Huawei P30 Lite

miz_pimp

There doesn't seem to be a general thread about this device, thought I'd start one.

I got my device 5 days ago (Vodacom branded), and I'm loving it so far! I'm actually enjoying having the notch. I haven't really had the chance to play around much with the camera, but from what I've seen so far, it's pretty good! It's also much snappier than the P10 Lite.

I have a bit of an issue though. Two days ago, my SD card (SanDisk 64gb) became unexpectedly unmounted, without me doing anything. I checked my storage, and the SD card was mounted, so swiped the notification away. Today I got another notification, and wanted to know if anyone else has gotten the same notification. I used the SD card in my P10 Lite for the past 6 months with no issues. I've attached a screenshot of the message.

I know that the Mate 20 Lite had (still has?) a widespread issue of the SD card becoming corrupted, so I'm really hoping the same won't happen to mine.

Do any of you have the same issue?

Also, what are your impressions of the device?

STORMERSFAN

There doesn't seem to be a general thread about this device, thought I'd start one.

I got my device 5 days ago (Vodacom branded), and I'm loving it so far! I'm actually enjoying having the notch. I haven't really had the chance to play around much with the camera, but from what I've seen so far, it's pretty good! It's also much snappier than the P10 Lite.

I have a bit of an issue though. Two days ago, my SD card (SanDisk 64gb) became unexpectedly unmounted, without me doing anything. I checked my storage, and the SD card was mounted, so swiped the notification away. Today I got another notification, and wanted to know if anyone else has gotten the same notification. I used the SD card in my P10 Lite for the past 6 months with no issues. I've attached a screenshot of the message.

I know that the Mate 20 Lite had (still has?) a widespread issue of the SD card becoming corrupted, so I'm really hoping the same won't happen to mine.

Do any of you have the same issue?

Also, what are your impressions of the device?
Noob question.. Why would a person add this if there is already 128g storage.. And not just transfer the existing files on the SD card to the onboard.. Again apologies if it's a stupid question:)

miz_pimp

Noob question.. Why would a person add this if there is already 128g storage.. And not just transfer the existing files on the SD card to the onboard.. Again apologies if it's a stupid question:)
It's not a stupid question. It's just personal preference for me. I have everything stored on my memory card, photos, media, etc. I suppose it's just easier to move the memory card between devices than to copy all the files to the internal memory. Also, space was limited on my previous devices.

I am considering not using the memory card, to avoid any hassles, but I'm still two-minded about it.

Currantly

I haven't tried any sd card in my p30 lite. I remember my old s5 mini overheating when I tried adding one. Same card ended up working fine on my later Huawei.

miz_pimp

Well, I copied all my data to my internal storage, and formatted my memory card. I haven't copied anything to the sd card, but I'll see how it goes over the next few days.

@STORMERSFAN, another reason I have my SD card, is to make backups of my device. It can only be done with external storage, or via PC. So it's just easier for me to use with external storage.

4ftersh0ck

This looks like a great option for a mid-range phone. Does it come with a cover and screen protector?

sajunky

Honorary Master
@miz_pimp. In addition to a warning regarding quality of SD cards, I would not recommend swapping SD card. On my phone it is a combo tray with SIM card. I am very careful when removing the tray. First it needs to go airplane mode with WiFi/Bluetooth off, then unmount external storage. If SD card is formatted as an internal storage, it should only be done when the phone is powered off.

For a backup I use OTG cable with USB memory stick on my phone. Similar things you can used on P30 Lite that has Type-C reversible connector. Some USB memory sticks have type-C connector that eliminate a cable (but I would rather use flexible cable to not expose connector on the phone to a mechanical stress).

Much more convenient to use than swapping SD cards.

miz_pimp

@miz_pimp. In addition to a warning regarding quality of SD cards, I would not recommend swapping SD card. On my phone it is a combo tray with SIM card. I am very careful when removing the tray. First it needs to go airplane mode with WiFi/Bluetooth off, then unmount external storage. If SD card is formatted as an internal storage, it should only be done when the phone is powered off.

For a backup I use OTG cable with USB memory stick on my phone. Similar things you can used on P30 Lite that has Type-C reversible connector. Some USB memory sticks have type-C connector that eliminate a cable (but I would rather use flexible cable to not expose connector on the phone to a mechanical stress).

Much more convenient to use than swapping SD cards.
Thank you for the tips! I might remove the memory card, and use it in my laptop instead.

