Home Automation - Smartkit

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Ladies & gents,
I'm looking for a DB-mountable smart/wi-fi switch to run our geyser off of.
Please point me in the right direction?

Preferably something with scheduling ability and time-keeping that can survive load shedding (having to reprogram those major-tech ones every time it loses time is a real ball-ache)

xrapidx

Honorary Master
This then gives me the impression that you are possibly shorting the 12v and ground momentarily causing a brown-out in the power supply.
How though? It only seems to affect the sonoff, the keypad doesn't seem to loose power

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Ladies & gents,
I'm looking for a DB-mountable smart/wi-fi switch to run our geyser off of.
Please point me in the right direction?

Preferably something with scheduling ability and time-keeping that can survive load shedding (having to reprogram those major-tech ones every time it loses time is a real ball-ache)
most people use a sonoff POW R2, I do not think you get a cheap db mountable device unless i am mistaken.

paulb

Cost? The local sa dealer's online shop link is broken... Not a great sign.
Don't know the current price but not cheap compared to a basic alarm. First bought in 2003 when there were not as many automation options as it is more than just an alarm with its own logic engine.

patrick123

Expert Member
If you had to take the lock off NO and GND(temporarily), and just put it on the SV's OUT lines(not connected to PUSH), there should be no kind of feed back. If it still resets, then I'm almost certain that the SV is faulty.
You could also try and trigger the SV with nothing connected and see if it behaves itself.
I am under the impression that PUSH actually receives a voltage pulse(logic 1) to trigger the lock, so NO and GND should be the 2 that the SV's OUT should be connected to.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
The SV doesn't reset when nothing is connected to out.

Don't think the SV is at fault, I've tried with two, one standard, and one dry.
1.) the dry one doesn't work when connected to NO+GND, but works when connected to PUSH
2.) The standard one doesn't work when connected to PUSH, but does when connected to NO+GND (the standard one is also wired to SV IN)

I'll try this evening connecting the SV directly to the lock

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Sooo, let me get this straight. Hypothetically speaking, if I am a thief, and I am not, but if I was, I just have to link red and green on the keypad to unlock your door?
You'd set off the alarm removing the keypad, it'd be easier to just hop over the wall... and then set off the alarm :p

(also - you'd be on camera as soon as you're in view of the keypad)

Tinuva

The Magician
The SV doesn't reset when nothing is connected to out.

Don't think the SV is at fault, I've tried with two, one standard, and one dry.
1.) the dry one doesn't work when connected to NO+GND, but works when connected to PUSH
2.) The standard one doesn't work when connected to PUSH, but does when connected to NO+GND (the standard one is also wired to SV IN)

I'll try this evening connecting the SV directly to the lock
Connect a voltage and amp meter to the power on the SV's in side of the wires.
Record what happens when you lock/unlock.

The SV might be ever so slightly sensitive to the power drop when the lock draws it when unlocking.
A capacitor to the SV power in side that store some power might fix it (I am no electric engineer so guessing).

Tinuva

The Magician
You'd set off the alarm removing the keypad, it'd be easier to just hop over the wall... and then set off the alarm

(also - you'd be on camera as soon as you're in view of the keypad)
But there is a wire to the keypad? Anyways ye in SA they will just hop over.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Hate to bring up geysers again, a while back some reported using a Pow with a 3KW geyser.

Is everything still working well?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
But there is a wire to the keypad? Anyways ye in SA they will just hop over.
There would have to be, how else would it work? I've actually got more than one keypad - from different sources, all seem to work the same, power in, trigger out, alarm/tamper out, "doorbel" out

Tinuva

The Magician
In other news, I was able to get the following going with the help of this and Node-Red and polling the Eskom's site api for current state.

When loadshedding for our area start we get this message: (In this one I was still working on the final messaging, removed the "Time left in loadshedding" text.
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.24.58 AM.png

When Eskom stops loadshedding:
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.24.17 AM.png

When eskom starts loadshedding:
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.24.04 AM.png

I have also set up a notification for 20min before our area's slot start.
This makes it so much easier, instead of having to check up on schedules all the time, me and the wife just get a slack notification on whats happening and when our next slots will be.

Tander

Executive Member
In other news, I was able to get the following going with the help of this and Node-Red and polling the Eskom's site api for current state.

When loadshedding for our area start we get this message: (In this one I was still working on the final messaging, removed the "Time left in loadshedding" text.
View attachment 781978

When Eskom stops loadshedding:
View attachment 781980

When eskom starts loadshedding:
View attachment 781982

I have also set up a notification for 20min before our area's slot start.
This makes it so much easier, instead of having to check up on schedules all the time, me and the wife just get a slack notification on whats happening and when our next slots will be.
This it pretty cool. Would you mind sharing more details? I would love to do this.