iPhone Smart plans vs iPhone Straight Up

gnomez

EPIC FAIL on Vodacom's side. Their plans are wayyy to complicated.
Cell C FTW ! :)

gnomez

Vodacom at least gets a 'noddy badge' for trying... which is 1 000 000 times better than the bloodsucking mtn :twisted:

ajules

Expert Member
@Jan do the 60 promo minutes only kick in once you have used up your 130 normal mins?

entrepr

Expert Member
Basically there is only one package worth trumpeting out of the whole list - and that is the Cell C Straight Up 50 - with that extra data.

This is strange, as 50 for usage is not what someone who can afford an iph4s would normally go for.

Maybe they're hoping users will break bundle - although oob pricing is not much different from in bundle.

I would have preferred Cell C to put a bit more effort into the 100 package and put the sweet spot closer to where the target market is.

Would also be nice to be able to shorten the contract periods to 12 or 18 and maintain the same deal sweeteners.

Last edited:

Executive Member
In short:

Vodacom
If all your contacts are on vodacom, and you only ever call them during "off peak", vodacom is cheaper.

MTN (EDIT, lets at least try to get this right)
If you recharge on thursdays, and for that thrusday only, you get 50% back* - meaning all calls are 50% cheaper.
This offer only lasts until end of this month only
You can only spend the "50%" back MTN to MTN calls
Joining MTN Zone (what ever that is**) might get you 100% discount to another MTN number
*Even with 50% more airtime to other MTN numbers, the price is still more than R1 per minute by my shoddy calculations
EDIT:
**When activating MTN Zone the package in-bundle and out-of-bundle rates will no longer apply. MTN to MTN calls will be charged at R2.50 and MTN calls to all other local networks will be charged at R3.00.

Otherwise, CellC is cheaper.

Last edited:

moonknight

In short:

Vodacom
If all your contacts are on vodacom, and you only ever call them during "off peak", vodacom is cheaper.

MTN (EDIT, lets at least try to get this right)
If you recharge on thursdays, and for that thrusday only, you get 50% back* - meaning all calls are 50% cheaper.
This offer only lasts until end of this month only
You can only spend the "50%" back MTN to MTN calls
Joining MTN Zone (what ever that is**) might get you 100% discount to another MTN number
*Even with 50% more airtime to other MTN numbers, the price is still more than R1 per minute by my shoddy calculations
EDIT:
**When activating MTN Zone the package in-bundle and out-of-bundle rates will no longer apply. MTN to MTN calls will be charged at R2.50 and MTN calls to all other local networks will be charged at R3.00.

Otherwise, CellC is cheaper.

Yea, you basically need a degree to decipher Vodacon and eMpTN's opaque 'bull**** baffles brains' offerings. :sick:

Last edited:

Neverwhere

+1 Cell C is winning because you don't need to consult a manual every time you want to make a call. You know what you're gonna pay all the time to everyone.

Obronie

I believe most of us here on the forums can understand all this nonsense of Vodacom comparing with the simplicity of Cell C. However most users do not and fall for the Vodacom sales talk. We need to spread this message out of simplicity which Cell C is bringing to the table. This smokes and mirrors of MTN/Vodacom must fail. This will force them to create simple plans that everyone can understand.

Viva Revolution, viva, now bring me my spear!

entrepr

Expert Member
There is real benefit in the MTN Zone pricing - you keep an eye on the cell broadcast for the discount, and call when you are happy with the price. That is especially appealling to people with an eye on budget who are prepared to wait before calling. It's especially good to know that later at night you can have a really good chinwag at very low prices.

People who are cost conscious are prepared to work this one out - and that is across Africa.

Since I make business calls, the Cell C option of 99c at all times obviously appeals. It's still a lot more than calling from a landline, but a big step in the right direction.