IS News Server down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like people new to the forums are going to read 52 pages of posts before asking a question. You guys please need to be more tolerant. Back to topic - whatever that is - I get only 20k/s on my 384 on 4 connections. At that speed I will still reach the hardcap of 30 gig? So I don't see the point of anything faster unless you pay $$$ for international?

You see you do not have to pay tons to download international. Off ~R150 account a friend and i will get around 70gigs each, thats 140gigs.

Total cost: R150 + $15 a month paid news server

If we had to pay international it would cost: say R60 1gig international
R8400,which not a chance in hell could i ever afford. Cannot even afford uncapped.

But the 4mbit speeds make up for that being able to rape IS in the a$$
 
but if you look at da bouncers post 559 from january you will soon be a grand master haha

why not rape the telkom accounts wouldnt you get better speed?
 
You see you do not have to pay tons to download international. Off ~R150 account a friend and i will get around 70gigs each, thats 140gigs.

Total cost: R150 + $15 a month paid news server

If we had to pay international it would cost: say R60 1gig international
R8400,which not a chance in hell could i ever afford. Cannot even afford uncapped.

But the 4mbit speeds make up for that being able to rape IS in the a$$

So you and a friend download at 4mbit for 2 days, then you reach your hard cap? Then what about the rest of the month? Sounds excessive to me. You also paying a lot for the 4 mbit line. Unless I see it totally wrong in which case please be gentle.
 
Well, we share the accounts, at beginning of month we use one, then halfway through month we use another and end of month kill the last one ;)

so its R515 for 4mbit and R225 = R740 for 4mbit and a few hundred gigs of international.

Killadoob, get avg of 440kb/s with IS international peaking to 470kb/s. So for the cost its quite good...
 
Well, we share the accounts, at beginning of month we use one, then halfway through month we use another and end of month kill the last one ;)

so its R515 for 4mbit and R225 = R740 for 4mbit and a few hundred gigs of international.

Killadoob, get avg of 440kb/s with IS international peaking to 470kb/s. So for the cost its quite good...

Lol. I wouldnt advertise this method too much. Next thing you know IS int goes to pot as ppl start doing this as well, and then you will be left stranded on the news server front ;)
 
but if you look at da bouncers post 559 from january you will soon be a grand master haha

why not rape the telkom accounts wouldnt you get better speed?

The reason for using IS is that when a client goes over the alloted cap using Saix, the reseller has to fit the bill, but when you go over with IS....the they not the reseller fit the bill :P Interesting isnt it? Thats why IS resellers are best. Telkom accounts have not been given a test yet, but Im sure we have all read aobut guys doing 70 gigs+ on one telkom acc. lol

Style
 
The reason for using IS is that when a client goes over the alloted cap using Saix, the reseller has to fit the bill, but when you go over with IS....the they not the reseller fit the bill :P Interesting isnt it?

Style
Then use TelkomInternet and make it count ;)
 
Then use TelkomInternet and make it count ;)

I know.....but Im too lazy to sign up with them....if they had instant signups I would tear them a new a-hole with my 4mb :D talk about someone giving you a gun then u turn around and blow their head off ;)

Anyone have a fresh telkom account that wants to swap it for a webafrica 3bg or 2/28 IS? (I mean like begining of the month complete account btw) :D

Style
 
@ziglet: I heard the local news server USED to work well ;)

Ahhh yes the good old days, it was december last year i started using it. Hardly anyone knew about it, speeds were constantly maxed out 24hours a day. Never once did i find an article missing / server error. Only had to make 4connections aswell.

*sighs* *sheds a tear*
 


Thanks Zeb, I wasnt aware of it, but I might just take a look into it at the begining of next month when the pool of gigs is still there. The only things is tho will I need it for more than an experiment. It would be interesting. Can you have more than one concurrent connection on it?? Wanna go for a record Zig? ;) lol

Style
 
Thanks Zeb, I wasnt aware of it, but I might just take a look into it at the begining of next month when the pool of gigs is still there. The only things is tho will I need it for more than an experiment. It would be interesting. Can you have more than one concurrent connection on it?? Wanna go for a record Zig? ;) lol

Style

You can have two concurrent connections on it.
Also, you don't have to wait for the new month to sign on. If you sign up, say on the 20th, you'll only pay for the last 11 days even though you'll have the full bandwidth + whatever.
And I've noticed that if you keep it in your pants for the first three weeks you can usually go nuts at the end of the month without getting capped. (Don't use this as a guideline 'cause it may backfire on me the next time I do it) :p
 
since last nite my speed has been a rock solid 25KBps. lol
 
I seem to remember IS supposedly saying that at the end of last month they were going to be bringing out some "new" services for the 4mbit people?

Or was that article just to get some buzz with their name in it as telkom was getting all the glory for upgrading 1mbit to 4mbit?

Id be happy if the new service was a working news server, 15kb/s max today :(
 
ok wait, am i missing something? my grabit says: unable to connect to news.is.co.za:14654

been like that since last night. am i doing something wrong? im on my 30gig local from openweb. Also, in my router settings i have opened that port, aswell as enabled "get dns settings from isp".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X