iPhones VS the rest (lets have some fun!)

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
How did the thumb appear in my post ... I never put it there :confused:
You must have.

BTW - from what I can see not one of those failings you point out is hardware related which means any of the countless application developers queuing up can probably address them even if Apple doesnt.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
What that backs up is that the iPhone is in fact a smartphone - obviously directly contradicting your other thread.

You really need to vet your sources better. First the was the GSM Arena review on the iPhone which concluded that one should buy it, and now this.

Do you not think that it is better to draw your own conclussions based on the findings? Or even better - present the facts and your conclusion in public where others can differ from it and give you a wider perspective on things? That is what forums are for , right ?

Also, as the article on Wikipedia says - there is no clear definition on what a smartphone is - so on that thread it is open for discussion whether the participant thinks the iphone is indeed a smartphone taking into account the findings of the GSM Arena review.

Personal attacks, power-play, name calling and other such posts just adds noise. (like iHype I guess :D)

eitai2001

Expert Member
Lol ... oh well, not the end of the world ... maybe I clicked the mouse in that area without realising :p

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Here's an equation:
Apple iPhone Smartphone - Document Editing - Voice Recording - Video Conferencing - Bluetooth File Sending - Java Support - Flash Support (Both for web browsing) - inability to sync notes / to-do lists - copy paste = Apple iPhone Not-so-smart phone. :D

Hehehehe - well that just equals to iPhoneanddoesnothingelse :p (yeah I know I already said it before). It's a joke that might not be funny for all.

Keeper

Honorary Master
it's a new phone, no sh|t. ofcourse it isn't being used as widely as nokia or the rest because they have been in the market for much longer.
The are new to the game: since jan 2007
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/09/BUGIBNFK493.DTL

Apple's stock is up because of the iPhone, and their market share is gaining tremendously.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11151839

they have such an exclusive phone that they can make rules of what networks can have it and who can't - that's power my friend.
Local Example: They are selling the iPhone to vodacom ONLY, and get 10% back from the calls you make! getting money from the calls made on the phone - woooah!
http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/n...951.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

i find it funny that there are so many iPod/iPhone clones made/being made(like nokia for example, who are 2 years behind) - "it looks like apple gots something right...."
http://www.intomobile.com/2007/06/02/p168-another-apple-iphone-clone.html

here's a video for you youtube lovers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buKaqRG2SFA&feature=related

Keeper

Honorary Master
Here's an equation:
Apple iPhone Smartphone - Document Editing - Voice Recording - Video Conferencing - Bluetooth File Sending - Java Support - Flash Support (Both for web browsing) - inability to sync notes / to-do lists - copy paste = Apple iPhone Not-so-smart phone. :D

as i said before - java is handled on the server backend!
all it means is you can't run little java apps. but like bwana said, they are making apps everyday, and they don't need java either.

eitai2001

Expert Member

Ok ... well thank you for providing articles ... thats much better :)

In article 1 ... I laughed at this: "Cell phone will have music, Internet capabilities, camera and more"

In article 2 ... Yes, stocks generally to tend to rise before something big is released ... the reason this doesn't happen to other cellphone manufacturers is they release new phones often. ... and I quote: "The iPhone goes on sale at the end of next week, and the anticipation has already sent Apple's stock soaring." ... if you know how stock markets are, you'll know that after the launch, the stocks will even out, and then probably come back down again. Due to the fact there are major glitches, I guarantee you those stocks will come down. But remember also, stock price is vastly different to market share. If they sell 10,000,000 units, they will only gain an additional 1% (also mentioned in the article).

Article 3 ... Yes, that is very nice for the back pocket ... but what happens when the iPhone loses popularity after the initial few months ... Vodacom will drop them quicker than a ton of bricks unless apple cancels the 10% thing. Also, they will lose potential market share because they want to undercut the cellular providers. So instead of growing massive, they stay small ... or relatively small.

Article 4 ... You comparing a Zune to an iPhone ... that ugly clunky thing :eek: ... I wouldn't compare that to my old Ericsson T10 :p
They not trying to make their phones the way apple does, they are trying to get the name apple has ... which is the one major thing apple got right.

If someone offered you a pair of jeans made by Denim with some "fashionable holes", or straight forward jeans from Mr Price with no holes ... which would you take (assuming they both free)

Keeper

Honorary Master
Now where are my articles?

Nokia was supposedly working on an iPhone type thing long before apple?

it's gonna be attack of the clones all over again - and i'm not talking about star wars, i'm talking about like what happend when apple beat Sony's walkman with the iPod - crap quality clones everywhere!

eitai2001

Expert Member
You must have.

