Home Automation - Smartkit

SAguy

Expert Member
I need to do this with my tv and Soundbar but is it difficult? Or the same as connecting a plug
Not trying to be rude at all, but if you're uncertain then maybe buy a Sonoff or two and have a couple of these little leads made up for you by someone who's a bit more comfortable.

It's very simple, but at the end of the day it's still electricity - and mistakes burn down houses and worse.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Not trying to be rude at all, but if you're uncertain then maybe buy a Sonoff or two and have a couple of these little leads made up for you by someone who's a bit more comfortable.

It's very simple, but at the end of the day it's still electricity - and mistakes burn down houses and worse.
Nah makes sense... So not offended at all. Just trying to understand how these things work.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
But hows that connected in pic above? It's not either side of Sonoff?
Maybe the wording is confusing.

The inside looks like...

L E E L N N

And is marked for input and output.

So the two earths go together (if applicable) and the inputs come from the power source and outputs go to the device.

The irritating part is that the casing gets in the way for then two on the sides.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Was about to say it’s usually 220-240v as it can’t be precisely controlled.

ebendl

Expert Member
I would consider putting the whole thing in a box and using glands for it -- if somebody trips over that thing your wires might just rip out fairly easily. Or if somebody spills some water on it?

A box and a couple of glands at Builders isn't going to add much to the price.

ebendl

Expert Member
It can warn you if it not running... E.g you're on holiday...
In this case I would rather look at putting a temp sensor inside of the fridge? Although I guess either not running or running the whole time instead of the typically duty cycle might also give a good indication.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I would consider putting the whole thing in a box and using glands for it -- if somebody trips over that thing your wires might just rip out fairly easily. Or if somebody spills some water on it?

A box and a couple of glands at Builders isn't going to add much to the price.
If your multiplugs are somewhere that someone can trip over it....that is what I would call the failure in logic to start with.

And the water logic applies for anything that is a plug, the Sonoff is actually safer from that than the multiplug itself.

ebendl

Expert Member
Does Wyze Cam integrate with Google Home?
They do. I have 3 Wyze cams and I am absolutely in love with them. I can ask Google Home to cast the "Baby camera" to "TV" and a couple of seconds later I can see what he's up to :)

They also work well with IFTT in that you can
1) do something if motion triggers
2) turn on/off the camera via IFTT. I use this and a door sensor to automatically turn on the camera when the baby room's door closes and turn off the camera when it opens up again. That way I don't get sound-triggered notifications if he's awake and there's just noise in the house.

ebendl

Expert Member
If your multiplugs are somewhere that someone can trip over it....that is what I would call the failure in logic to start with.

And the water logic applies for anything that is a plug, the Sonoff is actually safer from that than the multiplug itself.
Wasn't thinking when I wrote the part on the water ;)

But I've seen our domestic worker plug the vacuum cleaner in anywhere, including into a similarly wired plug (just a basic instead of the POW) and obviously if you're walking around with a vacuum you're gonna pull on the cord. A multiplug is even more tempting as you might have a plug open.

Just saying a little bit additional tensile strength might save a house or a life. If you are going to mount it behind a fridge or freezer and use all the plugs at once then it's probably fine.

rodga

Executive Member
I get what you saying, but I made this for temp usage to monitor appliance energy use. So will not be a permanent fixture just yet.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Wasn't thinking when I wrote the part on the water ;)

But I've seen our domestic worker plug the vacuum cleaner in anywhere, including into a similarly wired plug (just a basic instead of the POW) and obviously if you're walking around with a vacuum you're gonna pull on the cord. A multiplug is even more tempting as you might have a plug open.

Just saying a little bit additional tensile strength might save a house or a life. If you are going to mount it behind a fridge or freezer and use all the plugs at once then it's probably fine.
You see in my house not a single multiplug is open for access and all are mounted or hidden away.

But I do have a lot of plugs on almost every internal wall.

rodga

Executive Member
Will probably be making an enclosure for the pow like this one for one my basics.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
What sonoff really need to make is a 4x4 double plug with all the smarts inside it. I would then happily replace some of my plugs , with them. It would be much cleaner. From a WiFi POV, I have already ensured my place is well saturated so it should pick up WiFi signal anywhere. Ideally should also have an Aux port for upgrades, etc.

phaktza

Executive Member
What sonoff really need to make is a 4x4 double plug with all the smarts inside it. I would then happily replace some of my plugs , with them. It would be much cleaner. From a WiFi POV, I have already ensured my place is well saturated so it should pick up WiFi signal anywhere. Ideally should also have an Aux port for upgrades, etc.
Getting some of these soon: https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-s55.html

I know it's not quite what you were asking, but it's a step in the right direction.

ebendl

Expert Member
I did this:

IMG_1087.JPG

It is basically a wall mountable socket box with a Shelly PM inside and the cable reinforced with a gland. Normal wall plug on the other side. What's nice about the LESCO boxes are that you can get them relatively cheap at builders and their switches and sockets are not molded into one unit - so you can connect the switch to the Shelly to give manual override.

Here's the inside:
IMG_0993.JPG

Unfortunately the Sonoff POW is too big to fit.