Home WiFi problems

Hermanvanv

Hello all. I am new to the forum... but I need some help with my home wifi setup. I have a Netgear D6300 router/wifi where the Telkom line goes in. From there I run a network cable to another router, which extends the wifi to another part of my house. This is a D-Link N300 "Wireless Access Point". I have set it up as a bridge, so it only extends the home network, and does not issue IPs.

The problem is the following: I have a Mac and Apple TV. The Mac gets wifi connection from the Netgear, and the Apple TV connects to the D-Link. Now I have trouble connecting the Apple TV to the iTunes on the Mac. It works for a while, and then just decides to disconnect. Re-starting the Mac and the Apple TV sometimens work, and sometimes restarting the D-Link works, but nothing is constant, and it is a hit-or-miss. At the moment I am at the point of throwing away the D-Link, and getting another Wireless Access point, but I want to know if someone might know what the issue is before I spend money.

OK then! Any help will be great.:confused:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I would first make sure it is the dlink, ask a friend if you can borrow their wifi access point for a week. Can narrow it down from there.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Hello all. I am new to the forum... but I need some help with my home wifi setup. I have a Netgear D6300 router/wifi where the Telkom line goes in. From there I run a network cable to another router, which extends the wifi to another part of my house. This is a D-Link N300 "Wireless Access Point". I have set it up as a bridge, so it only extends the home network, and does not issue IPs.

The problem is the following: I have a Mac and Apple TV. The Mac gets wifi connection from the Netgear, and the Apple TV connects to the D-Link. Now I have trouble connecting the Apple TV to the iTunes on the Mac. It works for a while, and then just decides to disconnect. Re-starting the Mac and the Apple TV sometimens work, and sometimes restarting the D-Link works, but nothing is constant, and it is a hit-or-miss. At the moment I am at the point of throwing away the D-Link, and getting another Wireless Access point, but I want to know if someone might know what the issue is before I spend money.

In all honesty the consumer grade wireless extenders just give headaches.

Are you severely cost constrained? If not, chat to the guys over at Uniterm (www.dbg.co.za) and get yourself a Ubiquiti Unifi - it will cost you about R1000 but it just works.

You can have a look at this thread for other people's experiences with the product

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/604760-Ubiquiti-UniFi-enterprise-WiFi-at-home

Last edited:

mogwaai

Also had problems with D-Link. Sometimes firmware upgrade sorts out some bugs but mine is sitting in a box right now and replaced it with a Ubiquiti AirRouter HP. Never had issues since and I only got Apple products...

Hermanvanv

Thank you all for the replies - I realised last night that it might be my Mac - my wife's MacBook can still connect, but I'm having trouble with the 2011 Mac.
I will look into the Uniterm products.

Lee Beier

Hi

the problem may occur with negotation between the Netgear D6300 and the D-Link N300. you need to decide which of these 2 devices you like more works better for you then replace the one similar - Netgear to Neatgear or Dlink to Dlink. i think the problem there is that the Dlink is not getting ghcp from the netgear. if you put another netgear the compatibility will be more consistant.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Hi

the problem may occur with negotation between the Netgear D6300 and the D-Link N300. you need to decide which of these 2 devices you like more works better for you then replace the one similar - Netgear to Neatgear or Dlink to Dlink. i think the problem there is that the Dlink is not getting ghcp from the netgear. if you put another netgear the compatibility will be more consistant.

The way to hell is paved with good intentions - and what has been posted above is the best of intentions....

:(

Been down that long, dark, road - many a clump of hair is to be found along the way

Wireless Extenders aimed at the consumer market are an exercise in frustration <--- experience talking

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
I think it's your Apple products.

If you have no value to add, perhaps rather shut up. This business that some posters like to add these meaningless, helpless non-sequiturs that are really just lame blows in the OS wars must come to an end.

OP: Try switching your authentication scheme as well as fiddling your b/g/n settings to the lowest denominator and slowly up things from there. WEP may be more reliable in these kinds of situations (although not more secure).

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
If you have no value to add, perhaps rather shut up. This business that some posters like to add these meaningless, helpless non-sequiturs that are really just lame blows in the OS wars must come to an end.

OP: Try switching your authentication scheme as well as fiddling your b/g/n settings to the lowest denominator and slowly up things from there. WEP may be more reliable in these kinds of situations (although not more secure).
You're ignorant of the Apple ecosystem, Apple products work better together which the OP has. The OP should get a AirPort device.

Hermanvanv

Can I then use an Airport device as an extender, i.o.w. replacing the D-Link with Airport?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
/looks on gloomily watching people enable the OP along the path to perdition