BTW - from what I can see not one of those failings you point out is hardware related which means any of the countless application developers queuing up can probably address them even if Apple doesnt.

Sorry, never saw the edited comment.

Does that make my Sony Ericsson W660i a smart phone too because I can also download apps that do the stuff?

Keeper

Honorary Master
So what's your point?

nah dude, nokia and the whole gang are gonna being trying to copy apple, not just some phong kong company - rouxenator said it himself practically...

eitai2001

Expert Member
Now where are my articles?

Nokia was supposedly working on an iPhone type thing long before apple?

it's gonna be attack of the clones all over again - and i'm not talking about star wars, i'm talking about like what happend when apple beat Sony's walkman with the iPod - crap quality clones everywhere!

If Sony is a clone of apple ... then apple is definately a clone of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiger_Labs_MPMan_F10

I won't lie, the apples do look nice, and they got their marketing right the first time round ... but don't kid yourself, iPods are definately NOT the best quality players out there. I've sold Sony's and Samsung's with much better features and sound quality.

About the Nokia thought of iPhone first ... I dunno, can't find any articles for that ... but I never said it.

Another thing ... speaking of clones ... I believe that means the iPhone is a clone of Sony Ericsson Walkman Series because those were the first phones designed to be actual MP3 players too (To the best of my knowledge) ... and is more likely a clone of this: http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w950-1443.php ... the first touch screen phone with dedicated MP3 player (Also to the best of my knowledge).

I will not deny though that apple was innovative with multitouch ... but they must've cloned this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_(phone) for the touch screen idea

Shall I go on :D

eitai2001

Expert Member
nah dude, nokia and the whole gang are gonna being trying to copy apple, not just some phong kong company - rouxenator said it himself practically...

Like I said ... they will be trying to copy the Apple's fashion statement ... not the features.

As I sad ... Apple got their marketing very right. But this debate was not over how fashionable the iPhone is, it was about the phone itself.

Keeper

Honorary Master
ok - so a bugatti stole the idea of tyres, steering wheel and gears,etc,etc,etc,etc from other companies - but as a whole, it's a completely different car.

same with iphone - yes, it used touchscreen from a previouse design, yes, it's not the first phone with mp3's, but as a whole (huge touchscreen with intuitive UI with zooming browser, and not just plays regular mp3's, but has coverflow/etc, and motion sensors that rotates the display as you rotate the screen) it's a unique product, and will be copied for years to come.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord

In short - yes and in long - not really. What I mean is that the Nokia Tube (or 5800) will be aimed at retaining Nokia customers that want and iPhone (sure it will be a lot more capabile) and perhaps it will steal some iPhone customers that just don't want to be associated with the Apple crowd. We'll have to wait and see. But the 5800 will seem like a copy of the iPhone yes.

On the long run Nokia has been making phones for ever, and the N-Series which stands for being mobile multimedia computers, was introduced long before the iPhone. Nokia wanted to make a capable range of phones that could do it all. the iPhone tries to copy that - in some cases out doing Nokia and the rest, and in others failing.

BTW - just have to add this bit - Vodacom employees are already using the iPhone. They always get to play with the new phones and gizmos before it hits the steets. A Vodacom client of ours from Techo Center in Bellville that was here for a meeting had one with the plastic contact still covering the screen. I am guess that it will be in stores before month end.

So fanbois - there you go - I gave you some good news for the weekend.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Sorry ... I forgot to make my comment on this article ...

http://xpressmusic.wordpress.com/2007/06/07/another-nokia-clone-the-nokla-n95/

So what's your point?

I once bought a NokLa and I hate to say it, but it could actually MMS and the video playback ability was better than that of my 6233 that I had at the time. It was the NokLa that looks like the old 8810. Obviously it only looked like the 8810 - the screen and software was much different. I sold it on BoB for a nice profit.

I also had a iPhone clone (the one that had a keypad). It was made when the first rumours of iPhone surfaced and there was talks of one with a hardware keypad. It was a pretty sweet phone, complete with Apple logos and everything :D

Keeper

Honorary Master
now, there's your problem - you used a stupid clone and saw the apple logo day after day, getting sick of it subconciously because it was a sucky iPhone clone.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
now, there's your problem - you used a stupid clone and saw the apple logo day after day, getting sick of it subconciously because it was a sucky iPhone clone.

I don't think this thread was based on assumption, or the use of a clone, but rather the comparison between 2 or more handsets - factually.