Gaming system: what to upgrade next?

djbrendan

Expert Member
Hi all,

So i moved from 1080p to 1440p just a few weeks ago. Now, i'm used to getting above 100fps in most current games like, battlefield, destiny 2 et c.
The only reason i'd like to have higher fps is to sync with my monitor between 120hz and more

Now this isn't the case anymore with the bump in resolution. So... I'm pondering what to start upgrading..

We know a GPU is the biggest factor here to increase those fps master race numbers. But here are my system specs.

G1 Gtx 1070
Z270 motherboard
Nvme SSD samsung evo
Intel i7 6700 ( non k)
16 gb ddr 4 ( 8 x2 ) at 3000mhz
Dell S2719dgf 1440p ( overclockable to 155hz )

What would you guys upgrade next? Keep in mind i don't have a lot of cash atm so i'm working with a plan here.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
The 20 series just seems overpriced at the moment or what ?
That's the SA way, I was thinking more along the lines of a nicely looked after 1080 Ti.

It has about the same performance as the 2080 and significantly faster than a 1070, like 30FPS faster in most games.

It's the difference between lowering settings to reach 1440P 60FPS and having everything on highest and getting 80+FPS.

StoneCold

Expert Member
Hi all,

So i moved from 1080p to 1440p just a few weeks ago. Now, i'm used to getting above 100fps in most current games like, battlefield, destiny 2 et c.
The only reason i'd like to have higher fps is to sync with my monitor between 120hz and more

Now this isn't the case anymore with the bump in resolution. So... I'm pondering what to start upgrading..

We know a GPU is the biggest factor here to increase those fps master race numbers. But here are my system specs.

G1 Gtx 1070
Z270 motherboard
Nvme SSD samsung evo
Intel i7 6700 ( non k)

What would you guys upgrade next? Keep in mind i don't have a lot of cash atm so i'm working with a plan here.
I assume you also bought that monitor a while back when Evetech had the special on it for R5500?

I bought one too and loving mine to bits with the G-Sync compatibility :cool:

Arex

Definitely a gaming Chair.

But on a serious note, Definitely the GPU unless you have cooling issues or bad components.

djbrendan

Expert Member
I assume you also bought that monitor a while back when Evetech had the special on it for R5500?

I bought one too and loving mine to bits with the G-Sync compatibility :cool:
Soooo, i don't have much luck. Bought this great monitor then 2 days later while it was being shipped the special came in :/

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
The GPU for now, but soon it will probably be the 6700 once games become better threaded, will be quite interesting to see what the new Ryzen will manage single-threaded on 7nm. I think the announcement should be May, availability in June, not sure in SA though. AMD stated at CES availability mid-2019.

djbrendan

Expert Member
I would go for used 1080ti plenty on carbonite.
True, saw quite a few ranging from R7000-R9000. Considering the power of that card compared to the rest of the 2000 series, i'd say it's pretty much got a lot of oomph left

djbrendan

Expert Member
The GPU for now, but soon it will probably be the 6700 once games become better threaded, will be quite interesting to see what the new Ryzen will manage single-threaded on 7nm. I think the announcement should be May, availability in June, not sure in SA though. AMD stated at CES availability mid-2019.
Waiting to see it myself, sounds promising.

stefan9

Executive Member
One of the cpu's could be announced early with AMD's 50th birthday being on 1 May.

Lisa Su will give Amd's keynote speech at computex on 27 May. Expected that she will announce the full ryzen cpu lineup and navi gpu's.

Some rumours that the 570x mobo's for the platform could be available from end of this month. They are backward compatible with ryzen 1st and second gen.

As for availability AMD don't seem to have an issue getting their cpu's out to market currently unlike Intel. Expect that to continue for the 3000 series. GPU's a totally different matter.

I am eagerly awaiting this launch my whole 2019 upgrade is build around ryzen 3000. Hopefully AMD doesn't disappoint.

stefan9

Executive Member
Hi all,

G1 Gtx 1070
Z270 motherboard
Nvme SSD samsung evo
Intel i7 6700 ( non k)

GPU first, cpu next.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
One of the cpu's could be announced early with AMD's 50th birthday being on 1 May.

Lisa Su will give Amd's keynote speech at computex on 27 May. Expected that she will announce the full ryzen cpu lineup and navi gpu's.

Some rumours that the 570x mobo's for the platform could be available from end of this month. They are backward compatible with ryzen 1st and second gen.

As for availability AMD don't seem to have an issue getting their cpu's out to market currently unlike Intel. Expect that to continue for the 3000 series. GPU's a totally different matter.

I am eagerly awaiting this launch my whole 2019 upgrade is build around ryzen 3000. Hopefully AMD doesn't disappoint.
Intel has a huge demand server side, they make more money there. AMD will probably have something similar with 3rd Gen ryzen if IPC is good/close to claimed.