Illegal to stream from SA

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Also found this, which is just fkn ridiculous. :ROFL:

View attachment 635698

Distribution and streaming is not even close to being the same thing.
This seems to be if you create your own movie or game and distribute it without it being registered you will be fined or can face prison time.

It's pretty standard stuff.
Same as in America which has the ESRB

Everyone jumping the gun again.

Stream all you want. (Except anything to do with children. That should be obvious)

Thor

Honorary Master
This law has nothing to do with us watching content by streaming the content over our devices. It has nothing to do with us downloading movies, series, games, software or whatever. It all has to do with the person or company distributing it. Streaming has just been added to the act to be recognized as it being distributed.

But, for people who wants to share their own videos or photo's, this is a whole different matter.
Your last bit is incorrect. If you upload a video to YouTube it must be classified before hand.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Your last bit is incorrect. If you upload a video to YouTube it must be classified before hand.
No, my last bit is correct. It will be a different matter if you want to share content. I agree with you, users will now first have to have their content classified before sharing it on any electronic platform.

wizardofid

Expert Member
No it's for those specifically who during the course of their business stream or make money from streaming, it isn't directed a joe public in their personal capacity as far as I am aware.

Indie games on steam isn't ESRB rated either not is it a requirement for steam nor is it legally binding under US law regardless of being an indie or a triple AAA game (Miss information in this thread), Movies commercial or otherwise rated by the MPAA is also willingness to do so.

These systems was put in place to provide parents with information so that informed choices can be made about what is deemed safe for children.Also means unlikely to get sued as a result of having a rating. It also helps film studios with guidelines for various age restrictions and what is deemed appropriate or not.

Definitely not an outright money making scheme or force obligation we are getting it.

While I haven't read it in it's entirety, seems it may be targeted directly at South Africa, I would like to see them enforce content that focuses and is streamed and housed internationally,

Last edited:

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
Not true. If you want to argue please quote the relevant bits of the Bill that support what you say. A copy can be found at https://bit.ly/2Hzk4HD

No, my last bit is correct. It will be a different matter if you want to share content. I agree with you, users will now first have to have their content classified before sharing it on any electronic platform.
it is about whether you are in the business of distributing content - consider the definitions below

‘distributor’ means a person who conducts the business of distributing films, games or publications and includes a commercial online distributor;

‘commercial online distributor’ means a distributor in relation to films, games and publications which are distributed for commercial purposes using the internet;

‘non-commercial online distributor’ means any person who distributes content using the internet, or enables content to be distributed by a user of online services, for personal or private purposes;

...the only obligations on the last category is set out in section 18E of the Bill:

first bit of section 18 said:
18E. (1) Any person may complain to the Board about unclassified, prohibited content, or potential prohibited content, in relation to services being offered online by any person, including commercial online distributors and non-commercial online distributors.

(2) If, upon investigation by the Board or by the compliance officers in terms of section 15, it is established that there is merit in the complaint and or that the prohibited content or content being hosted or distributed using the internet constitutes prohibited content in terms of this Act or has not been submitted for examination and classification as required in terms of sections 16, 18, 18C or 18D, the matter must be referred to the Board which may, subject to due process of law—

(a) in the case of a non-commercial online distributor, issue a take-down notice in accordance with the procedure in section 77 of Electronic Communications and Transactions, 2002 (Act No. 25 of 2002); or

(b) in the case of internet service providers, issue a take-down notice in terms of section 77 of Electronic Communications and Transactions, 2002 (Act No. 25 of 2002)
...this may be close to useless and there are massive issues with the drafting but there is no requirement for an ordinary joe (i.e. not Showmax or Netflix) to register with the Board or submit content for classification

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
No it's for those specifically who during the course of their business stream or make money from streaming, it isn't directed a joe public in their personal capacity as far as I am aware.

Indie games on steam isn't ESRB rated either not is it a requirement for steam nor is it legally binding under US law regardless of being an indie or a triple AAA game (Miss information in this thread), Movies commercial or otherwise rated by the MPAA is also willingness to do so.

These systems was put in place to provide parents with information so that informed choices can be made about what is deemed safe for children.Also means unlikely to get sued as a result of having a rating. It also helps film studios with guidelines for various age restrictions and what is deemed appropriate or not.

Definitely not an outright money making scheme or force obligation we are getting it.

While I haven't read it in it's entirety, seems it may be targeted directly at South Africa, I would like to see them enforce content that focuses and is streamed and housed internationally,
100%.....they can't

semaphore

Honorary Master
Distribution and streaming is not even close to being the same thing.
This seems to be if you create your own movie or game and distribute it without it being registered you will be fined or can face prison time.

It's pretty standard stuff.
Same as in America which has the ESRB

Everyone jumping the gun again.

Stream all you want. (Except anything to do with children. That should be obvious)
Don’t you now it’s the order of the day for the MyBB arm chair activists to be all up in arms when they cannot even interpret an act correctly.

Thor

Honorary Master
VPN ftw!. They can go suck a tailpipe.
VPN wont help, if youtube account is in your name the content is legally yours and you are a SA citezen resiging in SA making you bound by the laws regardless of where the content was uploaded.

That is where the kak is going to come from like the embed aspect, if you own a website and you embed lets say a YT video of a Marvel movie trailer, you could get into **** as said trailer has not been approved by the FPB but as the site is is accessible from is owned/manaeged by you, you are the direct to consumer broadcaster of said video regardless of the source of the content.

Paul Bedford

‘commercial online distributor’ means a distributor in relation to films, games and publications which are distributed for commercial purposes using the internet;
So if I publish something on one of my websites and I make money from Adsense on the page that the video is on, am I a commercial online distributor?

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
...this may be close to useless and there are massive issues with the drafting but there is no requirement for an ordinary joe (i.e. not Showmax or Netflix) to register with the Board or submit content for classification
Thank you Sir Shiff for clearing that out. I was wondering about us plebs uploading dashcam videos.

Have a nice hoss from corral #3 (the best).