• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

ICASA Type Approval - how long does it take?

RandomGeek

Morning All.

I have a question - has anybody ever gone through the process of taking a piece of equipment through the ICASA type approval process? We are looking at importing WiFi and potentially GSM products. If anybody can give me an indication on timelines and cost it will be much appreciated

phaktza

Executive Member
Morning All.

I have a question - has anybody ever gone through the process of taking a piece of equipment through the ICASA type approval process? We are looking at importing WiFi and potentially GSM products. If anybody can give me an indication on timelines and cost it will be much appreciated
I would like to know too... and if there is an agency we should be using?

First time we did it, with FCC and CA already in place, it took nearly 8 months. We are now doing it for a second time, with FCC and CA, and have found an organisation that can track and possibly expedite and they say minimum 3 months - not sure of their name but someone found them on google.
Its incredible that it takes so long when you already have certification and approval to sell across Europe and the United States. Another level of bureaucracy just waiting for your money.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
8-16 months... and I think (not sure) my company at the time got it down to three by doing that thing that you know they love here in Africa..