Home Automation - Smartkit

Sparkz0629

Expert Member
I posted a while back about dimmer options (doesnt there are too many, as was pointed out). Has anyone looked at these? Looks like a viable alternative for keeping the existing switch, and having dimming. My guess is I might need to put it in the roof and wire it down to the switch, not the end of the world.
A friend is bringing some of these in currently to check how they work.
They can also be flashed with tasmota.
Im assuming you could build some fancy logic to dim from the switch too (Long press), but not 100% sure on this one.

ipodmusicman

Hi folks, I haven't seem much discussion on LED strips in this thread. I am looking at installing an LED strip right around the inside of my thatch braai area - this is around 18m. I've picked the SK6812 RGBW (warm white) as the strip of choice. The plan is to connect a few 5m rolls together with power injection every 5m to an ESP8233 node MCU, a 200w 5v power supply and watch the magic come to life with some coding and Home Assistant integration to control this lot. Those who follow Rob Tait on "The Hook Up" on YouTube will know where I am going with this.

The problem is that there are no local suppliers for any of the popular individually addressable LED strips, or none that I could find. I would prefer to order locally if I can as this would give me instant gratification and no risk delivery with the only downside being that it could be a lot more expensive than ordering from eBay, Amazon, etc.

Does anybody know of any local suppliers of individually addressable LED strips in 5m rolls?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Hi folks, I haven't seem much discussion on LED strips in this thread. I am looking at installing an LED strip right around the inside of my thatch braai area - this is around 18m. I've picked the SK6812 RGBW (warm white) as the strip of choice. The plan is to connect a few 5m rolls together with power injection every 5m to an ESP8233 node MCU, a 200w 5v power supply and watch the magic come to life with some coding and Home Assistant integration to control this lot. Those who follow Rob Tait on "The Hook Up" on YouTube will know where I am going with this.

The problem is that there are no local suppliers for any of the popular individually addressable LED strips, or none that I could find. I would prefer to order locally if I can as this would give me instant gratification and no risk delivery with the only downside being that it could be a lot more expensive than ordering from eBay, Amazon, etc.

Does anybody know of any local suppliers of individually addressable LED strips in 5m rolls?
You can have no risk delivery using an inter sienna courier...still get away cheaper and have it in 5-10 days.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Well bugger me....this actually works very nicely and simply.

Getting all the details out of the Sonoff Pow without any firmware flash hackery required.

No historical usage data of course, but one could probably get something for HA to work that out using the history or build it in Grafana.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Hi Guys

Complete noob here. I've watched a few vids on youtube and checked out the smartkit website.

I'm looking to start replacing some light switches at home with smart light switches.

Just a question on "neutral"... is that the earth wire in our case? I only have black and red...

Also i have the rectangular switch boxes, not the square ones. I take it that they arent interchangable?

Also I'm seeing different models of the Sonoff switches (T1, T2, TX etc.). is there a clear difference?

Thanks

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Hi Guys

Complete noob here. I've watched a few vids on youtube and checked out the smartkit website.

I'm looking to start replacing some light switches at home with smart light switches.

Just a question on "neutral"... is that the earth wire in our case? I only have black and red...

Also i have the rectangular switch boxes, not the square ones. I take it that they arent interchangable?

Also I'm seeing different models of the Sonoff switches (T1, T2, TX etc.). is there a clear difference?

Thanks
No, the neutral is not the earth wire... the neutral is the neutral. You can't rely on the colours of the wires in your switch boxes unfortunately, you will need to test them to see. Chances are you don't have a neutral and will need to pull one down to the switch.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
No, the neutral is not the earth wire... the neutral is the neutral. You can't rely on the colours of the wires in your switch boxes unfortunately, you will need to test them to see. Chances are you don't have a neutral and will need to pull one down to the switch.
Thanks for that...

I also noticed on some ads that certain switches are sold that dont "need" neutral. I'm guessing those are the ones i'd need to go for then?

Or do i just get an electrician in to test?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Thanks for that...

I also noticed on some ads that certain switches are sold that dont "need" neutral. I'm guessing those are the ones i'd need to go for then?

Or do i just get an electrician in to test?
Get an electrician in to test if you aren't sure of doing it yourself....

Could you post links to the ones that don't "need" a neutral, I'd be interested to give them a gander.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Get an electrician in to test if you aren't sure of doing it yourself....

Could you post links to the ones that don't "need" a neutral, I'd be interested to give them a gander.
Thanks, will do.

I just read that switches that dont need a neutral do exist. They are rather pricey and somewhat limited in terms of integration

The broadlink TC2 seems like the prettiest one

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Both of those options require a hub though, so quite expensive...

Also the Broadlink also looks as if its only rated to 110v which would be an issue in SA.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep

Also the Broadlink also looks as if its only rated to 110v which would be an issue in SA.
Broadlink works in SA, but I had a lot of issues with integration.

Volksieboi

Expert Member

There's always a catch i guess...
Found a local site that sells them and the spec says 110 - 240V. I dont know this seller tho. so cant speak to that

I also spoke to an electrician acquaintance who suggested that changing the switches could be expensive because of the "neutral wire" thing.

He suggested that I "add control modules to your devices and use an app to control them". asking him for more info.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
please... tell us more... it seems that theres an app... but im guessing it probably doesnt work with google or alexa?
There are multiple apps, and I'm still not sure which one I should be using. Maybe I needed to give it more time (and try again, since it's been a while), but I simply could not get it to voice activate.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
There are multiple apps, and I'm still not sure which one I should be using. Maybe I needed to give it more time (and try again, since it's been a while), but I simply could not get it to voice activate.
ah

But can you confirm that no neutral is needed for wiring ?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Hi Guys

Thanks
Please step away from whatever you are about to do and call an electrician....because you are almost certainly going to die.

Have you ever changed a plug on an appliance successfully?

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Please step away from whatever you are about to do and call an electrician....because you are almost certainly going to die.

Have you ever changed a plug on an appliance successfully?
Dont worry. I wont be wiring anything

I've changed plugs and light switches before, but this is something else

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Dont worry. I wont be wiring anything

I've changed plugs and light switches before, but this is something else
In that case the blue is the neutral and the green is the earth.

That is the same in household wiring, the colours just change.

lucifir

Expert Member
There's always a catch i guess...
Found a local site that sells them and the spec says 110 - 240V. I dont know this seller tho. so cant speak to that

Any idea if these broadlink switches can be used for dimming as well?