Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

K3NS31

Expert Member
was it this thread where someone was looking for a UTP crimping tool recently?
If so, this looks suspiciously cheap, but for 99 bucks, it's worth a shot.

PhireSide

Honorary Master

That would be me.

I eventually got one given to me for free by a mate, so I got it even cheaper :)

But that price is good, and it includes a rudimentary cable stripper too

ld13

Honorary Master
At R99 is seems like the correct price for Baobab. Not the best quality in the world, but will suffice for medium use.

Totempole

Expert Member

I have one like that. It's cheap, but it still crimps after many years.

The mid section is made of some sort of high density wood, which eventually split on mine, so that's one place where they cut costs.

enerdude

Expert Member
Anyone spot any good deals on RGB fans?
Year ago I bought these for R247. They are now R324 + R49 delivery on gauteng, not sure of other areas.

I see wootech (never used them before) has it for R309 + R49 delivery in gauteng and R79 outside gauteng

They are R449 on takealot though. Add R1 and get free delivery.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Year ago I bought these for R247. They are now R324 + R49 delivery on gauteng, not sure of other areas.

I see wootech (never used them before) has it for R309 + R49 delivery in gauteng and R79 outside gauteng

And last year those were 250 at takealot when I wanted to buy.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Samsung Galaxy A80 8GB/128GB model for R6499 (originally R11'999; R8'499 on Takealot):

SureThing

Samsung Galaxy A80 8GB/128GB model for R6499 (originally R11'999; R8'499 on Takealot):

Looks like a good deal but why? Not familiar with this model. Please do share how they compare to S9 upwards.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Looks like a good deal but why? Not familiar with this model. Please do share how they compare to S9 upwards.
You're asking the wrong guy - I am not a Samsung connoisseur at all :)

I usually use GSMArena to compare them:

GSMArena verdict, pros and cons:

Verdict

For all the wow factor the Galaxy A80 undeniably possesses thanks to its unique camera and bezelless display, it's a really tough sell once reason gets in the way. At its launch price it's placed against proper flagships which come with benefits like superior performance, extra camera, better battery life - some are even more affordable than the A80.

We could have seen ourselves ending with something along the lines of 'get the Galaxy A80 if you want a selfie camera like no other, but otherwise look elsewhere'. The thing is though, the selfie camera like no other is to be found on the Asus Zenfone 6, and for less money.

The Galaxy A80 is a novel take on the flip camera, an interim step until under-display cameras become a thing, a proof of concept maybe. It's not a phone you buy, not at full retail price, or at least not based on rationality.

Pros
  • High-quality build, metal frame, GG front and back.
  • Truly unique pop-up camera mechanism.
  • Very nice display with high outdoor brightness and exemplary sRGB accuracy.
  • Good image quality overall.
Cons
  • No memory expansion slot, no headphone jack.
  • The moving bits look fragile and can drag dust inside the phone.
  • Unremarkable battery life.Update, June 26: Slightly improved in the web browsing and standby department.
  • Arbitrary limitations when using the camera for selfies.Update, June 26: This has been fixed.
  • No video stabilization in 4K, glitchy in 1080p.

Fox1

Executive Member

A bit off topic but the case I want has Argb. Would these fans work with it?