Home Automation - Smartkit

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I know every couple of months this comes up, perhaps by me . I have around 60 downlights scattered around the house. I am looking at getting them automated, and as I am seeing it, I have a handful of options.

Zigbee GU10 bulbs, the Gledopto ones from aliexpress seem reasonably well rated, but at R200 per piece it’s a bit of cash to outlay. They are obviously dimmable, which is great, plus I get the added benefit of being able to control each bulb individually if I want. The negative is that I sort of lose wall switch control, or at least I would need to put in a zigbee button of sorts.

Alternatively I go the sonoff switch route, but then I lose the ability to dim.

Finally I go the sonoff basic or mini route, and again I lose dimming.

I have neutrals in all my switches.

Ideally I would have liked to go the switch route, but dimming is critical for me, are there any other switches you guys are using that I have missed?
Out of interest, anyone know how the Shelly's handle a situation like this? Where you have a push button dimmer situation?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I know every couple of months this comes up, perhaps by me . I have around 60 downlights scattered around the house. I am looking at getting them automated, and as I am seeing it, I have a handful of options.

Zigbee GU10 bulbs, the Gledopto ones from aliexpress seem reasonably well rated, but at R200 per piece it’s a bit of cash to outlay. They are obviously dimmable, which is great, plus I get the added benefit of being able to control each bulb individually if I want. The negative is that I sort of lose wall switch control, or at least I would need to put in a zigbee button of sorts.

Ideally I would have liked to go the switch route, but dimming is critical for me, are there any other switches you guys are using that I have missed?
Lose the dimming and replace the switch.

Buy a fancy standing smart light you can fiddle with when you really need the romance or ambience or whatever it is people are after with this dimming nonsense.

ipodmusicman

Look at Qwikswitch. The only problem is that they don’t sell the QSUSB any more but with more pressures from customers I hope they will bend to it. I’ve sent them a couple of emails already. I have it and it satisfies all your requirements. Works very well.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Couldn't find a neutral in this switch...

Most of my switches are missing that!!!

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Broadlink has three gangs, but I'd have to check the tech first.
Do theirs light up as well?

I see Sonoff says this one will be dimmer so I’m guessing it’s running off phantom power or something and maybe why it can only do one gang.

I would happily forget the lighting up if it could do more.

Thor

Honorary Master
So am I in dangerous territory here?

Have set the cutout to 14A just in case.

Bloody hell those push pins are hard to work with when using proper non flex electric wiring, while on a ladder.

Sucks that the POW R2 is just a bit too big to go inside the junction box.

Also impossible to get that cover on. But this will only be temporary to get some stats out for a month or so.

What format should the kwh cost be entered? I have it as “278,46” right now.
Can you send me picture of your wiring.

I have the same sonoff it's just lying next to my geyser... I'm to scared.

What liter do you have?

phaktza

Executive Member
Do theirs light up as well?

I see Sonoff says this one will be dimmer so I’m guessing it’s running off phantom power or something and maybe why it can only do one gang.

I would happily forget the lighting up if it could do more.
I'll get a few, but a three gang would save me a lot of heartache.

Thor

Honorary Master
Couldn't find a neutral in this switch...

Most of my switches are missing that!!!
I don't think SA homes are wired with a neutral all our lights have the switch in line to save costs.

So you'll probably need to run a wire from the DB to the switch. (out of the question 90% of the time.)

phaktza

Executive Member
I don't think SA homes are wired with a neutral all our lights have the switch in line to save costs.

So you'll probably need to run a wire from the DB to the switch. (out of the question 90% of the time.)
Neutrals are in the ceiling, usually you can pull back from there.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Can you send me picture of your wiring.

I have the same sonoff it's just lying next to my geyser... I'm to scared.

What liter do you have?
What’s there to wire?

Red and black go in, red and black go out.

It’s pretty straight forward. No different to fitting a plug really.

This is a 250L.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

No need to involve the DB.

The neutral has to go to whatever is being powered so it’s already there.

It’s not really a shortcut so much as we don’t have weird **** like hooking up our free standing lights to wall switches and such.