Gaming system: what to upgrade next?

djbrendan

Expert Member
I've got 1080ti, 8700k and running ram at 3500mhz.

We can try make comparisons. I don't expect to see much higher fps but for sure less drops.
Sure, let me know what your current screen resolution is and at which graphic settings. I'll then get back to you with my drops with a log file, temps et c.

ponder

Honorary Master
Except someone else is having a similar problem with an i6700k and a 1080ti and BFV?
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9wgkjl
Google the combo together and it seems the CPU is indeed the bottleneck. It's possibly the fact that it's 4 cores? Who knows but it seems there might be an optimisation issues.
In that very same discussion there are people with OC'ed r7 2700x also having fps dropouts and they are playing at 1080p. Op is gaming at 1440p which usually takes a bit of load off the cpu, not sure if bfv behaves the same.

If the cpu is indeed hitting 100% he'll have to start playing around with game settings and nvidia control panel settings to lessen load on the cpu while not losing too many fps in order to get more stable fps without big dips. This can be a laborious process.

CUDlybunny

Sure, let me know what your current screen resolution is and at which graphic settings. I'll then get back to you with my drops with a log file, temps et c.
I'll get to BFV sometime tonight, show me your settings then i'll replicate them.

For now heres my 3dmark firestrike extreme benchmark, CPU at 4.7ghz

Untitled.jpg

Lupus

Honorary Master
In that very same discussion there are people with OC'ed r7 2700x also having fps dropouts and they are playing at 1080p. Op is gaming at 1440p which usually takes a bit of load off the cpu, not sure if bfv behaves the same.

If the cpu is indeed hitting 100% he'll have to start playing around with game settings and nvidia control panel settings to lessen load on the cpu while not losing too many fps in order to get more stable fps without big dips. This can be a laborious process.
Agreed that's why it's probably an optimisation issue on BFV?

djbrendan

Expert Member
Firestrike extreme, nothing customised. It runs it at 1440p. I expect you to score closer to 10-11k?

Note: turn off gsync/freesync and any kind of vsync when benchmarking.
Gsync is off in nvidia panel.

Running a bench now, once done i'll share it here

djbrendan

Expert Member
Just updating BIOS first, see i missed quite a few :x
So i saw the cpu stuck on 3.3ghz for some odd reason and boost only slightly above 3.3ghz, updated bios and it now shows 3.4ghz base clock and 3.8ghz boost core clock speed. I have a weird feeling this is where it was struggling

Attachments

djbrendan

Expert Member
Oky so played a game, all seems fine now. Had no extreme dips.. The xmp profile was on, setting the boost clock to the base clock and seems to have been the issue.

Attachments