Govt to announce e-toll date

Cool E

Expert Member
Time for you guys to use public transport, if you are not comfortable using our taxis , there is gautrain for you waiting.

daveza

Honorary Master
Time for you guys to use public transport, if you are not comfortable using our taxis , there is gautrain for you waiting.

Taxis are private transport not public.

blunomore

Honorary Master

There is not a lot of public transport in and around Sandton and Midrand. Sure there is the Gautrain but how do you move around the suburbs? The Gautrain bus does not go everywhere.

Oh and what is it with the "us/ours" and "you/yours" mentality ?

garp

Executive Member
They will NEVER see a cent from me.

The many taxes we already pay are intended for this kind of infrastructure (that's the purpose of any government) and the only reason they now require extra money is because they have been massively inefficient and corrupt. A huge percentage of the toll money will go to paying for the tolling system itself.

It is time for us all to stand together.

Let them know that we have had enough of outrageous electricity, rates, food price hikes. We have had enough of the ongoing assault on the middle and working classes in this country. We have had enough of bad administration and the consequential decay of the road networks, traffic lights, streetlights, dug up pavements, etc. We have had enough of the constant crime, which the authorities don't seem to be capable of addressing or even care about. We can no longer allow ourselves to be raped by incompetent, dishonest, thieving idiots.

The so-called highway improvement is not even an improvement. All they've done for R100 billion is added some lanes. The off ramp intersection changes have been mostly ineffectual and useless at alleviating traffic, and the promised extra off-ramps that were part of the original plan have never materialised, not to mention that the main non-highway arterials have meanwhile steadily deteriorated and have been completely neglected during the freeway "improvement" project.

We must stand together and not pay these people a cent. I don't care what church leaders they co-opt, they could have the Pope's blessing for all I care, they will not make money out of this fraud. We have had enough.

OMB

Mountain Man
There is not a lot of public transport in and around Sandton and Midrand. Sure there is the Gautrain but how do you move around the suburbs? The Gautrain bus does not go everywhere.

he's a taxi owner/driver troll

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

There is no Gautrain anywhere near us in the South of Joburg. :(

Paul_S

Expert Member

I'd use public transport if there was actually something decent available where I live.
Taxi's are not an option - I have a wife and kid to look after.
The nearest Gautrain station is about 14km (30 min drive) from my house and has no bus feeder network to my suburb (PTA East).

The reason for my personal opinion is that some officials asked for this to be implemented even in neighbourhoods and not only in business districts.
If all goes well, this may be going on a test basis next year.

No ways they'll get that right. Too many exit and entry points to monitor.
Can you imagine being billed R10 every time you go to the shops around the corner from your house because you exit and enter a difference zone?
Of course it will only apply to the affluent suburbs while those containing predominantly indigent residents will be exempt.

Last edited:

HiToKiRi

Expert Member
If people fight the system i.e. by not registering and not paying it will eventually fail...but alas one thing South Africans are not good at is standing together for a common cause so sabotaging the gantries might be the only option.

As far as I'm concerned SANRAL/Government can go get f**ked.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Personally I think it is to fill coffers (and pockets). Although, the main reason according to them is to encourage people making use of public transportation.

The reason for my personal opinion is that some officials asked for this to be implemented even in neighbourhoods and not only in business districts.

If all goes well, this may be going on a test basis next year.

If they try this and there is no decent public transport, you can expect the public to not pay this either.

If I had to pay to travel into a neighbourhood, and I couldn't get there easily via safe public transport, I wouldn't pay.

eltherza

Expert Member

Earlier on Thursday, Cosatu spokesman Patrick Craven said the government would be "jumping the gun" if it went ahead with the announcement.

He said Cosatu would meet the IMC on Friday morning.

"The absurd thing is we have a meeting with them [the IMC] tomorrow [Friday], on the same day as the announcement. Let's hope this works out... but it looks like someone has blundered," he said

What I read from this is that the decision is already made and chatting with COSATU is just s formality with no holding ground.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Even if we do resist the etolls, we're still gonna pay for it. The price of fuel will probably enter the statosphere to compensate.

thestaggy

Honorary Master

If we had safe, comprehensive and reliabe public transport I would gladly use it.

The Gautrain has an incredibly limited coverage and you still need to make arrangements for further transport to get to and from the stations.