Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

Bilaal687_

The original one is just an OEM with Huawei stuck on it :) but okay, yeah try cellular shops or Huawei.
Going to try cellular city today, tried vodacom was a little out of the budget can get a discount from them but won't be much.

Fox1

Executive Member
Anyone here tried powering a router with a powerbank? Who's got a USB to 5.5mm cable?

Soapy_Bubbles

Anyone here tried powering a router with a powerbank? Who's got a USB to 5.5mm cable?

For some reason this doesn’t sound like a wise idea (no experience on the matter). I think maybe cos power banks are used to charge batteries, not power non battery things. However. Maybe something like a UPS will last a decent amount of time on the router???

WAslayer

Executive Member
For some reason this doesn’t sound like a wise idea (no experience on the matter). I think maybe cos power banks are used to charge batteries, not power non battery things. However. Maybe something like a UPS will last a decent amount of time on the router???
It's perfectly fine, if your powerbank can supply the required power to the router..

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
A UPS that will run a router is about R500.
You will drain battery to quickly as you would be using almost all the capacity for load shedding. My 750va lasted 2 hours at the start but quickly started not lasting so long.

mubeend

I bough this one for my router and CPE. Will handle 2 hours easily. Think around 3.5 hours it starts beeping to say that the battery is low. On that beeping, it is extremely annoying and software only temporarily stops it.
Could probably cut a wire for the beeper

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Some of the Huawei routers came with the batttery packs.

Those are good - never went off during any load shedding so far and does not beep.

airborne

Honorary Master
I have powered my Lte router with a 5V USB battery bank and a USB to 12v boost cable which is capable of max 12W(12v/1A), router spec'd for 12V/1.5A, so depends on the router and the router settings/if using WiFi and how many clients etc.

Aharon

Executive Member
I have powered my Lte router with a 5V USB battery bank and a USB to 12v boost cable which is capable of max 12W(12v/1A), router spec'd for 12V/1.5A, so depends on the router and the router settings/if using WiFi and how many clients etc.
Can you link to such a cable?