How Many People on MB have Rain Problems?

Solarion

Honorary Master
Find something else. Honestly.

This might not even be for me. I basically can't get ADSL/Fibre in this area. However I need something uncapped. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask.

Goosfrabba

Expert Member

Solarion

Honorary Master
Don't. I am on the R479 package and getting pings in the hundreds and downloads around 0.5 mbps. Their support is appaling. I am about to take the matter up with ICASA

I was seeing this in the news over lockdown. Noted! I will maybe look at a bit more pricier option like a fixed LTE with mtn or telkom. I need stability as it's for work.

Matt91

Expert Member
I was seeing this in the news over lockdown. Noted! I will maybe look at a bit more pricier option like a fixed LTE with mtn or telkom. I need stability as it's for work.

openweb seems good - never dealt with them so cant say about customer service.

1592913061484.png

Goosfrabba

Expert Member

Resigned with Rainend of May. That 1st week was brilliant. 1st week of June was appalling. Then the 2nd week of June it suddenly came right but after that it has been very ordinary.

The unusable pings of 3000 and downloads of 0.2 Mbps seem to be minimised but still getting and average ping around 400+ and a download of between 0.5 and 1 Mbps. It is at least usable to a small extent but still garbage. I have 11 towers within a 2.3 Km radius.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
This might not even be for me. I basically can't get ADSL/Fibre in this area. However I need something uncapped. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask.
Prob is they're not limiting things like torrents on their network and throughput suffers because of that. How about a 200GB deal through Axxess/Afrihost's LTE offerings?

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Resigned with Rainend of May. That 1st week was brilliant. 1st week of June was appalling. Then the 2nd week of June it suddenly came right but after that it has been very ordinary.

The unusable pings of 3000 and downloads of 0.2 Mbps seem to be minimised but still getting and average ping around 400+ and a download of between 0.5 and 1 Mbps. It is at least usable to a small extent but still garbage. I have 11 towers within a 2.3 Km radius.
Hi Goosfrabba,

Thanks for the feedback and as communicated with you via DM, we have been looking into your conditions and providing you with feedback from our networks team.

We appreciate your patience and continued understanding as we continue to engage on the matter.

Regards,
rain_mobile

Jacada

Stopped using them about 2 months ago. Getting 20KB/s download speed was driving me crazy.

R_D_V

Couldn't hurt to test it out and cancel if it doesn't live up to your expectations. I was also skeptical when I ordered my sim a few weeks ago after my ADSL went down but it has been working well. My SO has been using it to work from home and hasn't complained at all.

One thing I must mention though is that I am about 100m from the nearest tower and can literally see it from the window where the router is placed.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Couldn't hurt to test it out and cancel if it doesn't live up to your expectations. I was also skeptical when I ordered my sim a few weeks ago after my ADSL went down but it has been working well. My SO has been using it to work from home and hasn't complained at all.

One thing I must mention though is that I am about 100m from the nearest tower and can literally see it from the window where the router is placed.

I will try Rain. On the neighborhood chat I'm in, some are happy, some are not so it's very mixed. I'll give it a crack :):thumbsup:

Jono_jt

NickNack2000

After setting up an external antenna (and living in an outskirt area) I've gotten constant 10mbps most of the day on 24/7 and 25mbps on 19/7, which is usually better after midnight. Before the lockdowns I used to be at 50-60mbps though but I won't complain. This naturally goes without saying that I had close to no speeds prior to the antenna.
Hi. I wanted to find out what setup you went with as my speeds are non existent and im in Cape town Goodwood area. Please and thank you

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
Hi Goosfrabba,

Thanks for the feedback and as communicated with you via DM, we have been looking into your conditions and providing you with feedback from our networks team.

We appreciate your patience and continued understanding as we continue to engage on the matter.

Regards,
rain_mobile

I must just be patient while this is my performance. But come end of the month are you gonna debit me the full amount? You betcha! You have oversold your product and have no idea how to manage your network. I am now approaching ICASA:

Screenshot_20200623-171857.png

powermzii

Expert Member
It's not the wrong place, it's just that people have been burnt by Rain, so responses might not be what you are looking for..

Take the suggestion above of testing with a 1G sim card to check coverage and throughout then decide after that.

I've been lucky and we've had great speeds 120-250Mbps daily all day since I got the package 2 months ago... There are many other who have gotten much much less than that as well