Huawei Honor Thread

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
With the Honor 8X launching the Honor brand in South Africa at a very attractive price of just R5499, I think it's a great time to create a thread around it starting with the 8X, we can then expand on more models as we go.

Highlights:

- 6.5inch 1080x2340 LTPS IPS LCD Display
- 91% Screen-to-body ratio
- Dual Camera setup with AI: 20 MP, f/1.8, 27 mm (wide), PDAF and 2 MP, depth sensor
- 16MP Front Facing AI Selfie Camera
- Kirin710 Processor with GPU Turbo support
- 3750mAh Battery with Fast Charging
- Entry level variant comes with 4GB RAM with 64GB Internal Memory, but there is also a 6GB RAM 128GB Memory variant and a 6GB 256GB top end variant - not sure if this one will make it to our shores.
-All variants include a MicroSD soot

Some reviews around the Honor 8X:
GSMArena:
Android Authority:

Last edited:

Tcyte

I saw they launched Honor View without a notch, any idea when they will bring it in SA?

Park@82

Honorary Master
I think I saw some in a clothing store yesterday (Foschini?). Do they have Android Pie yet? Will these be available on contract? This may be a better option than the Psmart 2019.

To bad no USB type C :(

Tcyte

I think I saw some in a clothing store yesterday (Foschini?). Do they have Android Pie yet? Will these be available on contract? This may be a better option than the Psmart 2019.

It does have type C because how else can it support fast charging

Park@82

Honorary Master
It does have type C because how else can it support fast charging
It does not have Type C. I'm pretty disappointed about this. I guess at this price range one cant have everything.

Fast charging (Quick charge) has been around for longer than USB type C. The S7 had it for example.

Last edited:

Park@82

Honorary Master
@Tsepz_01 have you had hands on with the SA models yet?

I like they included a tri-slot (Dual sim + SD slot). I wonder if the Cell C + Telkom models will have this.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member

I like they included a tri-slot (Dual sim + SD slot). I wonder if the Cell C + Telkom models will have this.
Not yet. If I do get a chance I will let you know as I was also very curious about this Tri-Slot, which makes the most sense for people who want dual Sim and expandable memory, I'm surprised more high end dual Sim phones don't have this sort of slot.

Tcyte

oh that's a great one, wish more OEMs can follow suit

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Maybe someone can explain to me the reason & market positioning of Honor phones? Yes, it’s priced lower then the high end Huawei models offering a great features to price ratio but the Huawei lineup itself is so similar & covers across all price points. Personally I just see duplication.

Sumen

Expert Member
Maybe someone can explain to me the reason & market positioning of Honor phones? Yes, it’s priced lower then the high end Huawei models offering a great features to price ratio but the Huawei lineup itself is so similar & covers across all price points. Personally I just see duplication.
It's meant to be an online brand - meaning that they sell their phones through online channels instead of in store, that's how they keep their prices low.

But in SA Honor will not be selling their high-end phones and will be focusing mostly on the budget to mid-range segment.

chefdude98

Expert Member
With the Honor 8X launching the Honor brand in South Africa at a very attractive price of just R5499, I think it's a great time to create a thread around it starting with the 8X, we can then expand on more models as we go.

Highlights:

- 6.5inch 1080x2340 LTPS IPS LCD Display
- 91% Screen-to-body ratio
- Dual Camera setup with AI: 20 MP, f/1.8, 27 mm (wide), PDAF and 2 MP, depth sensor
- 16MP Front Facing AI Selfie Camera
- Kirin710 Processor with GPU Turbo support
- 3750mAh Battery with Fast Charging
- Entry level variant comes with 4GB RAM with 64GB Internal Memory, but there is also a 6GB RAM 128GB Memory variant and a 6GB 256GB top end variant - not sure if this one will make it to our shores.
-All variants include a MicroSD soot

Some reviews around the Honor 8X:
GSMArena:
Android Authority:
The Honor 8x is R4000 from Amazon.This price includes all costs associated with importing to SA. Local operators are over charging us.

chefdude98

Expert Member

The P Smart 2019 is overpriced crap. I was considering getting it but won't for a few reasons.

Amazon has P smart 2019 for R3200 including all costs to import it here vs R5000 local rip off price.

Anyway the P Smart 2019 isn't worth it cos no gorilla glass, the back is plastic & scratches easily.

I think the P smart 2019 might have bending issues aswell. The Honor 10 lite is basically a copy of the p smart 2019 & the build quality of honor 10 lite is trash.

The honor 10 lite bends very easily and has a crap build quality.

The previous P smart seemed to be off a better build quality.

*Many of these Honor phones have a crap build quality. The honor 9 lite bends with little effort. They also seem to use an inferior glass protection *

The Honor 8 x uses gorilla glass thou. It should be fine.

chefdude98

Expert Member
Without the local warranty...
Go to the Huawei thread & read about that wonderful "premium warranty" on the P20. It is worthless.

Anyway, times have changed. Budget phones are a lot better & are pretty much disposable now. You don't need a warranty out of an affordable phone. Do your research & check for known issues.

A warranty on an affordable phone in 2019 is pointless. The odds are in ur favour

chefdude98

Expert Member
Btw the Honor Play(Gaming phone same Soc as Premium Huawei phones) is about R4500 from Amazon.We are being ripped off

chefdude98

Expert Member

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Go to the Huawei thread & read about that wonderful "premium warranty" on the P20. It is worthless.

Anyway, times have changed. Budget phones are a lot better & are pretty much disposable now. You don't need a warranty out of an affordable phone. Do your research & check for known issues.

A warranty on an affordable phone in 2019 is pointless. The odds are in ur favour
No thanks I like my peace of mind. Don't want to end up with a R4000 dud.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
*Many of these Honor phones have a crap build quality. The honor 9 lite bends with little effort. They also seem to use an inferior glass protection *

The Honor 8 x uses gorilla glass thou. It should be fine.
What drivel. My Honor 9 lite has a glass back and is helluva sturdy.