Also for the record, I don't swap memory cards, I only use it in one device, and ONLY remove it when I get a new phone, and that's every 2 years.

Currantly

Anyone know if the P30 lite has a dark mode for the interface? I saw how to active it in a P30 tips video, but my lite doesn't appear to have the option?

According to Huawei:

To activate the Dark Interface, go to Settings, tap Battery and press Darken interface colours.
Might it have something to do with the theme I'm using?

miz_pimp

Anyone know if the P30 lite has a dark mode for the interface? I saw how to active it in a P30 tips video, but my lite doesn't appear to have the option?

According to Huawei:

Might it have something to do with the theme I'm using?
Nope, no dark interface on the lite models, unfortunately. You'll need to use a third party theme to get the darkened interface. This is one thing that I can't understand about Huawei. They remove simple software features from the Lite versions that are completely unnecessary, and wouldn't affect device performance.

G-Pix theme is not too bad, but it obviously won't be perfect. Here's a link if you'd like to check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emui.en.com.gpix2dark

FiestaST

Honorary Master
This looks like a great option for a mid-range phone. Does it come with a cover and screen protector?
Can I expand on this. I see no mention of any formal screen protection.

Can I assume the phone is using there own version of toughened glass?

chefdude98

Expert Member

Huawei doesn't use Gorilla Glass on cheaper models.

Last year only the P20 & P20 pro had Gorilla Glass. The light version & the many other versions of Huawei devices don't get it.

That is the only thing that annoys me about Huawei. Oh yea & it is difficult to see the led notification light on the P30 lite.

Currantly

Nope, no dark interface on the lite models, unfortunately. You'll need to use a third party theme to get the darkened interface. This is one thing that I can't understand about Huawei. They remove simple software features from the Lite versions that are completely unnecessary, and wouldn't affect device performance.
Yeah, such a strange thing to leave out. I can understand why some features are not on the P30 lite due to missing/different hardware, but the omission of software features seems odd. Maybe such features will arrive in a future update to EMUI...

G-Pix theme is not too bad, but it obviously won't be perfect. Here's a link if you'd like to check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emui.en.com.gpix2dark
Cheers. I'll check it out...

sajunky

Honorary Master

Gorilla Glass is a leader, but not only player.

Huawei use tempered glass of an unknown source on all models, including the cheapest one's I know. Some Huawei flagship model had been tested against Gorilla glass. It passed all tests, except a bend test. I don't remember a link, maybe someone else pop in.

Isn't Gorilla Glass an Israeli company? Israeli's bring so much hype on the Internet to a specific companies that people tend to believe.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Nope, no dark interface on the lite models, unfortunately. You'll need to use a third party theme to get the darkened interface.
You can find many dark mode designs in a Themes app. You just need to setup Huawei ID to browse a store. From a free dark mode designs I tried B-Gold and Simple nature. I don't like some new icons some of these designs, but it can be reversed to a standard shape or a type.

miz_pimp

You can find many dark mode designs in a Themes app. You just need to setup Huawei ID to browse a store. From a free dark mode designs I tried B-Gold and Simple nature. I don't like some new icons some of these designs, but it can be reversed to a standard shape or a type.
The free themes usually don't include darkening the whole interface, only the wallpapers. There's a third party themes app in the play store that has quite a few dark themes for free. Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deishelon.lab.huaweithememanager

I attached screenshots of the G-Pix theme that I linked to in my previous post. I prefer the darkened interface. I'm not a fan of the icons though, but I'll change it to the stock Android icons.

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Gorilla Glass is a leader, but not only player.

Huawei use tempered glass of an unknown source on all models, including the cheapest one's I know. Some Huawei flagship model had been tested against Gorilla glass. It passed all tests, except a bend test. I don't remember a link, maybe someone else pop in.

Isn't Gorilla Glass an Israeli company? Israeli's bring so much hype on the Internet to a specific companies that people tend to believe.
Thanks. Do think you that would include all Honor phones?

Sumen

Expert Member
Huawei doesn't use Gorilla Glass on cheaper models.

Last year only the P20 & P20 pro had Gorilla Glass. The light version & the many other versions of Huawei devices don't get it.

That is the only thing that annoys me about Huawei. Oh yea & it is difficult to see the led notification light on the P30 lite.
P20 and P20 pro don't have gorilla glass.