Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Still on special.

zolly

Expert Member
Still on special.

SSD prices seem to dropping regularly, but should I pick this up now if I'm planning on getting a new PC later in the year? Or should I hold out and just buy a drive in a few months when I get the rest of the hardware?

enerdude

Expert Member
SSD prices seem to dropping regularly, but should I pick this up now if I'm planning on getting a new PC later in the year? Or should I hold out and just buy a drive in a few months when I get the rest of the hardware?

Well not really possible to predict. If exchange rates worsen and prices stay roughly the same, it could be even more expensive.

zolly

Expert Member
Well not really possible to predict. If exchange rates worsen and prices stay roughly the same, it could be even more expensive.

Ya... True. I'm not planning on buying until the new Ryzen chips are out... I guess I'll just hold out until then.

Fox1

Executive Member
This is about the cheapest for a 3D NAND drive.

enerdude

Expert Member
Asus VivoStick PC TS10 Quad Core Mini PC - R1499

Intel Atom x5-Z8350 up to 1.92GHz Processor / 2GB DDR3 RAM / 32GB eMMC Storage / 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wireless LAN / Bluetooth V4.1 / 1 x USB 3.0 / 1 x USB 2.0 / Windows 10

Look like a good alternative for someone not wanting to go the android tv box route?

sajunky

Honorary Master
Asus VivoStick PC TS10 Quad Core Mini PC - R1499

Intel Atom x5-Z8350 up to 1.92GHz Processor / 2GB DDR3 RAM / 32GB eMMC Storage / 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wireless LAN / Bluetooth V4.1 / 1 x USB 3.0 / 1 x USB 2.0 / Windows 10

Look like a good alternative for someone not wanting to go the android tv box route?
Pass. This has an obsolete CPU, slow GUI and more important - unable playing HEVC/VP9 formats.
A ghost coming out from the past.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

sajunky

Honorary Master
Ooops! That is @backstreetboy again. A little knowlegde and derogatory comments, shame.

This CPU is a member of "Ghost of the Past Family", Cherry Trail. Slow graphics (even GUI) and a poor hardware acceleration for modern video.

In the comparable low power CPU range, you need at least Apollo Lake Celeron (rebranded Atom). It received graphics from Skylake, but it has a proper HEVC hardware decoder. These low power CPU's completely fail on hybrid decoding that Intel tried to promote, so Apollo Lake Celeron won't work with VP9 10-bit (Youtube format). To get full support for VP9 10-bit Profile 2, you need Gemini Lake Celeron, model N4000/N4100 or Pentium N5000.

These CPU are so inexpensive, that it is an offense to offer something so old and completely inapropriate for a computer that looks ideal as a multimedia player.

Here is a table showing CPU harware decoding capabilities, scroll down to Fixed-function Quick Sync Video format support: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video