Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

Lupus

Honorary Master
So artificially segmenting their old and new, beyond just hardware? Whatever the reason might be, that's what I see as the "Apple tax" benefit I get with my devices.
Probably, it is silly to be honest. Even Nokia is slowing down updates on it's older flagships like my 8, they had a two year update plan.
Just found a possible reason, apparently Google requires a million dollars per version of Android to the OEMs.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Where do you plan to use it? Most 1/2/3 kva UPS needs a 12v 7ah/8ah/9ah. That battery wont fit in such a case unless you hook it up with the ups case open.

But yeah not a bad price after the discount.
Not using it in a UPS. Found another one that's even cheaper

Check this out on takealot: 18AH Solar Gel Battery 12V

enerdude

Expert Member
Not using it in a UPS. Found another one that's even cheaper

Check this out on takealot: 18AH Solar Gel Battery 12V
Yeah problem is all batteries are not created equal. Most of the time trial and error or else speak to somebody that has abought a specific brand before.

I learned that the hard way with UPS batteries after buying from a big china mall in JHB. I then started dealing with a specific supplier in midrand that supply quality 9ah batteries for replacing my old UPS batteries.

Also learned never to go for the cheapest, I see the second battery you linked only has half the warranty of the other.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Yeah problem is all batteries are not created equal. Most of the time trial and error or else speak to somebody that has abought a specific brand before.

I learned that the hard way with UPS batteries after buying from a big china mall in JHB. I then started dealing with a specific supplier in midrand that supply quality 9ah batteries for replacing my old UPS batteries.

Also learned never to go for the cheapest, I see the second battery you linked only has half the warranty of the other.
Noted, I ordered 1 of these so will see how it goes. Willing to sacrifice the R300 if it's crap :D

Deltec seems to be a decent "budget" brand from what I've read but can't find much info on Five Star.

Swa

Honorary Master
The tanking exchange rate (courtesy of the ANC long-finger economic approach) has contributed to significant price increases of all imported goods
Exchange rate already tanked by that time. Since then premium prices have just gone up but only for certain imported goods. Tells me there's price gouging going on.

Swa

Honorary Master
Yeah but different types of items attract different import costs / taxes.
Good point so how does duties compare between now and then? In order to justify the cost it would need to be 200% more now.

enerdude

Expert Member
Good point so how does duties compare between now and then? In order to justify the cost it would need to be 200% more now.
Short answer - our government tries to tax us to death so they can steal the money or fund companies like SAA which is useless :cautious::p

Swa

Honorary Master
Short answer - our government tries to tax us to death so they can steal the money or fund companies like SAA which is useless :cautious::p
So have duties gone up 200%? I'm not aware of any such so that doesn't seem to be where the money is going.

enerdude

Expert Member
So have duties gone up 200%? I'm not aware of any such so that doesn't seem to be where the money is going.
Do I have to repeat myself?

Also like you said, not the place to discuss, we are derailing this thread.