Home Automation - Smartkit

lucifir

Expert Member
Both of those options require a hub though, so quite expensive...

Also the Broadlink also looks as if its only rated to 110v which would be an issue in SA.
Do the broadlink switches require hubs also?
Where did you see that?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Do the broadlink switches require hubs also?
Where did you see that?

However, it’s not a dimmer switch (just an on/off switch) and it does require a hub. It works with the Broadlink Pro hub which supports voice control and a growing list of smart home integrations.

jdido87

Good day folks

I need to connect up the Sonoff smart light switch. The problem I have is that all the wires are red (WTF). Should I just get an electrician to do it? Also is it safe to connect the smart switch to my geyser. I keep on forgetting to put it on then my wife gets at me when she has to shower in slightly colder water.

Veroland

Executive Member
Good day folks

I need to connect up the Sonoff smart light switch. The problem I have is that all the wires are red (WTF). Should I just get an electrician to do it? Also is it safe to connect the smart switch to my geyser. I keep on forgetting to put it on then my wife gets at me when she has to shower in slightly colder water.
Depends on your house but most likely all the wires for light switch is live and there is no Neutral. Better get a electrician to check.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Good day folks

There's no neutral in your wiring and the switch is simply closing the live circuit the neutral that is already wired to your lights.

This is the default in South Africa and most of Europe and therefore not too unusual.

America is different with neutrals running everywhere because they like to do weird **** like connecting wall switches to standing and floor lamps and stuff.

Basquiat

Hi
I am thinking about some home automation, preferably compatible with Apple HomeKit.
Have anyone had any experience with Lutron Caseta smart switches?
Do they fit and work in the standard SA setup?
I am just looking for any guidance or info in the SA setup.
Thanks

FAZE MAZE

Hi
I am thinking about some home automation, preferably compatible with Apple HomeKit.
Have anyone had any experience with Lutron Caseta smart switches?
Do they fit and work in the standard SA setup?
I am just looking for any guidance or info in the SA setup.
Thanks
Is writing in this very light grey font similar to whispering? :p

Definitely difficult to read on my screen

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Hey all,

sorry I am only getting into this now and just wanted some advice..

what is the go to or starting place to play with this kind of thing now?

https://www.home-assistant.io ? and using sonoff switches? (i am talking about basic switching at this point, but i will want to expand it to add cameras in, maybe alarm system control and possibly some smart solar monitoring and switching in future)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Hey all,

sorry I am only getting into this now and just wanted some advice..

what is the go to or starting place to play with this kind of thing now?

https://www.home-assistant.io ? and using sonoff switches? (i am talking about basic switching at this point, but i will want to expand it to add cameras in, maybe alarm system control and possibly some smart solar monitoring and switching in future)
You can actually start with just the Sonoff switches.

Then expand to Home Assistant when you want to centralise different platforms together.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
You can actually start with just the Sonoff switches.

Then expand to Home Assistant when you want to centralise different platforms together.
and use something custom or like node-red to control them? or just control them direct?

i wouldn't mind playing with the system as a whole though.

Thor

Honorary Master
My only issue with all this is if stuff goes wrong, my internet went off - gone no access to ****, geysers left on etc.