Govt to announce e-toll date

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://business.iafrica.com/news/819682.html

Government is due to make an announcement on Friday when e-tolls will be implemented.
This follows a Constitutional Court ruling two weeks ago which set aside a North Gauteng High Court interdict against the implementation of the controversial project.
Gauteng residents will know before the end of the week when and how they will be expected to pay to use the province's highways.
Despite the fact that a court review on e-tolling is still due to take place next month, government is allowed to implement it before then.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Thabo Masebe said, “We will make an announcement after having consulted with all the interested parties.
“Our view is that we have made a lot of progress. All interested parties agree with the user pay principle.
It is unclear whether the Transport Department will also announce the tariffs for e-tolls on Friday.
Meanwhile, The Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance said it will continue discussions with the inter-ministerial committee on e-tolls, despite government's plans to push ahead.
Outa chairman Wayne Duvenage is taking a wait and see approach.
“We’re still in discussions and negotiations with the inter-ministerial committee on how we can settle this outside of court.
"We’ll have to see what transpires; when they’re going to launch and how they’re going to launch.”
Duvenage said the fight to completely scrap e-tolls is not yet over, as the high court is still due to review the project.
The inter-ministerial committee said it was satisfied that most interested parties have agreed on the user pay principle and that the project should go ahead as soon as possible.
(Edited by Thato Motaung)

Spot the problem here.... el Minstero speaks with forked tongue! :mad:

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Not paying. Hope us Gautengelengers :)wtf:) stick together on this.

Skywalker786

Expert Member
Now if only ALL Johannesburg residents/drivers can put up a united front and protest.

daveza

Honorary Master
Gauteng residents will know before the end of the week when and how they will be expected to pay to use the province's highways.

So non-Gauteng residents will get a free ride...

http://www.itweb.co.za/index.php?op...=58994:E-toll-regulations-to-be-gazetted-soon

Government yesterday announced a breakthrough with religious leaders regarding e-tolling, where it was agreed that the system should be used to fund the roads.

What the hell have religious leaders got to do with e-tolls ?? :erm::confused:

Bizkit87

Executive Member
so here is what I don't understand, perhaps someone could clear this up for me

If they are punting the 'User pays' principle, WHY IN THE HELL ARE TAXI'S AND BUSES EXEMPTED? aren't they 'users' on the road as well?

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Government yesterday announced a breakthrough with religious leaders regarding e-tolling, where it was agreed that the system should be used to fund the roads.

Maybe use it to manipulate road users? I know that is a longshot conspiracy theory but it's all I can come up with as I am as perplexed as you are by that statement.

blunomore

Honorary Master

They probably tried to convince the religious leaders to tell their members/congregations that it is the will of God that they have to pay etolls.

OMB

Mountain Man

they're negotiating on behalf of the poor who will be using taxi's so will be exempt anyway

thestaggy

Honorary Master
so here is what I don't understand, perhaps someone could clear this up for me

If they are punting the 'User pays' principle, WHY IN THE HELL ARE TAXI'S AND BUSES EXEMPTED? aren't they 'users' on the road as well?

Simple; Taxis would sooner burn those gantries down than pay to use the road. Great bit of business not making taxis pay. The average law abiding citizen will crumble to their demands but the taxis will flip them a toffee.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
All interested parties agree with the user pay principle.

Cool, will the taxes that I pay now only be used for my account? I can live with that.

reactor_sa

Executive Member

Didn't you know ANC is a religion??
I heard zuma is a god among men, and that when malema comes back it will be the end of the world as we know it.

Bizkit87

Executive Member
Simple; Taxis would sooner burn those gantries down than pay to use the road. Great bit of business not making taxis pay. The average law abiding citizen will crumble to their demands but the taxis will flip them a toffee.

So, on that very definition of 'user pays' won't we [the people of gauteng] be able to take them to court based on the fact that they say all users must pay, but then they let the taxi mafia not pay? Surely something in our constitution will be against this? Either ALL users pay, or no users pay !!!

Wag

Expert Member
All of them can go to a stinking toilet and fark themselves or each other, but I will not pay this absorbent amount of money.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
So, on that very definition of 'user pays' won't we [the people of gauteng] be able to take them to court based on the fact that they say all users must pay, but then they let the taxi mafia not pay? Surely something in our constitution will be against this? Either ALL users pay, or no users pay !!!

Fully agree, but they will be scared of the taxi mobs. They always back down when the taxis get upset and it is almost a guarantee that the taxis will schit their collective pants if they are made to pay. As far as I am concerned buses and taxis will use the roads more (they will make multiple trips a day) and are in a better position to foot the bill (30c divided by 16+ people vs 1 or 2 per car).

If anybody should be exempt it should logistical companies. The tolls will ensure an increase in the price of all goods to cover increased transport costs.

grok

Honorary Master
The inter-ministerial committee said it was satisfied that most interested parties have agreed on the user pay principle and that the project should go ahead as soon as possible.

The minister seems to equate the 'user pay principle' with acceptance of e-tolling.

User pay principle is fine as far as road upgrades go, but the inefficient method of collecting the payments (e-tolls) is not. User pay principle is fine as far as paying for the roads goes, but paying for the corruption behind e-tolls is not. We will simply not get e-tags if e-tolling is given the go-ahead.

Last edited: