Home Automation - Smartkit

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What sonoff really need to make is a 4x4 double plug with all the smarts inside it. I would then happily replace some of my plugs , with them. It would be much cleaner. From a WiFi POV, I have already ensured my place is well saturated so it should pick up WiFi signal anywhere. Ideally should also have an Aux port for upgrades, etc.

They do make some, but what we need is an SA version.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I did this:

View attachment 701891

It is basically a wall mountable socket box with a Shelly PM inside and the cable reinforced with a gland. Normal wall plug on the other side. What's nice about the LESCO boxes are that you can get them relatively cheap at builders and their switches and sockets are not molded into one unit - so you can connect the switch to the Shelly to give manual override.

Here's the inside:
View attachment 701893

Unfortunately the Sonoff POW is too big to fit.

This is exactly the idea I had but also figured the POW wouldn't fit in there too easily and would need some cutting or a very lucky spacing.

If the inlet was just off to the side and not in the middle it would probably work.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Will probably be making an enclosure for the pow like this one for one my basics.
c265be18ca142be3f9ebb1136a063a3e.jpg

That is very neat.

You lose access to the button and status LED, but I never really use either once it's installed.

But wouldn't taking the casing off and making a new box for the whole thing be better?

rodga

Honorary Master
That is very neat.

You lose access to the button and status LED, but I never really use either once it's installed.

But wouldn't taking the casing off and making a new box for the whole thing be better?
I'll post some pics later but there is a hole for the button and the portion over the led is slightly thinner which allows the light to shine through.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I don’t understand why the waterproof one exists but there isn’t any indoor option.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Urgh Sonoff T1's are a pain :(
I hope they have fixed the design in the T2/T3 units, but the T1's are super prone to ghost switching on the long press action.
I have used Tasmota to prevent the long press from doing anything but now Im going to need to remove the buzzers from inside them because they randomly beep at different times of the day and night.
My wife has not been pleased when they beeped and then turned on the bedroom lights at 2am!

Every light switch in my house is a T1 so its a lot of de-soldering to get those buzzers out.

The other thing is that the mounting options on them are horrible, they are not very adjustable so if the 2x2 in the wall is skew then your switch will be too. Might need to look at the option of 3d printing alternatives to solve that.

patrick123

Expert Member
@phaktza, I will be updating my review most probably by Monday-Tuesday, I must admit that I have had more drama making a cup of coffee that what Konnected gave me.
Put it in, connect everything, and the blerry thing just works!
Nothing to write home about, it just simply works!

My main alarm system, Stealing the 12v power from my old alarm system.

The Add-on board (excuse the dust), leeching off the cameras' 12v supply, watching over my electric fence( not shown here) and a few sensors to be added. The units do not have to be in the same enclosure, thus saving on wiring and allowing multiple sensor points.

Busy creating the Alarm Control Program still in early stages:

Attachments

• Alarm Settings.jpg
    Alarm Settings.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Jackie.P

I've been a member for quite a while, but this is one of my first posts, so I hope I can add some value to the discussions going on.

I've been in a process of automating most of my appliances in my home, and have bought a ton of Sonoff Pows, Basics and SVs and even a few S26 plugpoints for that. However, as most of the commentators point out, everything is not designed for us here in SA.

I wanted to automate and control and monitor my high wattage appliances (Dishwasher/Washing Machine/ Poolpump/Heatpump and my Tank Pressurepump) and also control them via Home Assistant depending on Solar Power generation as I am basically off the grid during the day and only on PV, but generation is not allways the same, o I want to be able to automatically switch off some loads when needed. Allmost all of my Sonoff's had been flashed with Tasmota

So earlier this year I started out designing some custom enclosure and fittings for the S20s and POWs so it can be plugged into a standard SA plug wallpoint, and then you can plug in a standard SA plug appliance on the other end. I did not want to cut of wires and splice the POWs into the cabling, so here is a few pictures of what I ended up with. Everything is 3D printed by myself. My enclosure for the POW looks very similar to a normal extension multiplug, but you have full access to the pushbutton, and the LEDs shine through nicely. The plug fitting itself I bought from AC/DC and then re-wired everything in the enclosure. I am now at a point where these can be implemented in my house.

