Ikonic IT / Ikonix - avoid this company!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
You NEVER throw away packaging when the item is under warranty.

You must always check that you have received the correct products when ordering from online stores.
Me neither. My one cupboard is full of electronics boxes. I go through them once a year or so and chuck out what is no longer needed. It's also nice to keep boxes for certain things that can be resold.

That being said I should probably go through my cupboard, can't fit anything else in there :D

Splinter

Honorary Master
Me neither. My one cupboard is full of electronics boxes. I go through them once a year or so and chuck out what is no longer needed. It's also nice to keep boxes for certain things that can be resold.

That being said I should probably go through my cupboard, can't fit anything else in there :D
Only one cupboard? I have cardboard boxes that take up half of my garage - after filling a couple of cupboards.

iDOL

Expert Member

Lol, I have a shipping container, where I store my boxes and packaging.

Some peeps just can't understand. Warranty and resale.

Pada

Executive Member
Spunkywunky1:
Just have a quick read through Wootware's Return Policy: http://www.wootware.co.za/returns

In my opinion / understanding of the CPA is that the OP does not meet the requirements to have the right to return it any more!
The CPA does not exempt you from throwing away the box that the goods came in. Sure, you can toss away the box/packaging in which it was shipped by the courier, but not the actual product's box.

The CPA is there to protect the average consumer and not the ignorant & fraudulent!

The retail shop/supplier require the original box in this case. Without the box, the OP cannot say that either the supplier or retail shop was negligent in supplying a wrong product.
Typically if the unit is damaged, then its not always necessary to return it in its original packaging, because they just have to replace it with the same model. Here the issue is that the model is being disputed, and not that it is faulty or not reasonably suited.

The OP is welcome to send a complaint to the NCC, but I'm pretty sure they won't do anything in his case.

Last edited:

Batista

Executive Member
SO while OP was copying he didnt see something like 2000GB free of 2000GB?

Dean

Expert Member
To my knowledge, this hasn't been tested in court which ultimately it may have to be, but in terms of CPA, the consumers right to return the product is just that.

It would be foolish to assume that the product wouldn't include all packaging/accessories/etc. etc. as the consumer bought it from the store - without all of the above, it isn't the full product which was bought in the first place.. it's simply incomplete.

P924

Expert Member
Usually when you take delivery, you sign a form that states you received the goods on the invoice correctly and in good order. You are supposed to check it before you sign. If you did in fact sign such a form, you have almost no grounds for any claim.

Wogan

Did you read all of it?
Well, according to this: http://www.getclosure.co.za/article/consumer-protection-act-empowers-and-protects-sa-consumers.html - and specifically, this:

Chapter 2, Section 20 states that a consumer can return goods to a supplier and receive a full refund within 10 business days if the supplier has delivered:

goods that the consumer did not have an opportunity to examine before delivery, and has rejected on delivery. These goods must be returned at the risk and expense of the supplier.
You have 6 months if the product is defective (section 56), but you only have 10 days if the product is not what you ordered (section 20). OP had 10 business days (2 weeks) to contact Ikonic after the drive arrived. Instead, OP unpacked it, then shelved it and only used it a month later - including throwing away the packaging.

Ikonic will have a paid invoice and a signed delivery note saying that the goods were received in proper order, and they could argue that OP is trying to return a 2TB drive he didn't even buy from them (since they have no record of it), and the paperwork would bear that out.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Well, according to this: http://www.getclosure.co.za/article/consumer-protection-act-empowers-and-protects-sa-consumers.html - and specifically, this:

You have 6 months if the product is defective (section 56), but you only have 10 days if the product is not what you ordered (section 20). OP had 10 business days (2 weeks) to contact Ikonic after the drive arrived. Instead, OP unpacked it, then shelved it and only used it a month later - including throwing away the packaging.

Ikonic will have a paid invoice and a signed delivery note saying that the goods were received in proper order, and they could argue that OP is trying to return a 2TB drive he didn't even buy from them (since they have no record of it), and the paperwork would bear that out.
That sounds perfectly reasonable. Thanks.

Pada

Executive Member
+1 to what Wogan said!

Spunkywunky1 can go suck his poor reasoning.

G!zMo

Hi gillgner - I am owner of iKonix and I am terrible sorry that you feel we have done you a disservice, however, I believe we are always fair with our customers. I also believe offering you refund in the difference between the two drives is more then fair seeing that it is 1 month later you come back with this issue. If you had notified us immediately when you received the goods we would have been able to refund you the full amount even without the box and taken a total loss on the unit, however as we do not hold stock and get the stock from our suppliers strictly on an per a orders basis as we get orders in from the customer we have to abide by their returns policy which suppliers require which need the box even if the supplier is at fault.

We always try to go the extra mile for our clients, we have been around since 2008 ( 5 years ) and it is extremely rare that we get complaints. I do agree that we should have checked the goods when delivering and I will have a word with my staff in charge of dispatching of orders regarding this, however as someone who makes online purchases myself I also agree that you should always check the products upon receiving them just to ensure - we are all human after all and everyone can make mistakes, especially as there are only 3 of us running the entire company so on a busy day - although we are focused the occasional slip up can happen.

