Home Automation - Smartkit

Hellhound105

Expert Member

These things are amazing.

Finally got mine and installed them. Works like a charm.

*This seller was cheap but no longer ships to South Africa

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
and use something custom or like node-red to control them? or just control them direct?

i wouldn't mind playing with the system as a whole though.
You’d be limited to the app only until you do Home Assistant.

Was just pointing out you could just start there.

But aren’t the schedules stored locally?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
My only issue with all this is if stuff goes wrong, my internet went off - gone no access to ****, geysers left on etc.
local network? and depending how you set it up you can still manually override.

imo you shouldn't be reliant on turning your geyser on and off anyway :p

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So the TH16 + Geyser are not playing nice together and I found the trip switch on the DB off most mornings now.

DB > Geyserwise > TH16 > Geyser

So what that means is the Sonoff is off when the Geyserwise says the geyser should be off and only turns on when that turns on.

That's why it gets bizarre, it seems to be tripping while it's OFF which makes even less sense.

Which tells me there is something in the Geyserwise that maybe detects a fault state because of the unit in the middle and then kills itself? Or how exactly would this work. Surely why it's off nothing at all will matter.

If it happened while it was on I could have sort of understood it.

alqassam

Expert Member
So the TH16 + Geyser are not playing nice together and I found the trip switch on the DB off most mornings now.

So what that means is the Sonoff is off when the Geyserwise says the geyser should be off and only turns on when that turns on.

That's why it gets bizarre, it seems to be tripping while it's OFF which makes even less sense.

Which tells me there is something in the Geyserwise that maybe detects a fault state because of the unit in the middle and then kills itself? Or how exactly would this work. Surely why it's off nothing at all will matter.

But it before the geyserwise.

Are you using it for timing or for power monitoring?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member

what element does your geyser have? I have heard stories of those sonoffs not being ideal for a geyser

on a related note: https://powerforum.co.za/topic/3985-2kw-geyser-on-16a-sonoff/

but yes that does puzzle me too what you are saying...dodgy wiring or isolater or something?

Thor

Honorary Master
Boom, Thor's sonoff express has arrived, will PM everyone.

I want to bring in another batch, but I want to do that properly with an importing code from SARS, @ScottulusMaximus do you perhaps know what is the process and cost to register as an importer?

I could not for the life of me find any working link on the SARS website.

I am thinking of buying another lot.

The first lot I bought arrived in 3 weeks.

I can get them in Bellville for $12 each (for the 15A, 3500 watt Sonoff POW R2)

If any of you want to group buy (minimum 2) then you can PayPal me the dollar amount and I will place a group order.

I'm ordering for myself, but just thought since I will be ordering it should not be an issue to increase the quantity provided you can pick it up in Tygervally.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Boom, Thor's sonoff express has arrived, will PM everyone.

View attachment 709255

I want to bring in another batch, but I want to do that properly with an importing code from SARS, @ScottulusMaximus do you perhaps know what is the process and cost to register as an importer?

I could not for the life of me find any working link on the SARS website.
It will cost you three months of your life, 15% VAT on every import, the threat of having your entire shipment seized for not having proper documentation and a "courtesy fee" for the importer to assist you in paying SARS.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
But it before the geyserwise.

Are you using it for timing or for power monitoring?
I’d prefer not to as I don’t see the benefit.

It’s only there to monitor power. The Geyserwise already does the timing.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
what element does your geyser have? I have heard stories of those sonoffs not being ideal for a geyser

on a related note: https://powerforum.co.za/topic/3985-2kw-geyser-on-16a-sonoff/

but yes that does puzzle me too what you are saying...dodgy wiring or isolater or something?
Well it can’t be dodgy wiring as the exact same wiring works fine when there is no Sonoff.

It’s seemingly a 3kw element going by the Sonoff reading but way below the amperage threshold.

Besides then I would expect the Sonoff to do it’s own internal shut off.

Maybe I should swop the TH16 for the spare one I have, maybe it’s just a dodgy unit.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Really need to get you guys the Shelly EM...
I’m sure it’s nice for people who don’t have anything in place already.

Surely the Shelly 1 PM would work? It certainly would fit in the box more easily.

alqassam

Expert Member

Surely the Shelly 1 PM would work? It certainly would fit in the box more easily.
I had a shelly1 pm connected to my geyser before I did solar.

I want to out it back but will do so between the geyserwise and the DB.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep

Not rated high enough for some geysers nor does it have power monitoring for those amps.