Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

SykomantiS

Expert Member
The price seems decent and if taken care of I guess it will last a lifetime.

I'm actually not too bothered by the tester and punch down tool and cable stripper, just the crimper. But paying R199 + R100 for shipping for one item vs R399 for the whole kit with free shipping makes it compelling.

Not too worried with BNC and USB, but those are nice to haves if one uses it for commercial use I'd imagine
It seems you have answered your own question then :)

K3NS31

Expert Member
So it would seem:D

I may pop up the road to Linkqage and see if they have any in stock for around the same price
Pretty sure I bought a crimper for around 200 - 250 from Linkqage a while ago. Also, I'd suggest do get the punch down tool - you hardly ever need it but when you do, you really do. And it shouldn't be expensive. (It's nice to keep things neat around the house with breakout boxes. For which you'll need the punch-down).

Cable tester is a waste of money for home use. Just plug in your laptop if you need to troubleshoot.
I find if I crimp carefully and visually inspect the plug I seldom have any issues.

crack2483

Hate the way these stores never advertise if they usb2 or 3. I'd imagine 2 though at that price

chickenbeef

Executive Member

enerdude

Expert Member
I don't know how good these are but Game is selling 3 for R199 till 31 March
USB2.0 though
Yeah usb 2.0

Two takealot alternatives thats usb 3.0 for R2 more:

Edit: I like the 2nd one (sandisk) cause it has software to password protect folders on the stick when sharing it with other people

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
Err... that's R44 or R15 more per drive without counting delivery. And those Sandisk drives have reviews that they barely fit into the USB 2.0 category. I'd rather have a good performing USB2 than a poor performing USB3. In any case just posted if someone wants. Better standalone encryption options and I always just delete what comes on a drive.

R66 per drive isn't a bad price especially if you need to carry around a bunch of disk images or toolkits.

enerdude

Expert Member
Err... that's R44 or R15 more per drive without counting delivery. And those Sandisk drives have reviews that they barely fit into the USB 2.0 category. I'd rather have a good performing USB2 than a poor performing USB3. In any case just posted if someone wants. Better standalone encryption options and I always just delete what comes on a drive.

R66 per drive isn't a bad price especially if you need to carry around a bunch of disk images or toolkits.
I make new accounts on takealot so I always have free delivery ;) Since they opened the pickup points I am lucky to have one 1 km away from me so I dont even bother to deliver just pick up on my way home from work.
I have a sandisk 64GB usb 3.0 so not sure about the 32gb but I get good transfers on my pc.

Swa

Honorary Master
I make new accounts on takealot so I always have free delivery ;) Since they opened the pickup points I am lucky to have one 1 km away from me so I dont even bother to deliver just pick up on my way home from work.
I have a sandisk 64GB usb 3.0 so not sure about the 32gb but I get good transfers on my pc.
Yeah just saying I don't understand this fascination with USB3. A lot of drives have worse performance than top range USB2 so without reading reviews you're buying a lucky packet. Might be worth it for people that need to regularly transfer lots of data but until storage tech has caught up with the interface I'll stick with cheap.

enerdude

Expert Member
Yeah just saying I don't understand this fascination with USB3. A lot of drives have worse performance than top range USB2 so without reading reviews you're buying a lucky packet. Might be worth it for people that need to regularly transfer lots of data but until storage tech has caught up with the interface I'll stick with cheap.
There is actually a huge difference when writing to a usb3 drive, especially when writing big files, e.g. like you were talking about disk images. Try copying a .iso file to and from a usb 2.0 and 3.0 and you will see it is at least double as fast.

Wasabee!

Executive Member
There is actually a huge difference when writing to a usb3 drive, especially when writing big files, e.g. like you were talking about disk images. Try copying a .iso file to and from a usb 2.0 and 3.0 and you will see it is at least double as fast.
Swa is saying if the NAND is crap or the config in channels is poor, firmware isn't optimised etc, you can still be limited to less than the USB2.0 protocol speeds even when the drive supports USB3.0.

Swa

Honorary Master
Swa is saying if the NAND is crap or the config in channels is poor, firmware isn't optimised etc, you can still be limited to less than the USB2.0 protocol speeds even when the drive supports USB3.0.
Exactly. The Sandisk I mentioned is quoted at 25MB/s. Far below the theoretical maximum of 60MB/s of USB2. A lot of previous high end USB2.0 drives that outperforms it.

enerdude

Expert Member
Well all my 3.0 drives are performing well above any usb2.0. I don't just buy any crap make, I buy wel known brands usually. Even the crap nand ones perform slightly better than the fastest 2.0 drives if you consider they usually cost about R5 - R10 more than their 2.0 counterparts

Soprono

Expert Member
Well all my 3.0 drives are performing well above any usb2.0. I don't just buy any crap make, I buy wel known brands usually.
Exactly this, those brands that remain at high prices do so for a reason. You buy once and you buy proper and they will rarely let you down. Guess it's like most things in life

enerdude

Expert Member
Last edited: