Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

Lupus

Honorary Master

skimread

Executive Member
Geewiz has the Huawei E5573 for R596 on a Black Friday special. I am also thinking about getting one! Let us know if you find something better.
These mobile routers with LTE frequencies are so confusing with the networks they need to support.

I see it says it doesn't support rain. Not sure if this is Rain Mobile or rain fixed LTE.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Xiaomi Mi Box S with a free 16GB Flash Drive and free delivery at Incredible Corruption = R999

Jake45

Expert Member
@skimread: I think it should work at reduced speeds on Rain Mobile using Band 3 - Geewiz has very good support so it would be best to check with them. The router mentioned from Afrihost costs ~R2000!
https://www.reddit.com/r/southafrica/comments/8w2idb
Some Pep Stores might still be selling the Telkom Huawei E5572 for R599 but I don't know which TDD bands are supported. You need the full model number to be able to check on the bands. Some of the Telkom routers like the B315 which support B41 can apparently support Rain on B38.

I don't see any devices listed on the Rain website so I'm not sure whether they are still selling any mobile routers. Takealot has several more expensive mobile routers that might support more TDD bands.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
We had a look at Amazon. The 3800x is marked down quite a lot. However, the shipping and customs kills it completely.

ghostRgg

We had a look at Amazon. The 3800x is marked down quite a lot. However, the shipping and customs kills it completely.
The most heartbreaking thing with amazon. Seeing something like the 3600x go for $199 (R 2920) but then they hit you with the R1000 import duties and crap.

Hemps

Honorary Master
The most heartbreaking thing with amazon. Seeing something like the 3600x go for $199 (R 2920) but then they hit you with the R1000 import duties and crap.
Same crap feeling when you want the shield.

Reactions: Yuu

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
On the topic of AMD CPU's, what is the highest specced CPU that will work in an MSI b450 Tomahawk?

Swa

Honorary Master
On the topic of AMD CPU's, what is the highest specced CPU that will work in an MSI b450 Tomahawk?
All AM4 processors will work but you'll have to flash the beta bios if it's not already done.

skimread

Executive Member
@skimread: I think it should work at reduced speeds on Rain Mobile using Band 3 - Geewiz has very good support so it would be best to check with them. The router mentioned from Afrihost costs ~R2000!
https://www.reddit.com/r/southafrica/comments/8w2idb
Some Pep Stores might still be selling the Telkom Huawei E5572 for R599 but I don't know which TDD bands are supported. You need the full model number to be able to check on the bands. Some of the Telkom routers like the B315 which support B41 can apparently support Rain on B38.

I don't see any devices listed on the Rain website so I'm not sure whether they are still selling any mobile routers. Takealot has several more expensive mobile routers that might support more TDD bands.
Thanks.

I also noticed Telkom is selling the E5577 for R599 but couldn't see what frequencies it supports.

I decided to play it safe and I got the TP Link M7200 which supports both frequency bands B3 and B38 that Rain uses.
It's on black friday special for R799 at both IC and Dion Wired.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
So I see locally there are some deals on SSDs, but compared to ordering from Amazon US, the deals from Wootware and the like are not so amazing after all.

Is ordering from amazon and claiming on warranties not worth the hassle?

This 960gb Mushkin Source 2 SSD is R1579 at wootware but only $79 on Amazon. I'm not sure what delivery charges and import duty applies.

Swa

Honorary Master
So I see locally there are some deals on SSDs, but compared to ordering from Amazon US, the deals from Wootware and the like are not so amazing after all.

Is ordering from amazon and claiming on warranties not worth the hassle?

This 960gb Mushkin Source 2 SSD is R1579 at wootware but only $79 on Amazon. I'm not sure what delivery charges and import duty applies.

That would make it nearly R1200. I'm sure shipping charges will either be more than the R400 you save or not worth the hassle you might end up with.