Iphone 5 roaming issues

gvz404

Good Day,

I have gone through many of the posts on this site, contacted Telkom mobile, and searched other sources to no avail. So I am posting my specific issue here with the hope that somebody on this site has the knowledge/expertise to help me out!!!!

I have a iphone 5 on a Telkom mobile contract, which roams to MTN when Telkom services are not available. Currently my phone will not roam to MTN at all. If I try to force it, and mess around with the international roaming settings (and turning the phone on and off etc..) I sometimes lick to MTN (with very poor signal) for a couple of seconds before it is lost and I get either a "selected network is not available", or "network access is restricted" error message.

If I use a different iphone 5, it works fine, and easily roams between Telkom and MTN, so it must be something on the phone settings, or iOS that is corrupted. I have tried to match al my settings to those of my wife's iphone 5 (same phone same contract), but it makes no difference.

The phone roamed fine until a while ago, my phone was 'stolen'. Thanks to 'find my iphone', it was retrieved within a coupe of hours. I blocked (And subsequently unblocked) the SIM, but never blacklisted the phone - and as mentioned before if I use the SIM in a different phone it works fine. I am not sure if the phone 'thief' tried something with the phone that messed with the basic settings/configuration. I have tried to restore factory settings etc, but this did not make a difference either.

If there are any phone guru's out there that can help wit this - it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanking you in advance for your insights.

Regards

GVZ404

qwertydudeza

Good Day,

I have gone through many of the posts on this site, contacted Telkom mobile, and searched other sources to no avail. So I am posting my specific issue here with the hope that somebody on this site has the knowledge/expertise to help me out!!!!

I have a iphone 5 on a Telkom mobile contract, which roams to MTN when Telkom services are not available. Currently my phone will not roam to MTN at all. If I try to force it, and mess around with the international roaming settings (and turning the phone on and off etc..) I sometimes lick to MTN (with very poor signal) for a couple of seconds before it is lost and I get either a "selected network is not available", or "network access is restricted" error message.

If I use a different iphone 5, it works fine, and easily roams between Telkom and MTN, so it must be something on the phone settings, or iOS that is corrupted. I have tried to match al my settings to those of my wife's iphone 5 (same phone same contract), but it makes no difference.

The phone roamed fine until a while ago, my phone was 'stolen'. Thanks to 'find my iphone', it was retrieved within a coupe of hours. I blocked (And subsequently unblocked) the SIM, but never blacklisted the phone - and as mentioned before if I use the SIM in a different phone it works fine. I am not sure if the phone 'thief' tried something with the phone that messed with the basic settings/configuration. I have tried to restore factory settings etc, but this did not make a difference either.

If there are any phone guru's out there that can help wit this - it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanking you in advance for your insights.

Regards

GVZ404

The phone could be blacklisted on MTN
Another option is use ITunes and backup the phone
Then factory reset it, test it with a blank config.
You can then restore the phone and see what happens

G

gvz404

The phone could be blacklisted on MTN
Another option is use ITunes and backup the phone
Then factory reset it, test it with a blank config.
You can then restore the phone and see what happens

G

Thanks, qwertydudeza

The system restore has not had any lasting effects...brief moment of excitement when it registered MTN, but again lost it after a couple of seconds. I am trying to connect with somebody at MTN to see if the phone is blacklisted....

Thanks again.

Gideon

qwertydudeza

Thanks, qwertydudeza

The system restore has not had any lasting effects...brief moment of excitement when it registered MTN, but again lost it after a couple of seconds. I am trying to connect with somebody at MTN to see if the phone is blacklisted....

Thanks again.

Gideon

Another thing is get an MTN SIM Pre Paid Card.