I also wanted to use the Sonoff S26 for my table and floor standing lamps, so I am in the final stages of my newly designed SA fittings for the S20. It will still be a while as the clearances in the S20 housing is quite tight, but I am happy with my progress.

Hope you can get some ideas from this

I've also designed some din rail mounted DB board mountings and spacers for the Sonoff POW and DUAL and Basics so that it fits perfectly level with your other MCBs in your DB, and allows you access to the buttons!. You can have a look at them on Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3343895)

Attachments

• SonoffPow_1.jpg
    SonoffPow_1.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 75
  • SonoffPow_3.jpg
    SonoffPow_3.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 77
  • SonoffPow_2.jpg
    SonoffPow_2.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 73
  • SonoffPow_4.jpg
    SonoffPow_4.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 70
  • SonoffS26_1.jpg
    SonoffS26_1.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 70
  • SonoffS26_2.jpg
    SonoffS26_2.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 69
  • SonoffS26_4.jpg
    SonoffS26_4.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 65
  • SonoffS26_5.jpg
    SonoffS26_5.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 67
  • SonoffS26_6.jpg
    SonoffS26_6.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Sonoffs_DB.jpg
    Sonoffs_DB.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

alqassam

Expert Member
I've been a member for quite a while, but this is one of my first posts, so I hope I can add some value to the discussions going on.

I've been in a process of automating most of my appliances in my home, and have bought a ton of Sonoff Pows, Basics and SVs and even a few S26 plugpoints for that. However, as most of the commentators point out, everything is not designed for us here in SA.

I wanted to automate and control and monitor my high wattage appliances (Dishwasher/Washing Machine/ Poolpump/Heatpump and my Tank Pressurepump) and also control them via Home Assistant depending on Solar Power generation as I am basically off the grid during the day and only on PV, but generation is not allways the same, o I want to be able to automatically switch off some loads when needed. Allmost all of my Sonoff's had been flashed with Tasmota

So earlier this year I started out designing some custom enclosure and fittings for the S26s and POWs so it can be plugged into a standard SA plug wallpoint, and then you can plug in a standard SA plug appliance on the other end. I did not want to cut of wires and splice the POWs into the cabling, so here is a few pictures of what I ended up with. Everything is 3D printed by myself. My enclosure for the POW looks very similar to a normal extension multiplug, but you have full access to the pushbutton, and the LEDs shine through nicely. The plug fitting itself I bought from AC/DC and then re-wired everything in the enclosure. I am now at a point where these can be implemented in my house.

I also wanted to use the Sonoff S26 for my table and floor standing lamps, so I am in the final stages of my newly designed SA fittings for the S26. It will still be a while as the clearances in the S26 housing is quite tight, but I am happy with my progress.

I've also designed some din rail mounted DB board mountings and spacers for the Sonoff POW and DUAL and Basics so that it fits perfectly level with your other MCBs in your DB, and allows you access to the buttons!. You can have a look at them on Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3343895)
@icemanbrfc what you have been looking for

rodga

Honorary Master

So earlier this year I started out designing some custom enclosure and fittings for the S26s and POWs so it can be plugged into a standard SA plug wallpoint, and then you can plug in a standard SA plug appliance on the other end. I did not want to cut of wires and splice the POWs into the cabling, so here is a few pictures of what I ended up with. Everything is 3D printed by myself. My enclosure for the POW looks very similar to a normal extension multiplug, but you have full access to the pushbutton, and the LEDs shine through nicely. The plug fitting itself I bought from AC/DC and then re-wired everything in the enclosure. I am now at a point where these can be implemented in my house.

I also wanted to use the Sonoff S26 for my table and floor standing lamps, so I am in the final stages of my newly designed SA fittings for the S26. It will still be a while as the clearances in the S26 housing is quite tight, but I am happy with my progress.

That's very neat, any chance you uploaded the stl as well?

Thor

Honorary Master

Wow.

What would you charge to print me a plug like that for the POW R2?

ebendl

Expert Member

Wow, these are excellent. I really like your design for the Sonoff POW, it looks good, clean, sturdy, minimal space and I like the fact that the buttons and the lights are visible.

I have two POW's in my drawer and a guy at work that has a 3D printer -- am for sure going to print those!

Well done mate!

EDIT: Any chance you can share the STL for POW-plugs?