IS News Server down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use grabit myself and have managed to set it up so it works at decent speeds. One of the other programs are however just a little more convenient. You set up the file to download and set up 2 servers with max connections etc. Then you can set it up so that it downloads the files from both servers at once, instead of having to select files individually to download from another server. This way you can set a huge queue to download without having to select half the files to download from one and other half to download from other. More convenient, just a pity none of the other programs work as well as grabit does!
 
ya i have grabit setuup like you ppl say...wit 4 concurrent connections and the 2 servers, and i set half to one server and half to the other server atm

...but ya thats kinda wat i mean bullfrog with grabit if you set like half to download from one server and the other half to download from the other server, and one server is down, then only half of your download wil finish!

with eg newsleecher, each file automatically gets downloaded from both servers.....so will finish the whole thing even if one server is down.

another thing is that if you select one server to download the second half of a new new file, chances are it wont be cached on IS news server and it wil download slowly....

but also generally with grabit i get less corrupt files, maybe its because of its setup with each rar file only downloading from one server at a time. its my old faithful :p
 
I use grabit myself and have managed to set it up so it works at decent speeds. One of the other programs are however just a little more convenient. You set up the file to download and set up 2 servers with max connections etc. Then you can set it up so that it downloads the files from both servers at once, instead of having to select files individually to download from another server. This way you can set a huge queue to download without having to select half the files to download from one and other half to download from other. More convenient, just a pity none of the other programs work as well as grabit does!

and what is the name of the 'other program' that you speak so highly of...


i dont know if any of you have tried it, but i just downloaded the new version of a beta program called 'ultraleecher'. it has automatic file extraction and automatic fixing of bad sectors, and downloads only the PAR files it needs to fix a torrent! its still a bit buggy but it has potential imo....
 
Newsbin was my preferred choice for the same reason, but just like Newsleecher it doesn't seem to work on some (if not most) downloads. The only thing that's guarenteed to work ATM is Grabit, so we have to make do with it.
 
I uninstalled the program now because it was a trial version, so I'm not sure what it was. It was either newsbin or newsleetcher.
 
newsbin has been working great for me, been getting nothing less than 200kb/s with it for everything last few days.

Currently just getting stuff of newshostings servers,ahhhh,nothing can compare :)

I really started to like newsleecher but the stupid thing bombed out on me and asks for some arb key :(
 
dude ive never seen the news servers down

this entire month i have download around 39 gigs from the news server with grabit

grabit is also good for searching is pay the 5 dolla
 
I think its starting to become more the users faults(as in they dont have a clue how to setup to use both servers with max connections) as the servers seem to be quite solid lately. Would be nice if ISP would say YES the upgrade is complete but im expecting hell to freeze over before that ever happens...
 
ya i have grabit setuup like you ppl say...wit 4 concurrent connections and the 2 servers, and i set half to one server and half to the other server atm

Which 2 servers should I use exactly? (news.isdsl.net & news.is.co.za?)
news.isdsl.net never seems to work for me...

EDIT: Wait it seems to be working now... But I can usually only download a few (ie. 100) mb's from it before it goes splat (ie. it doesn't connect anymore)
 
Last edited:
Which 2 servers should I use exactly? (news.isdsl.net & news.is.co.za?)
news.isdsl.net never seems to work for me...

I think news.isdsl.net is a backup server but it's never up for me either.
I always use news.is.co.za (line maxed out at the moment)
 
I think news.isdsl.net is a backup server but it's never up for me either.
I always use news.is.co.za (line maxed out at the moment)
That could either be very impressive (if you have a 4bmb/s line) or largely unimpressive (if you have a 384 connection syncing at 192) - which is it? :)
I think its starting to become more the users faults(as in they dont have a clue how to setup to use both servers with max connections) as the servers seem to be quite solid lately.
Come on - you use an international server too - do you have to set up a, b, c in order to get full speed downloads cos I sure dont. It's not the users fault.
 
Last edited:
Come on - you use an international server too - do you have to set up a, b, c in order to get full speed downloads cos I sure dont. It's not the users fault.

Yea i guess, but with the limiting of 4connections to each server and looks like a limit on the speed for each connection, it is possible to get good speeds, they just have to setup their news client properly...

But then comparing it to and international server is like a ferrari to a citi golf :(

*edit: w00t pirates of carribean 2 dvdrip just came out ;)
 
lol....i got superman dvd rip but apparently its not the final dvd-rip....its 1.4 gigs
 
tried to watch superman lnite, 10mins later, i deleted it, useless. I give Jackass 2 a higher rating ;)
 
Ziglet that DVDRip is fake :( all the DVDRip's have been nuked, the official release date for the DVDRip is Descember I think but Amazon or similair should be able to confirm. Until then don't expect any DVDRip's to actually be real. It's best to only download DVDRip's from reputable release groups.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X