iPhone 12 Rumours & Release Date

FiestaST

Honorary Master
iPhone 11, SE (2020) and XR also lose in-box chargers and EarPods

Yesterday Apple unveiled its first iPhones to come without a power adapter or earphones in the box. The new iPhone 12 models ship with a USB-C to Lighting cable and that's that and we now learn that thechange has been carried over to older models sold by Apple as well. From now on iPhone XR, iPhone 11 and iPhone SE (2020) units will only come with a USB-C to Lightning cable and no power adapter or EarPods in the box.

To partially offset the change Apple discounted the price of its EarPods by $10, taking them down to $19 apiece and matching the price of the new 20W power adapter.

11.JPGSE.JPGXR.JPG

bluepoole

I
Am I the only person who sees this as a pastiche of the 5s?
I genuinely think this a concern - is Apple in a creative rut or something?
I understand what you’re saying, but then again I suppose there are only so many ways to style a rectangle

FiestaST

Honorary Master
For the first time iPhone pre-orders will go live simultaneously around the world

Typically Apple starts pre-orders for its new gadgets at midnight local time in each country. This year, however, Cupertino decided to launch the pre-orders simultaneously around the world.

For the US, the start is at 5:00 am PDT, same for Canada. Moving east to the UK, the launch will be at 1:00 pm BST, a bit further to Germany go time is at 2:00 pm CEST, then moving all the way to Australia the start is set for 11:00 pm AEDT.

Accounting for the different time zones, the start is simultaneous (noon UTC). This means that some of you may have to get up early, others may need to stay up if you want to be among the first to place an order.

worried

The 12 is amazing, but if I find an 11 Pro for under R1000 per month with decent data, I'm taking it. I wonder when we will start seeing deals?

bluepoole

The 12 is amazing, but if I find an 11 Pro for under R1000 per month with decent data, I'm taking it. I wonder when we will start seeing deals?
I’m thinking along the same lines...I think with the next catalogue updates of all the carriers, which usually happen in the 2nd week of every month, will we hopefully see discounted deals

Dave

Honorary Master
For the first time iPhone pre-orders will go live simultaneously around the world

Typically Apple starts pre-orders for its new gadgets at midnight local time in each country. This year, however, Cupertino decided to launch the pre-orders simultaneously around the world.

For the US, the start is at 5:00 am PDT, same for Canada. Moving east to the UK, the launch will be at 1:00 pm BST, a bit further to Germany go time is at 2:00 pm CEST, then moving all the way to Australia the start is set for 11:00 pm AEDT.

Accounting for the different time zones, the start is simultaneous (noon UTC). This means that some of you may have to get up early, others may need to stay up if you want to be among the first to place an order.

I don't think that story is correct, I can remember orders opening at 8am UK time in the past (which coincidentally is midnight San Francisco time).

FiestaST

Honorary Master
iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max feature 6GB of RAM; iPhone 12 and 12 mini have 4GB

It looks like, along with another significant upgrade to the A-series processor, Apple has decide to pack in more RAM for some iPhone 12 models, too.

MacRumors was able to get a peek at plist files in the latest Xcode 12.1 beta, which revealed to the publication the RAM specs for the iPhone 12 lineup. Unsurprisingly it’s the Pro models that offer more RAM under the hood, with the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini both sticking with the amount of RAM Apple used last year in the iPhone 11 lineup.

These plist files have been accurate in the past, so there’s no reason to think they wouldn’t be now. And, according to the information at hand, the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max are equipped with 6GB of RAM. Meanwhile, the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini both boast 4GB of RAM.

As mentioned above, the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro both had 4GB of RAM.

ck1

Haha, all the best, I’d love to do the same but I just can’t, I used my 11PM without a case for a full day once and had a few close calls, it made me miss the days of phones using Faux Leather backs that were grippy.
I've been using my AW S6 since I got it naked with iCare, I know its a risk but its just so much nicer to touch the glass than some plastic screen protector. So far no scratch, touch wood :laugh: Same will go for the iPhone.

PeterPan420

Unlikely as the Pro devices got phased out. Retailers will just clear stock of whatever they have left in the upcoming month.

worried

Unlikely as the Pro devices got phased out. Retailers will just clear stock of whatever they have left in the upcoming month.
Surely there is a backlog of stock with the telecom providers that they need to clear out before the new models arrive.

Telkom & Vodacom Pro model offerings have become more attractive in the last week.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Apple iPhone 12 rumors: what was right and what we missed

Smartphone leaks and rumors have become a much larger business than it has been in the past, say 10 years. One company that we’ve seen be the victim of fake rumors the most has got to be Apple, but that’s changed in the past couple of years or so. With this article, we thought it’d be fun to go back and see which rumors about the iPhone 12 models were right (spoiler: many of them were) and which ones were completely off the mark.

Starting in 2017, Apple would announce three new iPhone models every year. This year, however, a report from back in May corroborated the fact that Apple would release four new iPhones. In addition, a report from back in June of 2019 confirmed the three screen sizes that would arrive on this year’s iPhones: 5.4", 6.1", and 6.7".

FiestaST

Honorary Master
iPhone 12 series doesn't support 5G in dual SIM mode

A leaked listing on Apple’s Sales Web (ASW) page, which provides detailed information on all of Cupertino’s products, revealed an important detail on the new iPhone 12 series’ 5G connectivity. You won’t be able to use dual SIMs while on 5G. You can either have your regular SIM card and eSIM working at up to 4G LTE speeds or use one of them on 5G. Dual SIM connectivity will automatically drop new iPhones to 4G speeds.

Snip.JPG

Dave

Honorary Master
iPhone 12 series doesn't support 5G in dual SIM mode

A leaked listing on Apple’s Sales Web (ASW) page, which provides detailed information on all of Cupertino’s products, revealed an important detail on the new iPhone 12 series’ 5G connectivity. You won’t be able to use dual SIMs while on 5G. You can either have your regular SIM card and eSIM working at up to 4G LTE speeds or use one of them on 5G. Dual SIM connectivity will automatically drop new iPhones to 4G speeds.

View attachment 935772
Stands to reason, Qualcomm still haven't released the update to allow 5G/4G dual sim working for the Android SoC's, so how would they have it perfected for the iPhone?