joshsparkie

Cool thanks, as I said it is definitely MTN as we got a note in our postbox saying ZTE is doing the installation. Have not come past our driveway yet though. My parents aren't too keen on them ripping up our fairly new driveway lol.
Did they perhaps give any email address so we could enquire when they will start allowing sign ups?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I only saw this thread now. MTN started tearing up my pavement today. I had no idea they were even installing a fibre network in Mill Park, and after checking their FTTH prices on their website I don't know why they're bothering.

This is pretty annoying tbh. I welcome competition, but R1500pm for 500GB data and R879pm for 100Mbps line rental is not competition. That's R2379pm - really MTN?! I'd sooner not have fibre than pay those crazy prices on their closed network.

Electric

Honorary Master
I only saw this thread now. MTN started tearing up my pavement today. I had no idea they were even installing a fibre network in Mill Park, and after checking their FTTH prices on their website I don't know why they're bothering.

This is pretty annoying tbh. I welcome competition, but R1500pm for 500GB data and R879pm for 100Mbps line rental is not competition. That's R2379pm - really MTN?! I'd sooner not have fibre than pay those crazy prices on their closed network.
Yep.
MTN have completed all work in my area but I won't touch them at their current fiber prices.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Yep.
MTN have completed all work in my area but I won't touch them at their current fiber prices.
I don't understand how MTN can have anyone on their FTTH network, unless they had no other fixed line option. The prices aren't even close to competitive, and it's a closed network. It would take a truly amazing deal to get me to consider a closed FTTH option.

If MTN wants to play the game that way, it's a massive waste of money to install fibre in areas that have any other option.

Electric

Honorary Master
I don't understand how MTN can have anyone on their FTTH network, unless they had no other fixed line option. The prices aren't even close to competitive, and it's a closed network. It would take a truly amazing deal to get me to consider a closed FTTH option.

If MTN wants to play the game that way, it's a massive waste of money to install fibre in areas that have any other option.
Well as it stands if they force the closed network option at these current prices, the entire installation process would be a total waste of time and money.
They will probably realize this soon enough though when people tell them to take a flying leap.

joshsparkie

Well as it stands if they force the closed network option at these current prices, the entire installation process would be a total waste of time and money.
They will probably realize this soon enough though when people tell them to take a flying leap.
I hear they are in the process of allowing open access but we will have to wait and see

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I hear they are in the process of allowing open access but we will have to wait and see
Where you hear that? Even so, from what I've read here about fibre installations, Telkom has by far the highest standards. I'd rather get my FTTH line from Telkom anyway.

These MTN guys outside my house have built a pathetic trench for their line. Telkom went much deeper when they went past a few weeks ago.

The only way I'd ever consider this Supersonic crap is if they offer similar value compared to the small fibre companies.

Frogfoot: R1099pm for 100Mbps line & 600GB data
Fibrehoods: R1099pm for 100Mbps line & 1TB data
Dark Fibre Africa: R1249pm for 100Mbps line & 1TB data

Anything less and I'll rather go with Telkom's open network. 600GB with Afrihost, incl. uncapped midnight data, a free Simfy account, 500MB mobile data and a 100Mbps Telkom line costs R1.5k pm.

joshsparkie

Where you hear that? Even so, from what I've read here about fibre installations, Telkom has by far the highest standards. I'd rather get my FTTH line from Telkom anyway.

These MTN guys outside my house have built a pathetic trench for their line. Telkom went much deeper when they went past a few weeks ago.

The only way I'd ever consider this Supersonic crap is if they offer similar value compared to the small fibre companies.

Frogfoot: R1099pm for 100Mbps line & 600GB data
Fibrehoods: R1099pm for 100Mbps line & 1TB data
Dark Fibre Africa: R1249pm for 100Mbps line & 1TB data

Anything less and I'll rather go with Telkom's open network. 600GB with Afrihost, incl. uncapped midnight data, a free Simfy account, 500MB mobile data and a 100Mbps Telkom line costs R1.5k pm.
I'm also on that afrihost package at the moment :D yeah would love to keep this package. Here are some links: http://www.techcentral.co.za/mtn-embraces-open-access-fibre/58284/ and http://techfinancials.co.za/2015/10/20/mtn-takes-steps-to-embrace-open-access/ . MTN'S line only prices seem more or less the same as Telkom's so when the open access does go through it should be more or less the same as telkom fibre with prices. I just want to get fibre ASAP to be honest doesn't matter which provider :thumbup:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm also on that afrihost package at the moment :D yeah would love to keep this package. Here are some links: http://www.techcentral.co.za/mtn-embraces-open-access-fibre/58284/ and http://techfinancials.co.za/2015/10/20/mtn-takes-steps-to-embrace-open-access/ . MTN'S line only prices seem more or less the same as Telkom's so when the open access does go through it should be more or less the same as telkom fibre with prices. I just want to get fibre ASAP to be honest doesn't matter which provider :thumbup:
From the first link:

MTN defines an open-access network as a “flexible platform that will allow any ISP with a valid electronic communications service licence, and who has signed an agreement with MTN, to integrate the services they provide to end users. This in turn will enable a range of service providers to provide their customers with connectivity services via the MTN network.”

Sounds like something to steer very clear of. Here in PE I think Telkom will beat MTN to every suburb, based on what's happening atm. Very poor planning from MTN. When you're not even close to competitive with your prices, don't setup where competition exists.

joshsparkie

I just want to know when this damn infrastructure will be usable.
Emailed MTN a couple of times, they tell me they are already rolling out infrastructure (as we already know) but we must register interest on their website to speed up rollout to our area. Also when I emailed the local FTTH contact for my area (possibly whole of PE'S contact) he told me Telkom FTTH would be coming to my address probably before the end of the second quarter of next year.

Electric

Honorary Master
Emailed MTN a couple of times, they tell me they are already rolling out infrastructure (as we already know) but we must register interest on their website to speed up rollout to our area. Also when I emailed the local FTTH contact for my area (possibly whole of PE'S contact) he told me Telkom FTTH would be coming to my address probably before the end of the second quarter of next year.
That's not my issue.
Everything has been laid a few weeks back but I have no idea when we can actually utilize the line.

joshsparkie

From the first link:

MTN defines an open-access network as a “flexible platform that will allow any ISP with a valid electronic communications service licence, and who has signed an agreement with MTN, to integrate the services they provide to end users. This in turn will enable a range of service providers to provide their customers with connectivity services via the MTN network.”

Sounds like something to steer very clear of. Here in PE I think Telkom will beat MTN to every suburb, based on what's happening atm. Very poor planning from MTN. When you're not even close to competitive with your prices, don't setup where competition exists.
Sounds the exact same as a Telkom IPC to be honest (they also sign an agreement with telkom and have to have a valid communications service licence and then are able to utilise Telkom's last mile services for their own products). That's basically what already happens if you get your line/data from like Afrihost for example (with ADSL/VDSL).

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Sounds the exact same as a Telkom IPC to be honest (they also sign an agreement with telkom and have to have a valid communications service licence and then are able to utilise Telkom's last mile services for their own products). That's basically what already happens if you get your line/data from like Afrihost for example (with ADSL/VDSL).
Sure, but you can't help assume that MTN would see to it that no one comes along and humiliates them on their own network.

Also, if MTN wants an open network why are they installing fibre in the same places Telkom is.

MickeyD

RIP
Sure, but you can't help assume that MTN would see to it that no one comes along and humiliates them on their own network.

Also, if MTN wants an open network why are they installing fibre in the same places Telkom is.
In many cases where MTN and Vodacom are rolling out FTTH you will find that they were in the process of upgrading their own backhaul links to mobile sites in the same area. Or they were installing their own fibre links to their own towers so that they could cancel their leased links from Telkom.

Makes business sense...

Last edited:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
In many cases where MTN and Vodacom are rolling out FTTH you will find that they were in the process of upgrading their own backhaul links to mobile sites in the same area. Or they were installing their own fibre links to their own towers so that they could cancel their leased links from Telkom.

Makes business sense...
I see. At least there's some sensibility in it I suppose.

Something I've been wondering - how did MTN get permission to tear up Mill Park? The Telkom fibre stuff was always communicated with the residents, plenty of us expressed a desire for Telkom FTTH, the installation crew are polite, quiet and quick and the existing Telkom infrastructure needs replacing anyway.

But none of us wanted MTN, none of us knew about MTN coming in, our suburb has no ties to MTN, the MTN installation crew is extremely loud and leaves total devastation in their wake and the service they're trying to supply is redundant and overpriced. None of the residents here that I've spoken to aren't furious about MTN imposing themselves - especially one poor chap around the corner and down the road who hasn't had a proper driveway for nearly a month.

All this crap, and for absolutely nothing.

Electric

Honorary Master
I see. At least there's some sensibility in it I suppose.

Something I've been wondering - how did MTN get permission to tear up Mill Park? The Telkom fibre stuff was always communicated with the residents, plenty of us expressed a desire for Telkom FTTH, the installation crew are polite, quiet and quick and the existing Telkom infrastructure needs replacing anyway.

But none of us wanted MTN, none of us knew about MTN coming in, our suburb has no ties to MTN, the MTN installation crew is extremely loud and leaves total devastation in their wake and the service they're trying to supply is redundant and overpriced. None of the residents here that I've spoken to aren't furious about MTN imposing themselves - especially one poor chap around the corner and down the road who hasn't had a proper driveway for nearly a month.

All this crap, and for absolutely nothing.
I noticed they left loads of driveways in a state with bricks lying on the side of the driveway and a terrible patch up job.

MickeyD

RIP
You must remember that MTN don't do the work themselves - everything is outsourced to suppliers / contractors. However there should be a MTN project manager or Liaison Officer...

The contractor is meant to have signs up indicating their own name as well as who they are contracting for on that job. There should also be contact numbers on those signs, which are sometimes stuck on their trucks.

Get that number and ask for the contact details of the MTN regional manager. Then go ballistic!