General Photography

The lens does, but it's up to the camera's software to be able to accept/access the information present on the lens, which the 400D's firmware might be outdated for.
It would probably 'know' what lens it is if you stored the peripheral illumination correction profile on the camera for it, though (I can't remember, but I think the 400D has that function, anyway).

Alternatively, if you were using a teleconverter (560mm?), that's likely to blame. Can't remember why, but there are some lens+TC+camera combinations that cause the camera to simply not know what TC nor lens model are connected.
 
It's not the teleconverter - it's that the last firmware update for the 400D was 1.1.1 which…
Adds detailed information about three new lenses.
Adds details about EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, and EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM. This makes the correct lens names appear in Exif information and in printing when using PictBridge.
 
I got a nice rare 22 year old lens from a friend, everything works fine except for sticking/oily aperture blades which makes the apeture stay wide open.

The lens takes very nice photos and I would have loved for it to have full functionality.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix it/get it fixed? I tried dismantling it but soon realised that I wouldn't be able to but it back together again.
 
I got a nice rare 22 year old lens from a friend, everything works fine except for sticking/oily aperture blades which makes the apeture stay wide open.

The lens takes very nice photos and I would have loved for it to have full functionality.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix it/get it fixed? I tried dismantling it but soon realised that I wouldn't be able to but it back together again.

Dominatrix, I think your best bet would be to try take the lens in for a service at a place like CameraTek. They should be able to sort you out, especially with the older lenses. If it is indeed just some sticky aperture blades, am sure that it wont even break the bank...

hope this helps....
 
Dominatrix, I think your best bet would be to try take the lens in for a service at a place like CameraTek. They should be able to sort you out, especially with the older lenses. If it is indeed just some sticky aperture blades, am sure that it wont even break the bank...

hope this helps....

Thanks, I think I'll just use the lens the way it is. It's not worth paying a couple hundred rands to get it fixed. Would have been nice though if everything was working since this lens were only manufactured for one year and are therefore quite rare, especially since a lot of photographers never bothered buying them.

For those wondering what lens this is, it's a Minolta 35-80mm Power Zoom lens. The only lens that I've came across with powered zoom for a DLSR.
 
These lenses were all the rage until people started using them. It was mostly popular with first-time SLR buyers, coming from compact cameras where motorised zoom is the only way.

If I recall correctly, Pentax had a few too.
 
While searching for the Canon one I spotted a some statements from a few months ago where Canon were supposedly talking about making some new powered zoom lenses. If I had to guess, I'd say the most likely situation where they might do so is in lenses for their mirrorless bodies, since having an internal zoom mechanism might be more compact than having to use a barrel-mounted one. Coupled with focus by wire, it could also afford greater weather-sealing capability by having one less point on the barrel for water to leak in. Who knows.
 
One of my newer lenses comes with motorized focusing. It's buttery smooth so I presume it's intended for video.
 
One of my newer lenses comes with motorized focusing. It's buttery smooth so I presume it's intended for video.

The Minolta Power Zoom lenses (there were three made if I recall correctly) comes with motorized zoom and focus which can be controlled with one ring. You can also set the Dlsr to manual mode and then everything can be operated manually, but I find it too slow so I just use auto focus but still have to ability to use the power zoom funcion.
 
This is why I hate shooting afternoon matches at NMB stadium

F1088174-DE37-40DC-A47E-836162AFCE8D-15308-000009272B6B7473_zpsa2041c0f.jpg
 
After spending two hours in the pouring rain tonight I can wholeheartedly recommend this little beauty.

TTP-PXSUNCRN-OPEN.jpg
 
Is that the laptop sun screen product from Think Tank?
Indeed it is. Probably not designed for use in the rain but it kept my laptop dry, well mostly dry - I ended up dripping on it.
 
Indeed it is. Probably not designed for use in the rain but it kept my laptop dry, well mostly dry - I ended up dripping on it.

Thanks Bwana. Looking for exactly such a product for my techies in the field.
 
Thanks Bwana. Looking for exactly such a product for my techies in the field.

I would test one before deploying them on a wide scale - their intended purpose is as a sunshield after all.
 
I would test one before deploying them on a wide scale - their intended purpose is as a sunshield after all.

I will get one or two first. Let the guys try them out. Sun shield is our biggest need. Techies struggle with screens in the field. I was't aware of this product.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X