General Photography

bwana

Hehe. Luckily this is where my years of weightlifting will come in handy.

That or the monopod is coming out of retirement again.
Nice lens - enjoy :)

It's not a heavy lens so you won't be needing a monopod... save that for something a little heavier ;)

APoc184

Honorary Master
Nice lens - enjoy :)

It's not a heavy lens so you won't be needing a monopod... save that for something a little heavier ;)
Jip. Had the Tamron version when I still had my Nikon kit so pretty excited to now have an OEM version.

Might still opt for the monopod on our upcoming camping trips. Those damn birds can certainly take their time to go sit on the right branch. :D

bwana

Jip. Had the Tamron version when I still had my Nikon kit so pretty excited to now have an OEM version.

Might still opt for the monopod on our upcoming camping trips. Those damn birds can certainly take their time to go sit on the right branch. :D
Just don't expect too much @400mm if you use the TC.

airborne

Executive Member
Yeah I believe the loss is 2 stops? And also a quite a drop in sharpness if I remember correctly from reading up years ago.

Probably only use that for desperate shots.
I'd flog it straight away and recoup some of the costs, the 2x tc is pretty much useless, why would you attach a tub of vaseline to your super duper 70-200mm. My experience with the same setup is you'll try once or twice and then never again, the results with the tc attached are too much of a downgrade.

bwana

I'd flog it straight away and recoup some of the costs, the 2x tc is pretty much useless, why would you attach a tub of vaseline to your super duper 70-200mm. My experience with the same setup is you'll try once or twice and then never again, the results with the tc attached are too much of a downgrade.
No, I wouldn't go quite that far. It has its uses you just have to know its limitations

I use mine all the time.

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 14.11.31.jpg

APoc184

Honorary Master
Ha! Not what I was planning to use the lens on first. But mommy and daughter baked cupcakes for junior's 2nd birthday tomorrow and she asked me to take a snap so that she can share with a friend and daughter's teacher at school. I obliged of course.

Forgot how awesome this glass is. Probably some of the cleanest bokeh.

Less said about the icing job mommy did, the better for my physical well being :D

Apoc-6380.jpg

bwana

You may have noticed a tripod above - not a big fan of them in general but since I got it for Christmas I might as well go ahead and recommend it.

It's a Pro-J Jenova Carbon Fiber Tripod 35853BL. Weighing in at 1.8kg it's pretty light and folds down into a compact, easy to pack, size. It also converts into a convenient monopod which I'll probably use more than in it's tripod form. The ball head has an adjustable horizontal panning action that will probably be useful for video.

View attachment 408688
Had a little oopsie last night when I removed the body from the lens and forgot to lock the ball. Split like a sausage on the braai...

Wondering if a cycle shop might stock what I need to make a more permanent repair?

IMG_20180214_083524520.jpg

bwana

From what I can see the tripod shaft split open underneath the head.

Now held together by cable ties (and duct tape/carbon fibre tape?)
Yeah - longitudinal split - about 5cm long. Currently bound with duct tape and cable ties. Seems to be holding for now.