• 10% to 20%

Votes: 53 38.4%
  • Over 20%

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
How much do you usually tip your waiter in a restaurant? What determines your tip amount?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Minimum 10 percent. If I get good service or I'm in a good mood and I'll give more.

David101

10%, and if the service was really outstanding....more
and vice versa

Reactions: Fro

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Far more than I can afford usually. Can't help myself. It will take some really terrible service for me to tip less generously. Which is not to say I'm particularly generous, just an idiot with a soft spot for people in the service industry.

For the record, tipping should not exist, at least not in the sense that it is expected, although I don't suppose the economics of the country will really allow for that in most cases.

Stokstert

Executive Member
Depends on the waiter, if he is friendly and efficient he might get a bonus percentage over the normal 10%. An efficient waitress with some looks and friendliness has a much better chance to get bonus %s. ;)

Fro

Normally between 10 and 20 percent. I tend to tip more generously if I had a few

sand_man

Honorary Master
Depends on the service. I'll seldom tip less than 8% and up to 15% for exceptional service.

Ecco

Executive Member
10% ad default, higher for great service.

But it made me weep tipping in the US, where 15% is minimum, and 20% is kind of average

SAguy

Expert Member
My baseline is 10%, can go either way depending on the waiter - I won't punish a waiter for something they can't directly control either.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
I only tip 10% if the service in a restaurant was more than I was expecting. If the service was adequate / acceptable I don't tip at all. If the bill comes with tip automatically added I remove the tip. Often the manager will come over but I stand my ground.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
For the record, tipping should not exist, at least not in the sense that it is expected
I agree 100%.

You tip a waiter. Then you tip the fuel attendant. Then the car guard. So then do you also tip the teller? What about the toll booth operator? The guy directing traffic at a busy intersection? Your child's teacher? ........ Guess you can see where this is going.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Usually VAT as long as the service supports it.

People, who as a rule don't tip, should eat at home.