Ikonic IT / Ikonix - avoid this company!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillgner

I need to vent - I'm just really disappointed after spending several years and many thousands of rands supporting a small online computer retailer - and I've basically ended up getting shafted.

Here's my sad story: I ordered a 3TB "WD Mybook Essential" external harddrive on 2 April 2013, along with other items totaling R3,737 - I wanted to use it to make backups of an identical 3TB drive. I unpacked everything but only got around to attempting my 1st backup 1 month later. I then discovered the drive that had been delivered was in fact only a 2TB drive.

I immediately notified Ikonic - who blamed their supplier and then claimed they could only replace the drive with the correct item if I had kept the box! I explained that I had discarded all the packaging a month earlier - the drive looked identical to my existing 3TB drive and it was only when I attempted to copy all my files that the problem became apparent.

Ikonic offered to re-imburse me the difference in price between the 2TB unit and the 3TB unit - I explained that I ordered a 3TB unit to backup my existing 3TB unit - the 2TB drive is useless. This went back and forth, with iKonic taking absolutely no responsibility - 6 months have now passed and I gave them one last chance to do the right thing. This evening I noticed that they credited my account - with R114! Thanks to iKonic, I've been robbed of R1475 for a 2TB drive I have no use for.

Pada

Executive Member
I'd say they acted perfectly reasonable and that it is all your fault for:
1) not ensuring that you received the correct goods
2) throwing away the box while it is still under warranty

If you really have no use for the 2TB drive, then format it, sell it and buy another 3TB!

The only thing that I had against iKonicIT was their bidding website.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master

If you really have no use for the 2TB drive, then format it, sell it and buy another 3TB!

+1 on your entire post

shakebake

Also agree with Pada. I always keep packaging for a while just 'in case' something goes wrong.

Without the packaging not a lot can be done.

F

Fudzy

Non pity party here either, I would suggest changing your heading.

Dean

Expert Member

+1

One can't expect a reseller on tight margins to take a loss on a unit that they can't even resell (no box), and all this a month after the sale... you're dreaming OP.

Splinter

Honorary Master

+1 on your entire post
Agree with Pada...
Also agree with Pada. I always keep packaging for a while just 'in case' something goes wrong.

Without the packaging not a lot can be done.
Sorry, but it is totally incorrect to suggest the OP is wrong. The OP ordered and paid for a product that was not supplied. Simple as that. The CPA covers the OP and he/she should report them as such.

As for those saying you must "keep the box" I would like to know where this little gem of consumer rights comes from. My immediate reaction that it is not supported by any law is open for rebuttal?

Splinter

Honorary Master
+1

One can't expect a reseller on tight margins to take a loss on a unit that they can't even resell (no box), and all this a month after the sale... you're dreaming OP.
One can expect that - what land are you dreaming in?

Wogan

Sorry, but it is totally incorrect to suggest the OP is wrong. The OP ordered and paid for a product that was not supplied. Simple as that. The CPA covers the OP and he/she should report them as such.

As for those saying you must "keep the box" I would like to know where this little gem of consumer rights comes from. My immediate reaction that it is not supported by any law is open for rebuttal?
Suppliers make mistakes - it happens - but just about the only thing you can get out of scot-free as a consumer is a contract, within the cooling off period (about a week?). After a month, sure, you could argue that they made a mistake, and even though you used the product for a full month you should still get a refund, but the legal fees involved would probably be more than the cost of the new drive.

Might as well sell that drive and take the loss, it'd be cheaper. That's what I'd do, anyway.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Did it come in a box like this?

If so, did the box say 3TB on it? I guess it would be kind of tricky if you had a 2TB drive delivered in a 3TB box - if that was the case then I would take it up with WD directly.

If however it said 2TB on the box then onus is you to check the stock is correct before opening it.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Did it come in a box like this?

If so, did the box say 3TB on it? I guess it would be kind of tricky if you had a 2TB drive delivered in a 3TB box - if that was the case then I would take it up with WD directly.

If however it said 2TB on the box then onus is you to check the stock is correct before opening it.
No it is not? Are you chaps consumers in any way? I have had similar issues with online retailers; and if anyone of them said the onus was on me to check that they had supplied the goods I ordered and paid for....grrrrrrr

The onus is on the seller to supply the goods offered and paid for. There is no debate. You open a package a month or two later without looking at the packaging, and throw the packaging away is totally irrelevant.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Guess I'm going to argue with you as well :)
For some reason, I have an inkling you disagree for the sake of disagreeing although there might be a possibility I am wrong

Mistakes do happen, and the first one lies with the supplier as they provided the wrong goods.

As soon as he signed (assumption) to receive the incorrect goods without checking it, he already made a mistake. Then he waited a month to test a hard disk. That's just plain stupidity on his part.

The packaging requirements are demanded by the manufacturers, and exists in all warranty agreements (what world are you living in?) and so it filters down to suppliers also,especially a small one like ikonix who don't have stocks. I keep all the packaging of my stuff in the garage until the warranty runs out, or I don't really value the goods anymore.

Maybe he should stick to sahara and get his hard disk in a plastic bag (do they still do that?)

Splinter

Honorary Master
Suppliers make mistakes - it happens - but just about the only thing you can get out of scot-free as a consumer is a contract, within the cooling off period (about a week?). After a month, sure, you could argue that they made a mistake, and even though you used the product for a full month you should still get a refund, but the legal fees involved would probably be more than the cost of the new drive.

Might as well sell that drive and take the loss, it'd be cheaper. That's what I'd do, anyway.
Did you read all of it?

Splinter

Honorary Master
For some reason, I have an inkling you disagree for the sake of disagreeing although there might be a possibility I am wrong

Mistakes do happen, and the first one lies with the supplier as they provided the wrong goods.

As soon as he signed (assumption) to receive the incorrect goods without checking it, he already made a mistake. Then he waited a month to test a hard disk. That's just plain stupidity on his part.

The packaging requirements are demanded by the manufacturers, and exists in all warranty agreements (what world are you living in?) and so it filters down to suppliers also,especially a small one like ikonix who don't have stocks. I keep all the packaging of my stuff in the garage until the warranty runs out, or I don't really value the goods anymore.

Maybe he should stick to sahara and get his hard disk in a plastic bag (do they still do that?)
Tell me where this is a requirement in SA - the world I live in?

Splinter

Honorary Master
I enjoy a debate it must be said :)

But I do not dive into debates unless I believe I am right. I might still be wrong - but that is why we debate, not so? :)

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
No it is not? Are you chaps consumers in any way? I have had similar issues with online retailers; and if anyone of them said the onus was on me to check that they had supplied the goods I ordered and paid for....grrrrrrr

The onus is on the seller to supply the goods offered and paid for. There is no debate. You open a package a month or two later without looking at the packaging, and throw the packaging away is totally irrelevant.
I don't think this is fair on anybody. How on earth would retailers keep track of people trying to return things fraudulently if this was the case? I am a consumer but if you just accept products without looking if it is what you ordered then you're just asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.