Illegal to stream from SA

Thor

Honorary Master
It will require game services (Steam, Origin, GOG etc) and streaming services (Hulu, Netflix, HBO etc) to register, and if they don't then the FPB will block the content. (must be done ISP level, I assume) so net neutrality gone as well.

How are they going to police this ? I can stream from Steam games if I want to. I often hop onto other people's streams to see how their matches are going. How in the world are they going to control this?

And what about Twitch ? Are they going to be scanning the channels all day to see who is streaming ?

KT-B

Honorary Master
It will require game services (Steam, Origin, GOG etc) and streaming services (Hulu, Netflix, HBO etc) to register, and if they don't then the FPB will block the content. (must be done ISP level, I assume) so net neutrality gone as well.
I don't see ISPs going for this. They will lose the business to the ISP that won't.

KT-B

Honorary Master
They have to comply with the law.
They also had to report all those using bitTorrents - and they never did. Anyone sharing movies and TV series on the internet were to be reported by the ISPs. None of my friends were.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
How they gonna know what I stream?
They'll watch it?

This is talking about content you create and stream - outbound. Not content you consume. It also appears to be limited to certain types of content being targeted. So if you want to live steam your next MTB race or the delivery of your new car, you should be fine. If you want to live stream ****-klapping your kids, you might have a problem.

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
where to start....this Bill has been around for 4 years and every now and then has raised the ire of these boards.....i am sure some non-alarmist commentary will be around soon but for now please bear in mind that this badly-drafted law needs to be interpreted practically
i.e. it says nothing about blocking content or ISPs blocking content
i.e. it will not make youtube illegal when it comes into law
i.e. it will not make it illegal for you to post a "funny" video of your cats on whatsapp or youtube or any other platform

...in fact, outside of requiring some of the major international online content providers to register, there is very little that will change in my view (note that some of these international providers like apple have already registered - others like netflix have not)

Thor

Honorary Master
They also had to report all those using bitTorrents - and they never did. Anyone sharing movies and TV series on the internet were to be reported by the ISPs. None of my friends were.
They are.

D tj

When idiots run the mad house....
I was a trustee in a block of flats, I volunteered to follow up on internet for the block after a fellow trustee said one of the tenants said we can easily get cheap internet in the block....the solution was x1 sim, uncapped naturally, a router and then distribute to all 70 flats....genius...R 10 - R12 ea / month.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
This law has nothing to do with us watching content by streaming the content over our devices. It has nothing to do with us downloading movies, series, games, software or whatever. It all has to do with the person or company distributing it. Streaming has just been added to the act to be recognized as it being distributed.

But, for people who wants to share their own videos or photo's, this is a whole different matter.