iPad: Best data service provider?

Ravilj

Hi All,

I was fortunte to get the 3G iPad for Christmas, the next thing is to choose the best suited provider to get a micro sim & data bundle from.

In terms of my usage, I have wireless at home so it would really be for here and there so I would probably use about 100-150Mb a month. I don't want to get a 24month contract out but rather use pay as you go.

I don't know anything about who is the better/preferred provider between MTN, Cell C & Vodacom with regards to data speeds and cost.

I assume all three will be able to offer micro sim cards?

Can you give me some advice as to who would be te better bet?

rorz0r

Executive Member
Current ipad doesn't support the 900mhz umts that cell c uses, so either voda or mtn. You're screwed on both I guess...

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Current ipad doesn't support the 900mhz umts that cell c uses, so either voda or mtn. You're screwed on both I guess...
AFAIK you only need UMTS 900 if you want their high speed access. This response on CellC's FAQ would indicate that you can still use non-UMTS devices

Can I use another operator’s dongle with my Cell C SIM?
Yes, as long as the dongle is UMTS 900 capable – otherwise you will not get the best speed experience.

Ravilj

Mars

Honorary Master
AFAIK you only need UMTS 900 if you want their high speed access. This response on CellC's FAQ would indicate that you can still use non-UMTS devices
Its my understanding that if its not UMTS 900 then you get only edge. I would test it, but I'm not too keen on chopping up my cell c data sim...

I use vodacom directly on my ipad, and I have a 2 gig Cell C thing that I use with a portable 3g/wifi router..

rorz0r

Executive Member
Is "not the best" at least 3G though? GPRS/EDGE = kill me now. Cell C seems to only have omfgawesome and killmenow speeds...

Ravilj

So after speaking to MTN and Vodacom...

MTN charges R110 for the micro sim and then you have to take out a Extended Data Bundle or what ever for 24months... Blegh! Else you can buy a normal sim card and go to Sandton who apparently can cut it up for you... and then you can have pay as you go.

Vodacom changers R20 for the sim and then R5 for a sim swap to a micro and there after your are good to use pay as you go.

After reading through the forums about Vodacom and MTN it looks like Vodacom is a bit better than MTN. I have a Blackberry through MTN and the internet connectivity is average to say the least. I suppose that is why it is cheaper then Vodacom's...

MTN Pay as You Go: 100MB is 65c per meg
Vodacom Pay as You Go: 110MB is 85c per meg

BrokenRSA

I use Vodacom pre-paid for my iPad. The main reason being that Vodacom's the easiest to activate a data bundle on your prepaid account. Once you've loaded the account with a prepaid amount (I do this via internet banking), you go to Vodacom's site, and convert that airtime to data.

Keep in mind that the iPad does not have SMS functionality. You will have to put the simcard into another phone if you want to use the SMS features of converting airtime to data. And since it's a micro sim, you'll either need an adapter, or a phone that can take a micro sim.

I just got a normal sized simcard, activated it on the Vodacom site with a normal phone, and then cut the simcard to size and placed it in my iPad.

fish

Im having the same problem choosing which provider to go with.
I was gonna try get one of those Vodacom Internet Starter Packs that are on sale for R399. They give you 100mb/month for 12 months and then you can add more prepaid data to that.
Has anyone tried this?

fish

I agree its not alot but he was asking for the best deal if he uses between 100-150mb a month. This will work out to less than R40 a month. And if need be he can add prepaid data bundles ontop.

But Im wanting to know if anyone has tried this?

redcliff

If you want 100 - 150MB/month, best is to buy the MyMeg 300 @ R139 (46c/Meg), all the bundles only expire at the end of the month after which you bought. So basically you buy a 300Meg bundle once every two months instead of the 110Meg bundle every month. Works out cheaper and you get more data. I usually get the 1Gig bundle once every two months.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Just do what I do...

WiFi only iPad...when at home,have Wifi~when not I have my N82 running JoikuSpot Premium App (mobile hotspot)..prepaid Voda Sim Card,buy airtime & get a 600mb bundle for R189...sorted

Solid speed and good coverage in CPT...

Doges

Anyone have experience with the Huawei portable modem sold at the Istores? If this is compatible with the high speed Cell C offering the Istore deal of an Ipad WiFi + portable modem sounds really good? I definately do not want to get the 8ta offering also available at Istores, Telkom already take enough of my money each month.

b1scu1t

I'd say the 8ta is the cheapest one and the cool thing is, it's prepaid. No contract.
512MB for R120
1GB for R160
3GB for R299

The bundle is valid until the end of the following calender month.
and it's powered by MTN towers.

I'm definitely getting this when I get my iPad.
I hope you are allowed to use this bundle with the wifi hotspot feature, so I can connect my iPhone to it. Also using this with tethering at home would be great.

Kompete

Expert Member
/Just dusting off an old thread.

Now with the iPad 2 that supports UMTS 900, is the Cell C prepaid whoosh deal (R999 which is 12 months x 2 gigs) better than 8ta? What about coverage?