Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similarly I saw the monitor bracket mentioned a few pages ago that was listed for R599 a few days ago is now marked down to R699 from 'R1000'
 
Must admit this set has come in very handy. Had to quickly disassemble a bed over the weekend and thought I was going to battle to find original tool for the bolts. Grabbed my kit and done. Had the exact one :thumbsup:
I wanna get one but eh...Makro always feels like a mission.
 
Similarly I saw the monitor bracket mentioned a few pages ago that was listed for R599 a few days ago is now marked down to R699 from 'R1000'
Yup that's the norm nowadays with these "Black Friday" Specials
 
Yup that's the norm nowadays with these "Black Friday" Specials
What I did was put some items I am looking at buying in my wishlist and made a screenshot of it so that I know what their 'before' prices are.

So far most of them have gone up in price by R1000 or so, one has dropped by R500 but so far it's not looking promising at all. As is to be expected from our lovely etailers :(
 
Get the ematic, if you plan on playing your own media over plex and the like..

I have the mi stick and use Netflix, prime mostly and it's fine.. however, it's a little sluggish, not annoyingly so but, enough to be an issue with things like Plex..

I also find that either the power button doesn't work to switch it on/out of sleep and I have to unplug the power..

I have one and just leave it on all the time. Wakes up when I use it again.
 
Rather get the Ematic from Makro for R1,149 - it has an Ethernet port.

Link

I have both the Mi Box S and the Ematic and wish the Mi was an Ematic. The wifi on the Mi is not reliable and regularly has to buffer.
I have never had buffering on the Mi S. Did you format after updating?
 
I have never had buffering on the Mi S. Did you format after updating?

No, I plugged in the power, plugged in the HDMI, inserted the wifi password. Only difference is that wth Ematic I also plugged in the Ethernet cable.
 
I have never had buffering on the Mi S. Did you format after updating?

I’ve never had issues on mi box nor even the mi tv stick I still have. Just worked, always, even while streaming some seriously high bitrates.

If guys are using 2.4ghz I think it’s the main bottleneck.
 
I can't say I tried large files yet via Plex because the CPU on the NAS is a little old school (AMD dual core from 2011). I did initially think that pushing a 12GB movie would cause it to stutter a bit, but it seemed to handle it just fine as it was playing directly. I think the largest ISO I tried streaming was a 4k copy at around 12GB in size, and it had no issues streaming over WiFi besides the initial 5 seconds of buffering. Transcoding is out of the question of course.

I tried via LAN, and had the loading circles appear every ten or so seconds. I tried streaming via VLC on my laptop connected to LAN and it worked flawlessly. So perhaps my Ematic LAN port isn't so reliable, but as I don't use it it's not a huge deal for me.

I would have checked what link speed I have between my AP and the Ematic but the controller is running on the NAS which is off right now as they are busy renovating the room it's currently in.
If its the same one I have - i.e. the HP54L or similar version, then add in a transcoding card.
I snuck a P400 into mine, and it still works fine.

Had a few issues on the last update with docker not passing through correctly, after working nicely for half a year, but that was a mix of docker update and nvidia drivers. Took me a little while to fix though.
 
If its the same one I have - i.e. the HP54L or similar version, then add in a transcoding card.
I snuck a P400 into mine, and it still works fine.

Had a few issues on the last update with docker not passing through correctly, after working nicely for half a year, but that was a mix of docker update and nvidia drivers. Took me a little while to fix though.
Yup, it's an N40L so basically the same as yours.

I struggled getting Plex running in Docker to use the GT710, and eventually just gave up as I direct play most of my stuff anyways. I followed a guide where you had to compile your own drivers and it was just a rabbit hole of hacks and fixes and eventually I just called it a day and took the card out.

I'm running OMV on the NAS though, but I have all my services in Docker which works brilliantly otherwise
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X