Govt to announce e-toll date

Wyzak

Expert Member
I won't be getting an e-tag and I will make them bleed and pay for every cent they get out of me. I will find every little administrative detail in their systems and use them all to my defence, even if just to annoy them and waste their time to answer it.

Wyzak

Expert Member
This user is already paying for the roads by way of national fiscus and fuel levies. He feels that he is paying more than enough.

daveza

Honorary Master
my fellow white man, first sign of "punishment" and they will run to get an e-tag..

I get the sense this time is different.

Hopefully.

Macethy

I get the sense this time is different.

Hopefully.

Yeah I'm also hopeful but after seeing the miles of queuing people at the e-tag offices a few months ago when "the deadline was set in stone", I will have to wait and see. Luckily I can avoid highways almost everywhere i go, sucks about the price of EVERYTHING in shops from now on though...

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Yeah I'm also hopeful but after seeing the miles of queuing people at the e-tag offices a few months ago when "the deadline was set in stone", I will have to wait and see. Luckily I can avoid highways almost everywhere i go, sucks about the price of EVERYTHING in shops from now on though...

Until those that use the highways decide to leave them and hit the backroads. I too use backroads but I am more than willing to buy a bike/scooter should traffice become ridiculous because of increased usage.

daveza

Honorary Master
miles of queuing people at the e-tag offices

Really ? I was under the impression that the staff spent all day playing solitaire.

Paul_S

Expert Member
The ANC can use the money I pay via fuel taxes and levies to fund this scam.
Back roads for me until SANRAL folds.

Albereth

Honorary Master

You did? The only people that I have ever seen at one of those offices have been bored sales people - Gallo Manor Shopping Centre and bored security people - Rivonia Road off ramp.

I know that Europcar had stuck them on all their cars in Durban - they've all been taken off since then.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
The ANC can use the money I pay via fuel taxes and levies to fund this scam.
Back roads for me until SANRAL folds.

I still think ANC subsides taxis with our fuel taxes etc. Remember about 8 years ago taxis blocked the n1 etc when fuel prices increased ... haven't seen them block the n1 for years. THAT is where our taxes and levies go to....

House

Banned
I can confidently say that something else have been discussed by senior politicians as well. This is still in talks only, nothing on paper as yet, but they are looking at, over and above the eToll system for charging fees when people enter different neighbourhoods, no matter what road you take - the same principal used in London.

If this is about to go through, they want to test it in JHB CBD, Sandton and Midrand. Talking about a R5 to R10 fee for entering the CBD per day. You may get a monthly or annual bill.

blunomore

Honorary Master
I can confidently say that something else have been discussed by senior politicians as well. This is still in talks only, nothing on paper as yet, but they are looking at, over and above the eToll system for charging fees when people enter different neighbourhoods, no matter what road you take - the same principal used in London.

If this is about to go through, they want to test it in JHB CBD, Sandton and Midrand. Talking about a R5 to R10 fee for entering the CBD per day. You may get a monthly or annual bill.

Is this (officially) to encourage people to use public transport, or is it just to fill their coffers ?

House

Banned
Is this (officially) to encourage people to use public transport, or is it just to fill their coffers ?

Personally I think it is to fill coffers (and pockets). Although, the main reason according to them is to encourage people making use of public transportation.

The reason for my personal opinion is that some officials asked for this to be implemented even in neighbourhoods and not only in business districts.

If all goes well, this may be going on a test basis next year.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Can they start tolling before the high court case ends?

Yup, that's what they are desperately trying to do, so that even once the high court case has ended, if the judgement is not in their favor, they will argue that they can't reverse the process cause it has gone to far.