Gaming system: what to upgrade next?

stefan9

Executive Member
Intel has a huge demand server side, they make more money there. AMD will probably have something similar with 3rd Gen ryzen if IPC is good/close to claimed.
Intel has yield issues on their 14nm . Added their inability to get their 10nm going as well and its not suprising that all their yields are virtually going server side.

We will see but haven't seen any indication that AMD will suffer the same issues.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Intel has yield issues on their 14nm . Added their inability to get their 10nm going as well and its not suprising that all their yields are virtually going server side.

We will see but haven't seen any indication that AMD will suffer the same issues.
Mind mentioning sources as to 14nm yield issues? More that they thought they would be at lower process node and didn't open new factories while demand has increased over years and in order to remain relevant they have increased the size of CPU reducing wafer yield.

stefan9

Executive Member
Mind mentioning sources as to 14nm yield issues? More that they thought they would be at lower process node and didn't open new factories while demand has increased over years and in order to remain relevant they have increased the size of CPU reducing wafer yield.
Seen it on a few YouTube vids in the last while concerning Intel and AMD. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact one, watch way too many to give you an exact channel or vid . Sorry.

djbrendan

Expert Member
I actually for one, quite happy AMD is getting back in the game, Zen 2 looking amazing ( with the little we know )
Intel was forced to up their game a lot, which we haven't seen in YEARSSS. Good on AMD

stefan9

Executive Member
Seen it on a few YouTube vids in the last while concerning Intel and AMD. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact one, watch way too many to give you an exact channel or vid . Sorry.
Steve Burke of gamers nexus mentioned both issues on todays video again. Intel has big shortages with their 14nm and a problem getting 10nm out.

djbrendan

Expert Member
Oky so got a 1080ti...
Now i'm having another problem.. my frames stay around 120-140 (Bfv) and once in a while it just dips to 75-85... The gtx1070 never had these big drops.

I've removes drivers and rolled back. My settings are only at high ( compared to normal on the 1070 )

Any idea what this could be or what i can check?

ponder

Honorary Master
Erm yeah that site seems like a load of bollocks.
We recommend you to replace Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40GHz with Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz
In reality looking at benchmarks comparing the cpus paired with 1080ti/2080ti you'll be lucky to see a 10% improvement when it comes to gaming, productivity is a different story. Then you see them listing the r5 2600x with the 8700k and we know they are not in the same league when it comes to gaming.

djbrendan

Expert Member
It's only in AAA games like bfv.. dota 2 plays just fine , always above 150fps. I know dota isn't graphic intensive like bf.

But it's bothering me , ram is clocked at 3000mhz. Maybe i should do a bench where you guys can see my full system spec? Maybe i'm missing something?

ponder

Honorary Master
Oky so got a 1080ti...
Now i'm having another problem.. my frames stay around 120-140 (Bfv) and once in a while it just dips to 75-85... The gtx1070 never had these big drops.

I've removes drivers and rolled back. My settings are only at high ( compared to normal on the 1070 )

Any idea what this could be or what i can check?
Plot a graph of cpu vs gpu utilization during gameplay, in msi afterburner_>settings->monitoring->log history to file. The log file you can open with any browser.

Elements to monitor cpu utilization, cpu temp, fps, gpu utilization, gpu temp, ram utilisation. All this will be displayed in the log file as a timed graph so if you see a fps dip it might correlate with a 100% cpu spike. You can upload the log file to share with us if you want.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Erm yeah that site seems like a load of bollocks.

In reality looking at benchmarks comparing the cpus paired with 1080ti/2080ti you'll be lucky to see a 10% improvement when it comes to gaming, productivity is a different story. Then you see them listing the r5 2600x with the 8700k and we know they are not in the same league when it comes to gaming.
Except someone else is having a similar problem with an i6700k and a 1080ti and BFV?
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9wgkjl
Google the combo together and it seems the CPU is indeed the bottleneck. It's possibly the fact that it's 4 cores? Who knows but it seems there might be an optimisation issues.

CUDlybunny

Expert Member
It's only in AAA games like bfv.. dota 2 plays just fine , always above 150fps. I know dota isn't graphic intensive like bf.

But it's bothering me , ram is clocked at 3000mhz. Maybe i should do a bench where you guys can see my full system spec? Maybe i'm missing something?
I've got 1080ti, 8700k and running ram at 3500mhz.

We can try make comparisons. I don't expect to see much higher fps but for sure less drops.

Edit: I believe BFV makes use of all 6 cores...

Last edited: