HDMI Switch - Image Interruption / Distortion

Garp_

My old Samsung TV only has one HDMI port, that is connected to my PVR.

With my wife and kids exploring Netflix, they have to dive into the back of the TV to connect the cable to the laptop, and more often than not, forget to reconnect the PVR when they are finished.

I bought a mid-tiered priced HDMI Switch to allow for multiple connections (3) as well as new HDMI cables (with gold plated connectors). But now, when connecting the PVR to the switch and the switch to the TV, the image breaks up every 40s or so for less than 0.5s that is irritating to say the least.

So either my switch is not good enough (and then what is good enough?) , or is there something I can do to fix it (e.g. isolation tape around the exposed connectors?)

Please help!

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
The DSTV PVR doesn't like HDMI switches and splitters because some of them are known to strip HDCP away.
So the break up is the system checking the HDCP status every so often. Either get a new box, or connect direct, or get rid of DSTV

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Sounds like HDCP handshake is a little bit flakey.

Did you keep any old HDMI cable in the mix? Try to get rid of that one.

Otherwise you could turn off HDCP but doubt that's possible.

Garp_

Thank you for the feedback and help.

I suspect it is in fact the switch that cannot handle the connection, and wasn't even aware that I should watch out for this.

This just made me realise how much there is that I am oblivious to without realsing it...I can't even say that "I know that I don't know"... .I don't even know that I don't know.....:unsure: