bernardlinde

Had a look at the iPhone today and am quite thankful that I am not going to pay a load of money for this one. Sure, it's beautiful and all, but for those of you who are still undecided, here are my reasons for NOT getting one:

1. No Bluetooth data transfer. Probably the most stupid thing they could have done. Bluetooth on this phone is basically just good for syncing and a headset. If you want to transfer that beautiful photo to your computer - either e-mail it or use the USB cable.

2. No MMS - and even though this is a minor issue to some and there have been calls to "stop moaning" about it, I think South Africans at least use this feature enough to miss it on this handset.

3. No own ringtones - forget about loading your favourite mp3 as a ringtone without additional software. You can, however, buy something from the iTunes Music store (obviously not available to the majority who do not have overseas accounts) and create a ringtone in iTunes.

4. Predictive text cannot be switched off - also a minor, but does make some Afrikaans SMSs a pain/impossible to write.

5. No "phone as modem" feature - an absolute standard on handsets these days - lord knows why this is not possible out-of-the-box on the iPhone

6. No video-calling - once again not something I use every day, but sure comes in handy sometimes.

7. GPS experience is limited currently to Google Maps. Might not be a problem overseas, but sure is a problem in SA.

8. Too damn expensive for its (lack of) features.

9. Bizarre data bundle on contracts.

10. Just to make up number 10 - no expansion slot, but this is also a problem on some other contenders like the HTC Touch Diamond.

But obviously, if the above is not important to you - go out and get one. In spite of its lacking crucial features in my opinion, it sure is one of the most beautiful phones ever to hit the market in SA.

Last edited:

d0b33

Honorary Master
Plenty of threads about this just use the search function.

VertigoZA

Apologies for starting a thread about the iPhone, but I can't seem to find one on MB.

Had a look at the iPhone today and am quite thankful that I am not going to pay a load of money for this one. Sure, it's beautiful and all, but for those of you who are still undecided, here are my reasons for NOT getting one:

1. No Bluetooth data transfer. Probably the most stupid thing they could have done. Bluetooth on this phone is basically just good for syncing and a headset. If you want to transfer that beautiful photo to your computer - either e-mail it or use the USB cable.

2. No MMS - and even though this is a minor issue to some and there have been calls to "stop moaning" about it, I think South Africans at least use this feature enough to miss it on this handset.

3. No own ringtones - forget about loading your favourite mp3 as a ringtone without additional software. You can, however, buy something from the iTunes Music store (obviously not available to the majority who do not have overseas accounts) and create a ringtone in iTunes.

4. Predictive text cannot be switched off - also a minor, but does make some Afrikaans SMSs a pain/impossible to write.

5. No "phone as modem" feature - an absolute standard on handsets these days - lord knows why this is not possible out-of-the-box on the iPhone

6. No video-calling - once again not something I use every day, but sure comes in handy sometimes.

7. GPS experience is limited currently to Google Maps. Might not be a problem overseas, but sure is a problem in SA.

8. Too damn expensive for its (lack of) features.

9. Bizarre data bundle on contracts.

10. Just to make up number 10 - no expansion slot, but this is also a problem on some other contenders like the HTC Touch Diamond.

But obviously, if the above is not important to you - go out and get one. In spite of its lacking crucial features in my opinion, it sure is one of the most beautiful phones ever to hit the market in SA.

I suggest you do your homework.

bernardlinde

Homework - really?

I suggest you do your homework.

Really, VertigoZA? Maybe if you pointed out which part you so strongly disagree with, I could go and have a look again.

Work-arounds and jailbreaking don't count for the purposes of what I wrote. These features are most definitely lacking out-of-the-box.

Last edited:

LancelotSA

Banned
Really, VertigoZA? Maybe if you pointed out which part you so strongly disagree with, I could go an have a look again.

Work-arounds don't count for the purposes of what I wrote. These feature are most definitely lacking out-of-the-box.

I too am absolutely shocked at how many things we have grown accustomed to as standard features which need to be added as third party apps on the iPhone. I just discovered it does not even record video straight out of the box! Crazy!

What has Apple done, just sold an empty hard drive and processor and left it to you to load the apps you want yourself?

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Guys please stop complaining about it. If you don't want it, then don't get it.