I am sorry that you feel we have scammed you and that we are an untrustworthy company, we pride ourselves in making our customers happy because we know that if a customer is happy they will always return, unfortunately it is now 6 months later and this is the first I am hearing of this. I will have a chat with my staff on Monday regarding this and see what we can sort out, I will not be able to give you the 3TB as we have already paid you for the difference and as I mentioned it is now 6 months later. I can however advertise it on the iKonix site as an open box item and see if we can get you your money back.

Should you have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact me either on the iKonix landline, my cell ( 083 415 0215 ) or my email warren@ikonix.co.za

Regards,

Warren Pleass

Splinter

Honorary Master
To my knowledge, this hasn't been tested in court which ultimately it may have to be, but in terms of CPA, the consumers right to return the product is just that.

It would be foolish to assume that the product wouldn't include all packaging/accessories/etc. etc. as the consumer bought it from the store - without all of the above, it isn't the full product which was bought in the first place.. it's simply incomplete.
You do not buy the packaging.....

Usually when you take delivery, you sign a form that states you received the goods on the invoice correctly and in good order. You are supposed to check it before you sign. If you did in fact sign such a form, you have almost no grounds for any claim.
Please - no-one here opens up packages and inspects. I have returned many goods that I have signed for without any issues.

It was what he ordered. Just not able to deliver on what he asked (therefore defective) - i.e. he ordered a hard drive. But yes, this is an interesting debate (why lawyers exits:) )

+1 to what Wogan said!

Spunkywunky1 can go suck his poor reasoning.
Hey, while I enjoy sucking on various bits of my woman, my reasoning is not one of them :). I will go look at the points posted above in more detail and hey, if I am wrong, I will have no problem in admitting it and apologising. Promise!

F

Fudzy

Hi gillgner - I am owner of iKonix and I am terrible sorry that you feel we have done you a disservice, however, I believe we are always fair with our customers. I also believe offering you refund in the difference between the two drives is more then fair seeing that it is 1 month later you come back with this issue. If you had notified us immediately when you received the goods we would have been able to refund you the full amount even without the box and taken a total loss on the unit, however as we do not hold stock and get the stock from our suppliers strictly on an per a orders basis as we get orders in from the customer we have to abide by their returns policy which suppliers require which need the box even if the supplier is at fault.

We always try to go the extra mile for our clients, we have been around since 2008 ( 5 years ) and it is extremely rare that we get complaints. I do agree that we should have checked the goods when delivering and I will have a word with my staff in charge of dispatching of orders regarding this, however as someone who makes online purchases myself I also agree that you should always check the products upon receiving them just to ensure - we are all human after all and everyone can make mistakes, especially as there are only 3 of us running the entire company so on a busy day - although we are focused the occasional slip up can happen.

I am sorry that you feel we have scammed you and that we are an untrustworthy company, we pride ourselves in making our customers happy because we know that if a customer is happy they will always return, unfortunately it is now 6 months later and this is the first I am hearing of this. I will have a chat with my staff on Monday regarding this and see what we can sort out, I will not be able to give you the 3TB as we have already paid you for the difference and as I mentioned it is now 6 months later. I can however advertise it on the iKonix site as an open box item and see if we can get you your money back.

Should you have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact me either on the iKonix landline, my cell ( 083 415 0215 ) or my email warren@ikonix.co.za

Regards,

Warren Pleass
Speak to rpm about a 'dealer' title. I'm happy to support companies that support MyBB.

za1

Expert Member
We always try to go the extra mile for our clients
Good to hear and on that note has anyone bothered to check the serial numbers to see the history of the 2TB drive?
Even DCC arn't complete douches, If the mistake originated from them then regardless of the time frame and packaging then surely they would rectify the error?

Wogan

It was what he ordered. Just not able to deliver on what he asked (therefore defective) - i.e. he ordered a hard drive. But yes, this is an interesting debate (why lawyers exits:) )
I think the CPA clearly defines the difference between defective products and non-delivered products - legal documents are absurdly precise with the meaning of words. And if this ever went to court, I'd imagine the CPA wouldn't protect OP here - consumers are protected against bad service and impulse purchases, but not from themselves :)

Dean

Expert Member
You do not buy the packaging.....
One absolutely does. One buys a product - which includes the packaging, all inclusive accessories and the "unit" or itself.
I'll bet that many here would complain if, when buying something from a store, it didn't come in its package, usually sealed.
Regardless though, it's pretty logical.

Splinter

Honorary Master
One absolutely does. One buys a product - which includes the packaging, all inclusive accessories and the "unit" or itself.
I'll bet that many here would complain if, when buying something from a store, it didn't come in its package, usually sealed.
Regardless though, it's pretty logical.
Nonsense.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I think the CPA clearly defines the difference between defective products and non-delivered products - legal documents are absurdly precise with the meaning of words. And if this ever went to court, I'd imagine the CPA wouldn't protect OP here - consumers are protected against bad service and impulse purchases, but not from themselves :)
The OP did did nothing wrong but assume he got what he paid for. I'm willing to bet the court would agree with me.

Dean

Expert Member
Nonsense.
Well clearly your opinion is in the minority here. Furthermore, I can only assume you aren't a judge nor part of any consumer commission, and as such will be as dismissive of your opinion as you seem to be of my seemingly more logical analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.