Home Connect vs Cool Ideas

User52

That is a lie and i have posted the graphs to show it, mates on Ocotel, Vuma, Openserve and myself on MFN would drop at the exact same time this past weekend and had record packet loss of 10% on the final node overseas but use my vodacom 0% packet loss. So tell me thats the FNO only. Packet loss was non existent on the first 4 hopes and as its breaks out on your transit bam its there
View attachment 670353
I never have streaming issues etc with my line twitch works like a charm so no congestion where i am this was CISP issue. Plus a ticket thats logged on Saturday night still has no answer on a Tuesaday night. Afrihost would at least get back to you with something in a hour or so. Support is key in this business and yours sucks need a rep on MYBB to even handle some of it. Had Rodent once get one your staff to phone me due to their piss poor response they sent me so even he isnt up for it
How long have you had packet loss issues for? A few months?

Herbivore

Based on? Definitely not Hellopeter and have you seen CISP feedback threads on this forum?
Mainly based on all of the Cool Ideas recommendations on the other Cool Ideas vs Home Connect thread, but you're right there do seem to be a lot of complaints about Cool Ideas as well and I should not base it on that entirely.

Cool ideas wont charge the R1500 if you already have a vodacom fibre line installed. Accelerit is also on vodacom.
I don't have the fibre line installed yet.
I don't want to hijack this thread, should I create another that is Home Connect vs Cool Ideas vs Accelerit thread? (I'm new-ish here)

chefdude98

Expert Member
1. Are you sure about the debit order requirement. I've been with them for just over a month and I've been paying by EFT. Two payments made and no debit orders executed on my accounts.
2. I use ESET/NOD32 and had no issues signing up on their page. Maybe your issue is unique to Kaspersky.
3. Well spotted
4. If your support works well, you don't need a rep on MyBB. I've just had a slow speed issue and it tool less than an hour for them to call me after I logged a ticket on the customer portal. I had regular feedback via telephone throughout the day and the issue was resolved before I got home from work. I also got a phone call the next day checking if everything was still OK. Definitely 10/10 for support.

I have alot of respect of Cool Ideas, but I think they grew too quickly and are now struggling to maintain their initial service levels. We;ve seen it before with OpenWeb, WebAfrica, MWeb etc. HomeConnect is still small enough to keep service levels high. I hope they are able to keep it up as they grow more and more popular.
20190612_143609.png

Attachments

under_sky

Expert Member
How long have you had packet loss issues for? A few months?
No only this past weekend but i havent been back at my place to confirm if thats fixed yet. My mates have not complained to me about it this week as im their help CISP person.

slave

I have alot of respect of Cool Ideas, but I think they grew too quickly and are now struggling to maintain their initial service levels. We;ve seen it before with OpenWeb, WebAfrica, MWeb etc. HomeConnect is still small enough to keep service levels high. I hope they are able to keep it up as they grow more and more popular.
I've been with them for 1.5 years and was very happy with the service. About 20 people in our estate signed up with them on my recommendation but recently their support service has been dreadful. Have an open ticket with them which is over a month old and have not had response from them in over a week. I've decided to move on and based on recent comments I've read it looks like Home Connect may be an option. I think you're absolutely right regarding their inability to service the growth which is sad really because I've had very few issues with their network until recently.

HaNsA

Expert Member
Based on? Definitely not Hellopeter and have you seen CISP feedback threads on this forum?
Yep, hellopeter rating of above 4 made me go with home connect. All support questions answered within a day. Division of cipherwave, so they got a big reputable company behind them.
Compared to other isps 1star hello Peter!

chefdude98

Expert Member
I've confirmed with them as below :

"I have confirmed with our Accounts department you can do a upfront payment Via EFT and allow the credit to decrease with every month subscription."
Yea it was too much of a hassle for me ,so I signed up with Afrihost.

Set up a recurring payment on my card.Makes life easier.

chefdude98

Expert Member
Afrihost? Wow, payment options are about to become the least of your worries...
Im with Frogfoot.

It just works.Most of the issues seem to come from Ocotel and Vumatel.

I think Afrihost has moved to unshaped and aup free Frogfoot packages.

Doubt I will have issues.Frogfoot is probably the best fibre infrastructure provider atm.

I can change within 6 months if I am unhappy.

Afrihost's sales department is pretty decent and they answer the phone faster than Cool Ideas.

Will update if Im unhappy

blunt

Expert Member
And how the hell does Home Connect have a 2016 certificate at the bottom of sign up page.wtf?
It's likely the developer just forgot to echo out the current year - if it was outsourced they probably don't want to pay for someone to update a date. I wouldn't consider that something to be concerned about at an ISP (it's not a development company).

Other than that their online portal seems fine, they have an app that shows usage as well.

My parents are getting their Frogfoot line installed on Tues so hopefully by end of next week they'll be on home connect - I've stuck a raspberry pi at their place so I can fiddle when it's up.

chefdude98

Expert Member
It's likely the developer just forgot to echo out the current year - if it was outsourced they probably don't want to pay for someone to update a date. I wouldn't consider that something to be concerned about at an ISP (it's not a development company).

Other than that their online portal seems fine, they have an app that shows usage as well.

My parents are getting their Frogfoot line installed on Tues so hopefully by end of next week they'll be on home connect - I've stuck a raspberry pi at their place so I can fiddle when it's up.
Cool. Somebody mentioned in an older thread that it is difficult to leave Home Connect. That was also a deciding factor for me.

blunt

Expert Member
Cool. Somebody mentioned in an older thread that it is difficult to leave Home Connect. That was also a deciding factor for me.
Hopefully it doesn't come to that.. does seem like leaving a FISP is trickier in general than ADSL

sand_man

Honorary Master
Yeah, it is difficult to leave them, cause their service is so damn good...

You can cancel via their web portal, about 4 key presses. I cancelled end of April and later retracted...

blunt

Expert Member
I left Webafrica pretty easily. I only left because they were too expensive.
Ok - I guess i'm basing it on the odd "horror" story reported on these forums which probably relate to people not wanting to pay claw back fees..

Tariqe

I am looking at the Home Connect pricing via Frogfoot of R648 for 20/2 ( as I only video stream ), but concerned about the one year claw back policy. I asked them what if the quality of service is not there, the team leader kept pointing out the terms and conditions and would not answer me on the quality of service question

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I am looking at the Home Connect pricing via Frogfoot of R648 for 20/2 ( as I only video stream ), but concerned about the one year claw back policy. I asked them what if the quality of service is not there, the team leader kept pointing out the terms and conditions and would not answer me on the quality of service question
It's pretty difficult to guarantee a best effort service, if the FNO has ongoing issues it's not the ISPs fault that has subbed your installation fee kind of thing. If you are worried about quality of service then don't sign a commit.