LancelotSA

Banned

Um, Pooky, this forum would be a little boring and useless if people did not express their views.

You fanboys stick to your "official iPhone" thread and let us rip the piece of cr_p apart in this thread.... if you all promise to no longer mention how wonderful the iPhone is, we will refrain from trying to get to the bottom of whether it really is that wonderful a device. Deal?

bernardlinde

It's not a question of complaining, but rather lamenting the omission of standard features on high-end phones. My goodness, if you buy an expensive German car and it doesn't have power steering or aircon, wouldn't you "complain"??

Can't think of anyone who doesn't WANT one, but people should ask themselves whether they SHOULD choose this phone over another in the light of the lack of features.

And obviously, Apple will not advertise these shortcomings, so someone must make them known!

d0b33

Honorary Master
Apple's main target market has been the iPod user base not the standard frankenstein cramp all-in-one phone market, besides many features will be incorporated if enough users request it the hardware supports most of the things you mentioned.

cwlinde

dob33, the iphone is designed for young Americans who have no clue about these features. They are happy with this phone, since most other mobiles in America suck! I am a Mac fan, but I'm not blind to Apple's mistakes which they keep on making since the beginning of their existence. They have no clue how the rest of the world operates. The iphone has the potential to be an awesome phone, but then Apple has to let go and let Europeans, South Africans and Asians determine features and specifications!

bernardlinde

Apple's main target market has been the iPod user base not the standard frankenstein cramp all-in-one phone market, besides many features will be incorporated if enough users request it the hardware supports most of the things you mentioned.

So now iPod users are low-end/lesser consumers??! And why must users request features if all the competition's phones already have them - especially with hardware that can potentially support all of this? This is rediculous.

Maybe the car analogy is handy again...if I buy an expensive car, I should not have to ASK for leather seats, it should be standard. ...whether or not I listen to an iPod or a cassette player, or have state of the art digital surround sound.

Maybe it would have been wiser not to have this phone developed by a bunch of California surfers.

d0b33

Honorary Master
dob33, the iphone is designed for young Americans who have no clue about these features. They are happy with this phone, since most other mobiles in America suck! I am a Mac fan, but I'm not blind to Apple's mistakes which they keep on making since the beginning of their existence. They have no clue how the rest of the world operates. The iphone has the potential to be an awesome phone, but then Apple has to let go and let Europeans, South Africans and Asians determine features and specifications!

I do agree... the first firmwares were crap and US centric, Apple's updates are improving slightly by learning from the rest of us.

Cybermoo

I really feel myself to be a gadget freak and to be absolutely honest I've hardly ever use Video Recording, The Camera or MMS. Features I don't think I'll miss.

Bloody hell, my N95 has a 5 Mega Pixel Camera that I really don't use.

I just like the phone for all the gadget features! :p That I don't USE!

So In that I can draw the fact that I LOVE the iPhone. It's a Phone when you need it to be a phone, an iPod when you need it to be an iPod and a Web Browser/Internet device if you need it to be one! Nothing MORE Nothing LESS!

It does what it is meant to do and that's good enough for me!

XCalibre

There's loads of apps available from the app store that'll sort most of these "problems". You all know you want one. Suur druiwe.

Oh and another BIG plus is, the interface is very quick. You don't have to wait for programs to open etc. it happens instantly.

cwlinde

XCalibre, of course I want one, but since it doesn't have the basic function I use everyday it is pointless. So I'll get my omnia on monday! :)

LancelotSA

Banned
So why exactly are we all sour grapes?

I am deciding between the Nokia N95 8Gb, the N82 or whether to hang on for the N96.... now as far as I am aware those phones go for the same price, if not more, than the iPhoney. It has nothing to do with not being able to afford the iPhoney but to do with choices... it's not like you need a special VIP ticket to get it. I can go to the shop and buy on if I so desire...

d0b33

Honorary Master
So why exactly are we all sour grapes?

I am deciding between the Nokia N95 8Gb, the N82 or whether to hang on for the N96.... now as far as I am aware those phones go for the same price, if not more, than the iPhoney. It has nothing to do with not being able to afford the iPhoney but to do with choices... it's not like you need a special VIP ticket to get it. I can go to the shop and buy on if I so desire...

you and rouxenator will get on well.