Huawei B315 + wireless repeater

Al99

Hi,
I have setup my B315, all is good & I'd like to extend the wireless range. I have another old router that can act in "Wireless Repeater" mode so I figured I'd use that. When I setup the 2nd router in repeater mode I need to enter the mac address of the B315, all quite straightforward.
The problem comes when I look at the B315 as I see no option to make this a "base-station" (this mode is apparently needed to allow repeating) and then I would enter the mac address of router 2 in there but there are no options for this.

Has anyone used a repeater with a B315?

sajunky

Honorary Master
No one. It doesn't support general standard called WDS. Possibly works with some Huawei own extenders.

However you can extend LAN by using cable. Added bonus is that if you disable WiFi on B315s, it works faster.

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
AFAIK, both devices have to support WDS, even they do, there is no guarantee that it will work. The best chance is if both devices are the same brand. There are other solutions, but WDS is the most widespread. B315 do not support WDS, but it might work with Huawei extenders.

Al99

It's apparent now that without WDS the B315 can't be extended in that way but everything I have read indicates that those generic range extenders as I mentioned above connect as a regular wireless client (basically just click the wps button on both and they're connected) ie. it should be possible to extend the network without wds.

sajunky

Honorary Master
It's apparent now that without WDS the B315 can't be extended in that way but everything I have read indicates that those generic range extenders as I mentioned above connect as a regular wireless client (basically just click the wps button on both and they're connected) ie. it should be possible to extend the network without wds.
WiFi xtenders can also work as ordinary network adapters, the same as wireless adapters inside laptops. In this mode they do not extend WiFi network. Maybe you are meant WiFi adapters, not extenders? :)

Al99

OK so I have tried out a generic "Range Extender" (TP Link as per my previous post) and this works great! The conclusion is that a WDS-style repeater will not work but a range extender will work for the B315.

VanVrede

I'm trying to do that but getting stuck

I had this set up before, but recently reset my Huawei B315 and can't seem to figure out the proper settings to get it to work again.

I'm using a B315 router to access LTE from telkom. This router is upstairs. I then run a LAN cable from its LAN port to the Wan port of a Tenda router downstairs to provide wifi downstairs.

It used to work. The Tenda router picked up the internet from the B315 as if it is was a modem, but after resetting the B315 it no longer works. Can't recall if there was a setting on the B315 that I'm missing.

It's not a cable problem. If I plug the cable directly into a computer, instead of the Tenda router, it works fine.

Any ideas