How does one write off your vehicle?

SpliceGold

Take a drive in a high hijack area with your windows open :ROFL: Even with that I doubt any car thief would bother trying to steal a piece of crap like a rubbish Peugeot. Stay away from French crap, they cannot make cars

Shaun108

Executive Member
Everybody is harpin' on about how crap French cars are. Look after it properly and service it when it's due and you're all good.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Everybody is harpin' on about how crap French cars are. Look after it properly and service it when it's due and you're all good.
The problem seems to be a specific French car...
I have two colleagues with unsolvable Peugeot problems, one is a 207 and the other a 2008. It seems like it does not matter the amount of love you give to such cars, they will just leave your soul broken.

Craig

Honorary Master
The problem seems to be a specific French car...
I have two colleagues with unsolvable Peugeot problems, one is a 207 and the other a 2008. It seems like it does not matter the amount of love you give to such cars, they will just leave your soul broken.
Same here, I've had two friends with Peugeot's, both had constant issues. I have a colleague with a Renault Clio that also always have some or other issue, the new Clio. At the same time I have some more friends and family with Renault's that haven't had any issues of any kind.

So while any car maker can have a lemon Peugeot seems to be having more than others. Big pity as I like the look of the Peugeot's more than the Renault's.

The Voice

Executive Member
It's a simple case of a car's value < cost of repairing it. That's how insurers decide whether or not it's a write off. But if it hasn't been in an accident, they're not even going to consider it. So unless you're willing to do some extra "work" it's best to cut your losses and just flog it somewhere for parts.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Same here, I've had two friends with Peugeot's, both had constant issues. I have a colleague with a Renault Clio that also always have some or other issue, the new Clio. At the same time I have some more friends and family with Renault's that haven't had any issues of any kind.

So while any car maker can have a lemon Peugeot seems to be having more than others. Big pity as I like the look of the Peugeot's more than the Renault's.
Me too, their cars are a thing of beauty, I've had an eye on one for some time now, just not sure if I can survive the heartache that will follow.

Craig

Honorary Master
Me too, their cars are a thing of beauty, I've had an eye on one for some time now, just not sure if I can survive the heartache that will follow.

Yeah, that's sort of a dick move posting that here, that is a very beautiful car. I would not mind owning that car, or an alfa 159 if money wasn't an issue. But as it is now I'm too poor for that.

qscwbt

Expert Member
Have heard numerous horror stories about French cars. I would stay clear.

I would get 3 quotes to have the car repaired.
Then get a quote on the value of the car.
Then go chat to the insurance and explain that the cost to repair is higher than what the car is worth.
Then hear what they say.

SpliceGold

Unless you have owned a brand new one that is meticulously serviced and loved then I don't think you know or understand what everyone is talking about.

SpliceGold

I was told that Peugeot's in specific were not made to last. The French apparently flog their cars after a few years. This is just what I have heard and from my experience seems to be pretty true

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
LOL you're funny Shaun
Peugeot 206... god what a piece of KAK! Friend of ours had it in 6 times until the warranty expired. She had it looked after, services done by the book. Car wasn't a lemon, just a really, really bad design.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
I was told that Peugeot's in specific were not made to last. The French apparently flog their cars after a few years. This is just what I have heard and from my experience seems to be pretty true
That is true... in other countries cars are not allowed to become hoenderhokke

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Have heard numerous horror stories about French cars. I would stay clear.

I would get 3 quotes to have the car repaired.
Then get a quote on the value of the car.
Then go chat to the insurance and explain that the cost to repair is higher than what the car is worth.
Then hear what they say.
Good luck. This is not their problem.

mr_norris

Expert Member
So now her boss told her that his 2012 Discovery engine has failed due to a notorious crank bearing that Land Rover knows about, and cost to repair would be R300,000. He says he simply phoned his insurance and told them to write the car off. How does that work? Can my sister just phone First for women and tell them to write it off? It sound very suspicious to me.
It's too good to be true. Sounds like there is a broken story there. That just does not happen. But to answer your question, anyone can call their insurance and ask them to write off their cars if they are looking to get laughed at.

I was in a similar situation with a Daihatsu where constant issues were killing me financially. I did what I could, but things kept breaking. I traded it in for a new Kia and didn't look back. But I essentially replaced the time and money I spent on problems with heavy monthly instalments and a lovely balloon payment. While it's a great car, and I still have it 6 years later, it's not all magic. I have had problems over the years, which mostly took a lot of time and negotiating to solve.

There is no magic solution I'm afraid. It sounds like your sister needs to either find a way to finance the shortfall, or make do with what she has until trade in value more or less matches the settlement amount. Fraud isn't the answer either.

You have done this forum a good service by warning us to stay away from those cars :D

The Voice

Executive Member
It's too good to be true. Sounds like there is a broken story there. That just does not happen. But to answer your question, anyone can call their insurance and ask them to write off their cars if they are looking to get laughed at.

I was in a similar situation with a Daihatsu where constant issues were killing me financially. I did what I could, but things kept breaking. I traded it in for a new Kia and didn't look back. But I essentially replaced the time and money I spent on problems with heavy monthly instalments and a lovely balloon payment. While it's a great car, and I still have it 6 years later, it's not all magic. I have had problems over the years, which mostly took a lot of time and negotiating to solve.

There is no magic solution I'm afraid. It sounds like your sister needs to either find a way to finance the shortfall, or make do with what she has until trade in value more or less matches the settlement amount. Fraud isn't the answer either.

You have done this forum a good service by warning us to stay away from those cars :D
Yeah, sounds a bit off. Remember, an insurer's number one priority is to do everything possible not to have to pay out.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Yes, I know you could drive it off a bridge. But hear me out first.

My sister bought a Peugeot 207 I think 2013 model with 92000kms but it is giving endless problems after 8 months driving. She has exhausted all of her warranty repairs (that she had to buy as an addon extra). So many parts that simply failed which she had inspected by two different workshops to confirm that everything is really failing and not just someone to try make money. (Bosch service and E-Car service).

So now her boss told her that his 2012 Discovery engine has failed due to a notorious crank bearing that Land Rover knows about, and cost to repair would be R300,000. He says he simply phoned his insurance and told them to write the car off. How does that work? Can my sister just phone First for women and tell them to write it off? It sound very suspicious to me.

What other options does she have? She wanted to trade it for a new Yaris but they told they that they not gonna give her R60,000 for the peugeot and the balance of R50,000 will be added to the Yaris... yikes.
Writing it off is easy.

You ask yourself, "Is it worth repairing it?" , if you answer "No, I ain't paying to repair it", then it's a write-off.

I do not know where the difficulty is :whistling:

Yeah yeah, I know you are talking about having the insurer write it off, but that bosses story is probably nonsense.