How did you STOP smoking?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Threat revive...
Anyway, i had bronchitis, could not suffer a puff, and though "maybe its a good time to quit.

That was 19 days ago, and have not lit, smoked or puffed a cig, rollie or vape since. The urge is STRONG, but the resistance seems to be stronger..

Plus side.. lungs and throat are feeling amazing!
Trust me, it gets easier. I'm 7 and a half years off them after 34 years of smoking and it took a couple of years to get over the habit.

A thing that helped me and it was a silly thing, was that when I saw someone smoking, at first I'd be jealous and think 'oh that looks nice, maybe I should just have one'. But then I came to realise that they also want to stop and are the ones who are actually jealous of you.

So keep it up, it's the best thing you will ever do for yourself.

Nemus

Trust me, it gets easier. I'm 7 and a half years off them after 34 years of smoking and it took a couple of years to get over the habit.

A thing that helped me and it was a silly thing, was that when I saw someone smoking, at first I'd be jealous and think 'oh that looks nice, maybe I should just have one'. But then I came to realise that they also want to stop and are the ones who are actually jealous of you.

So keep it up, it's the best thing you will ever do for yourself.
Thanks. One thing that always bugged me was the smell.. I'm in a corporate office, and very few people around me smokes, which resulted in me washing my hands 2 or 3 times after every cig.. Now, feeling and smelling fresh-ish... Small victories, i guess.

MavChat

I used Champex for a week and then on 24 December 2011 at midday I was chatting with some colleauges and lit my last cigarette and crushed the packet. Said I was done and I was.

I still get cravings from time to time but I just ignore it and move on with my day.

I smoked for 20 years.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Thanks. One thing that always bugged me was the smell.. I'm in a corporate office, and very few people around me smokes, which resulted in me washing my hands 2 or 3 times after every cig.. Now, feeling and smelling fresh-ish... Small victories, i guess.
Washing hand...   :ROFL: :laugh: is that really what smokers think make them smell better? Lol!

The worst stink comes from a smokers clothes and hair.

Congrats for stop stinking and sucking! :p

The Voice

Executive Member
Had 4 heart attacks last year. It was time. Been smoke free for over 9 months now (smoked for 26 years). Didn't go cold turkey - my body had been through enough. So have been vaping ever since, but tapering down my nicotine intake: 18mg, then 12mg, and currently on 6mg. 3mg next, and then I'm done.

I've "quit" loads of times before, but there's just something about realising that it WILL kill you if you don't stop that makes it stick.

Nemus

Had 4 heart attacks last year. It was time. Been smoke free for over 9 months now (smoked for 26 years). Didn't go cold turkey - my body had been through enough. So have been vaping ever since, but tapering down my nicotine intake: 18mg, then 12mg, and currently on 6mg. 3mg next, and then I'm done.

I've "quit" loads of times before, but there's just something about realising that it WILL kill you if you don't stop that makes it stick.
I have a Vape, but decided to go completely cold turkey.
There are also so many arguments around the damage caused by Vapes on the lungs.. Those arguments made it somewhat easier for me to just drop both.

The Voice

Executive Member
I have a Vape, but decided to go completely cold turkey.
There are also so many arguments around the damage caused by Vapes on the lungs.. Those arguments made it somewhat easier for me to just drop both.
That's one of the things that's fascinated me through this journey - how people are predisposed to believing that the worst thing smoking can do to you is give you some sort of lung ailment when, in fact, smoking kills more people through heart disease than anything else.

millennia

Around 5 years, I was walking into the shop to buy another packet of smokes when i thought to myself "wtf are you doing!?". Promptly turned around, walked out of the shop annd haven't had a smoke since.

Lungs and Sinusses are much the better for it, weight not so much :p I could never have attempted a parkrun when i smoked! I also don't mind the smell of smoke so that's a bonus, but sheesh, you can smell a smoker when they walk past you in the office :lol:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Gradually tapered down from 18 to to 0mg last weekend. On Monday we're going overseas for a few weeks so I'm just going to leave it at home.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I have stopped 3 times the first two with champix and the last time cold turkey (3 days of hell the rest I was used to).

First time I quit for a year then smoked for about 3 after that, quit for 3-4 years then lost my dad last year and started again for about 6 months (didn't have the will power to say no at that point of my life) but quit a few months ago.

I just couldn't believe how quickly I was smoking 20+ a day and how after 3 months my health took a dip, 3 month after that I could really feel it. Plus smelling like a fire all day, waking up with extreme dry mouth, constant coughing, being reliant on something 24/7 and waking up at 3am and needing a smoke.

Glad its out my life again.

The Voice

Executive Member
Easy way to stop smoking book by Alan Carr 13 years ago.

Best decision ever.
I read the book, and even went on the course. Cant say it did much directly with regards to quitting as such, but it definitely got me down the path of realising I was smoking when it was something I didn't NEED to do.

Gamer

Expert Member
On 21 August 2004, after about 14 years smoking, I took a bet that if the Springboks beat Australia that evening in the tri nations in Durban, I would stop smoking. I wanted to, but had never been able.

The Springboks won that night, we partied all night long, almost until the sun came up the next morning. I smoked all night as I partied. Finally went to sleep. When I woke up, I never smoked again. No withdrawals, no cravings, just quit. That was almost 15 years ago. Amen!

Stokstert

Executive Member
Stopped from one day to another after being diagnosed with COPD after a stint of 10 days in ICU with pneumonia.
The pulmonologist warrned me not to come back to him for further treatment if I don't stop smoking immediately,
and I did.
I was a heavy smoker for 51 years.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I switched to the vape nonsense... With the intention of stopping that in a month or two.... I've tried to stop cold turkey before and every time I had a drink the wheels would fall off... The vape I find has broken that connection...

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I read the book, and even went on the course. Cant say it did much directly with regards to quitting as such, but it definitely got me down the path of realising I was smoking when it was something I didn't NEED to do.
I was ready to stop - reading the book flicked the switch in my brain - I was fortunate not to need any substitutes or panaceas.

cn@

Expert Member
I tried to start smoking. I really did.

Since my university days all the cool people including room mate my mother and father and later ... my brother smoked.

Even 20+ years later a plethora of close friends and family still smokes.

I just am not interested. It doesn't do anything for me. Except for making a hangover much worse. Yes, I have felt the cloudy feeling after having smoked a limited number of cigarettes but after all those I'm in no way attracted to it whatsoever.

Nemus

10 weeks clear. Definitely feeling better.
Also, the habit seems to have broken as every second thought does not revolve around buying a packet anymore..