Is better to use a custom DNS over the default ISP DND?

Savy561

I have never really felt the need to change my default ISP dns settings but lately whenever i see a conversation about dns, it's always better to use a custom dns such as cloudfare's 1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9.9 or even Google's 8.8.8.8.

So my question is, is there any real world benefit in changing all my device's dns settings other than maybe slightly better page response times?

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Local DNS servers can be unreliable. Telkoms ones go down regularly. The WiSP I use also has DNS issues from time to time. I just found that 8.8.8.8 is more reliable.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Local DNS servers can be unreliable. Telkoms ones go down regularly. The WiSP I use also has DNS issues from time to time. I just found that 8.8.8.8 is more reliable.
I agree. I usually use DNSJumper to locate the fastest DNS for my specific connection/area.
I've experienced major issues with "default" DNS servers through the years.
Just don't alter any VPN service DNS, then you can just as well be without a VPN.

ponder

Honorary Master

Yip, that's why I just use the cloudfare ones.