on the cards for FTTH in the near future?

Freaksta

Expert Member
get a video like that, of it being done within a suburb please. This method works well on a long open stretch, where there are no other cables underground, no pipes etc. But suburbs are a little different.
Currently digging up everyones driveways in my area does MTN plan on doing FTTH?

The odd thing is that its not just for example the main road, it includes side streets.

Last edited:

MickeyD

RIP
Currently digging up everyones driveways in my area does MTN plan on doing FTTH?

The odd thing is that its not just for example the main road, it includes side streets.
It does appear that MTN and Vodacom are going to compete with Telkom in some PE suburbs. Where Telkom have an advantage is that they have existing ducts and only need to dig where they need to replace damaged or blocked ducts.

Freaksta

Expert Member
It does appear that MTN and Vodacom are going to compete with Telkom in some PE suburbs. Where Telkom have an advantage is that they have existing ducts and only need to dig where they need to replace damaged or blocked ducts.
Cool thanks, as I said it is definitely MTN as we got a note in our postbox saying ZTE is doing the installation. Have not come past our driveway yet though. My parents aren't too keen on them ripping up our fairly new driveway lol.

Last edited:

Electric

Honorary Master
Cool thanks, as I said it is definitely MTN as we got a note in our postbox saying ZTE is doing the installation. Having come past our driveway yet though. My parents aren't to keen on them ripping up our fairly new driveway lol.
We had the same issue, new driveway.
Thankfully they laid the cable just past where we had the driveway.

Freaksta

Expert Member
We had the same issue, new driveway.
Thankfully they laid the cable just past where we had the driveway.
Our driveway goes all the way to the road so they cannot avoid it. Anyhow we wait and see what happens.

joshsparkie

Our was laid about 3 weeks back.
Now the wait to get FTTH.
Wish MTN would give an ETA, they all say they are forwarding my details to the relevant people and I'm still waiting for feedback, one of the supervisors said he reckons it may be done as soon as this month or next month but I don't know if that's only for the ducts or the actual fibre optic cables

Electric

Honorary Master
Wish MTN would give an ETA, they all say they are forwarding my details to the relevant people and I'm still waiting for feedback, one of the supervisors said he reckons it may be done as soon as this month or next month but I don't know if that's only for the ducts or the actual fibre optic cables
Everything is basically done here.
I just don't know when I can get fiber.