Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

enerdude

Expert Member
Seagate 3TB Desktop HDD Expansion
R999 @ Incredible Corruption: https://www.incredible.co.za/seagate-expansion-desktop-3tb

View attachment 769818
If you want to spend slightly more you can get the double the space (6TB) at less than double the price from takealot. Personally I have always had good luck with even number GBs lol, so 3TB wont do it for me.
Got that baby for a bargain on black friday though (also remember there's currently a R150 voucher floating around ;)):

Attachments

enerdude

Expert Member
Google home minis from connecteddevices.
Ordered my second today and when I left one in my cart without checking out I got email saying I can now apply 'saveme150' to save another R150. Seems one can blindly apply this code on any new account.

R449 after discount is a bargain for tese amazing speakers

waylander

Expert Member
Google home minis from connecteddevices.
Ordered my second today and when I left one in my cart without checking out I got email saying I can now apply 'saveme150' to save another R150. Seems one can blindly apply this code on any new account.

R449 after discount is a bargain for tese amazing speakers

The Chalk one is already sold out lol

johnjm

Expert Member
It allows Google to listen in on ABSOLUTELY everything in your life, so you can be ad targeted about EVERYTHING in your life..
Not if I wear my tin foil hat.

And this wasn't me. I suspect it was the SO talking about it to someone...

enerdude

Expert Member
Whats so special about these mini speakers?
FEW examples:

'ok google what is tomorrow's weather'
'ok google remind me to do xyz'
'ok google who is my sister?" - reply: not sure but if you tell me I will remember.
'ok google what is 1354 + 768'
'ok google what is the latest on Trump's impeachment?' - you will get a basic reply and full article link on your phone
'ok google set alarm for 6:30'
'ok google stream pretoria fm on tunein'
'ok google stream kurt darren' - reply: ok streaming playlist of kurt darren on spotify (if you have premium you can stream a specific song by a specific artist, stream your personal created playlists etc)

Some funnier ones:
'ok google please stream elvis presley' - reply: 'I like hearing that magic word, playing elvis presley on spotify
'ok google %4#!@ you' - reply: I'm sorry if I upset you!
'ok google, tell me a joke'

If you want proper stereo you can setup two in a room and pair them as one speaker
You can broadcast, i.e. stream music on all speakers in the house, also broadcast your voice e.g.
'ok google broadcast' - reply: 'what should I broadcast'

ETC
ETC
Possiblities are endless, intelligence and possibilities also improved regularly by google

Sound from these speakers are amazing for their size and you can run it off 5V 2amp without normal power plug. I use my romoss fast charge port that is 2A to run when its on loadshedding.
There is also a mini replacement, the new 'nest' thats roughly the same size but even better sound including better bass etc

By default response and music streaming will come from same speaker but you can pair it via bluetooth to another better speaker which will do the streaming and response for questions will then still come via the mini.
If music is streaming when you ask a question, it will be continue after you got your answer.
You can obviously set volume via your voice, skip tracks etc etc

If you buy some smart devices (I bought a cheap wifi switch for R120 online) then you can control stuff on the switch (lights etc etc) via voice command.

SureThing

Wow...you know your way around google...so you are a googie are you? What wifi switches did you purchase and i assume all this is done through an app?

enerdude

Expert Member
Wow...you know your way around google...so you are a googie are you? What wifi switches did you purchase and i assume all this is done through an app?
There is plently smart devices out there: switches, cameras, sensors, alarms, you name it. Everything is inititally setup via the google home app.
Before getting my switches for R120 (landed price) on gearbest, I bought from geewiz

I would rather think of myself as a googly - similar to the cricket term (unexpected turn) :D

enerdude

Expert Member
It allows Google to listen in on ABSOLUTELY everything in your life, so you can be ad targeted about EVERYTHING in your life..
Possibly true and to avoid totally being targeted just run a seperate google account not linked to your main one on the home app and not the same one you use on your phone etc although that will limit functionality or require you to have 2 devices with you, I dont really care anymore, most sites and places track you these days.

Even shopping and other websites gets breached by hackers and they have all your details from multiple breaches so they target you for fraud etc etc

Last edited: